The Storm that saved a City

Dindeleux

Did anyone watch this documentary on BBC the other night about the 1968 storm that tore through Glasgow and played a part in the regeneration of the city? I thought it was excellent.

It’s available on iPlayer if you are interested.

I know they covered it in the program but it’s astounding to think all that great architecture across Glasgow could have been lost and quite a big percent already was before they took another route.

Good programme, was talking to my faither about it last night.  

Remembering the storm, he told me the bus driver who lived across the close from them left the house at 3am to take miners to work. He got blown 50 yards up the street and decided at that point not to bother going for his bus. He had to crawl back to the close, sheltered by a low wall!

Before I was born, but my parents and brother lived in a top floor tenement flat on Petershill Road at the time. My Dad said he looked out the window at one point just as almost all the tiles on the roof of the building opposite were torn off. That was the point they decided they might be better off in my gran's house which was only one floor up in the next close.

Excellent programme, couldn't help but have a chuckle though when the guy was talking about how his dog blew away.

Archived