Carillion enters liquidation.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I dealt with their FM part of the business. Very poor. Their M.O. seemed to be to keep chopping and changing key staff so you could never get issues resolved. In the end, after a couple of years soldiering on with a disaster of a contract you get rid, but they’ve had their money by then. Poor control of sub-contractors and poor financial control were also common.

I do hope you're not casting any aspersions about the finest RC Subby in the World, Heyrod Construction?!

47 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I’m currently reading How To Own The World on the Kindle App. Just finished Chapter 2, so I don’t own the World as yet. However, the summary at the end notes:

IN SUMMARY

Most non-professional investors are at risk of losing money and making bad investments because they really don’t know what they are doing.

That's the kind of statement where no one really learns anything fruitful.

A very good, old, book about investing is "The Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham.

Graham was the inspiration for Warren Buffett.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

I’m currently reading How To Own The World on the Kindle App. Just finished Chapter 2, so I don’t own the World as yet. However, the summary at the end notes:

IN SUMMARY

Most non-professional investors are at risk of losing money and making bad investments because they really don’t know what they are doing.

I’m hoping he can get on with letting me know how to own the World because I’m flagging a bit. If he advises buying shares in Carillion I’ll have my doubts.

Read these two books and you'll know EVERYTHING!

oEXYFZw.jpg.be84252eaebd5dbe847da9009b1c0015.jpg

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Has anyone on here had any dealings with Carillion? My experience with them wasn’t positive. They seemed a bit of a shambles.

The facilities management side used to sub-contract us in for maintenance works at various sites, shambles is fairly accurate.  We turned up to service some electrical switchgear at the Tax Office once, we ask the guy to prove that the equipment is "dead" before we start works and he says "whit d'ye mean, dead?". Apparently he didn't see the need to shut off the electricity to the equipment we were going to be working on and asked "can't you just do it live?".  Sadly it's quite difficult to clean the contacts of electrical equipment when there are 2000 amps flowing through them.  After a few hours of phone calls between him and our office it was then postponed. I don't think we've been called back to site since.

This is quite common for FM companies in my experience though. The folk they employed to look after the site generally don't have a scooby and all they can do is phone for help.

Whilst the government will rightly not bail out this private company there will still be a significant cost to the taxpayers*.

Redundancy payments will be met in part by public payment, pension shortfalls will be met in part by public payment, HMRC is no longer a preferred creditor so there will probably be all sorts of taxes (PAYE, NI, VAT) that will be underpaid.  

* No I’m not a Daily Mail reader.

2 hours ago, sjc said:

I've never worked for them but have as either a PM or an Engineer for an RC Sub Contractor on their site. Found them ok tbh. That said I remember having to teach their Scouse Engineer pythagoras!

didn't have a mate from Newcastle called Oz did he?

moxey.png.9e56f738f680e72667b821255cee2b07.png

26 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Whilst the government will rightly not bail out this private company there will still be a significant cost to the taxpayers*.

Redundancy payments will be met in part by public payment, pension shortfalls will be met in part by public payment, HMRC is no longer a preferred creditor so there will probably be all sorts of taxes (PAYE, NI, VAT) that will be underpaid.  

* No I’m not a Daily Mail reader.

Sub contractors and suppliers will  be bottom of the queue for payouts no doubt. Banks will probably swallow up the lot.

1 minute ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

where do shareholders come in the pecking order?

Very bottom, they won't get a penny. Bear in mind my entire knowledge of this stuff comes from the early days of BRALT.

I do hope you're not casting any aspersions about the finest RC Subby in the World, Heyrod Construction?!

No, it wasn’t them. To be fair the subbies I happened across on sites were good. Carillion managing them was like having a dead person as a middle man.

That's the kind of statement where no one really learns anything fruitful.
A very good, old, book about investing is "The Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham.
Graham was the inspiration for Warren Buffett.

Read these two books and you'll know EVERYTHING!

oEXYFZw.jpg.be84252eaebd5dbe847da9009b1c0015.jpg

Only just finished Chapter 2. Might be the best book ever.

53 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

didn't have a mate from Newcastle called Oz did he?

moxey.png.9e56f738f680e72667b821255cee2b07.png

No chance. I doubt even Jays family like the c**t!

13 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

No, it wasn’t them. To be fair the subbies I happened across on sites were good. Carillion managing them was like having a dead person as a middle man.

I must have been lucky in my dealing with them. Dodgy Scouse Engineer aside!

41 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You didn't just buy them last week in the hope of making a killing when they got bailed out, Northern Rock style?

Nah. Bought them a few months back when they were in free-fall. Without wanting to sound like Theo Paphitis, it was a bit of a punt so I won't be homeless if the share's end up worthless.

I also sold all my William Hill shares due to the imminent gambling review and the limitation on the FOBT cash cows. They've been on the up since the second I clicked the SELL button. 

Not sure I'm cut out for this malarkey 

2 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Nah. Bought them a few months back when they were in free-fall. Without wanting to sound like Theo Paphitis, it was a bit of a punt so I won't be homeless if the share's end up worthless.

I also sold all my William Hill shares due to the imminent gambling review and the limitation on the FOBT cash cows. They've been on the up since the second I clicked the SELL button. 

Not sure I'm cut out for this malarkey 

Thought I was rich last night betting against the market, backing Real Sociedad at home to Barca. They went 2-0 up and lost 2-4. No gain without risk.

Archived