A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

9 hours ago, Eednud said:

Not sure if this has already been posted but it wouldn’t happen nowadays. Dundee v Aberdeen at Dens Park on New Year’s Day 1936. Result was a 2-2 draw and crowd given as 21,000. 

09406602-CCEC-4B54-98DE-7C81F233CF40.jpeg

Such disgraceful conditions wouldn't be allowed these days and the game would have been off...someone might slip on the life threatening slush on the killer terracings.

11 hours ago, Eednud said:

Not sure if this has already been posted but it wouldn’t happen nowadays. Dundee v Aberdeen at Dens Park on New Year’s Day 1936. Result was a 2-2 draw and crowd given as 21,000. 

09406602-CCEC-4B54-98DE-7C81F233CF40.jpeg

The boy on the right with his arms folded looks offside.

21 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

There's no doubt Dundee coped badly with the re-organisation of the leagues from 75-76. I think going into the last day's fixture Dundee, Dundee United and Aberdeen could all have been relegated. Not sure what Aberdeen's result was, but United produced a shock 2-1 win at Ibrox to stay up.

Not quite. United vs Rangers was played on the Tuesday after Dundee had played their last game. The Rangers vs United game had been postponed from earlier in the season.  United started the game one point behind Dundee but with a better goal difference. Rangers had clinched the title a few weeks previously so had nothing to play for and had a number of players away in the Scotland squad. United held on for a goalless draw which featured Hamish McAlpine hitting the post from a penalty and having to sprint back 90 yards to get back in his goal. Dundee were relegated on goal difference behind both Aberdeen and United who within a few years established themselves as the "New Firm".  Dundee responded by swapping their best player (Gordon Strachan) for Aberdeen's Jim Shirra  because they thought the 1st division would be too physical for the wee ginger nyaff and unsuccessfully tried to kick their way back to the top flight. Decades of hilarity ensued.

Wouldn't be possible nowadays with the final games all being played simultaneously and no domestic games in international weeks. 

C-hdMB6XYAEQtTM.jpg:large

13 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Call me cynical. but it's a bit odd that they allowed a photographer onto the pitch during a match.

There's always been something unreal about it, as is a few photos have been cobbled together, but it's been around for years and used in publications so I've just taken it as genuine. They must have had better telephoto lenses in the 30's than I thought though!

10 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

Not quite. United vs Rangers was played on the Tuesday after Dundee had played their last game. The Rangers vs United game had been postponed from earlier in the season.  United started the game one point behind Dundee but with a better goal difference. Rangers had clinched the title a few weeks previously so had nothing to play for and had a number of players away in the Scotland squad. United held on for a goalless draw which featured Hamish McAlpine hitting the post from a penalty and having to sprint back 90 yards to get back in his goal. Dundee were relegated on goal difference behind both Aberdeen and United who within a few years established themselves as the "New Firm".  Dundee responded by swapping their best player (Gordon Strachan) for Aberdeen's Jim Shirra  because they thought the 1st division would be too physical for the wee ginger nyaff and unsuccessfully tried to kick their way back to the top flight. Decades of hilarity ensued.

Wouldn't be possible nowadays with the final games all being played simultaneously and no domestic games in international weeks. 

C-hdMB6XYAEQtTM.jpg:large

Did nobody tell The Rangers players what Dundee Utd's former name was?

2 hours ago, 7-2 said:

There's always been something unreal about it, as is a few photos have been cobbled together, but it's been around for years and used in publications so I've just taken it as genuine. They must have had better telephoto lenses in the 30's than I thought though!

Yeah I've seen it a few times over the years; only struck me as looking odd this time.  It's a funny one: it's possible it did happen during the game, but two things: there was a massive crowd at Dens that day (22,000)– you wouldn't think that looking at the terracing behind Robertson.  And it's strange that no match reports I've read even mention the pitch.

I wonder if the pic might have been taken during a warm up?

Edited by Mr Heliums

Rangers 2 Bayern Munich 0, April 1972. The Bayern team included Maier, Müller, Breitner, Schwarzenbeck, Beckenbauer and Hoeness, all of whom won the World Cup with West Germany two years later.

gl1433053.thumb.jpg.b3238cbc43499bf1a27e344715695e18.jpg16f7bff572dd7ae6bba10e7e39f248ee.jpg.661f857dc0f089c4dd6622fba0897a84.jpg

Edited by The Mantis

hamburg.jpg.218ee6647fd095410a445b2550a8b6f6.jpg

St Johnstone 3-0 Hamburg, at Muirton Park. 

Probably our best ever result. I wasn't even born for it, and I'm immensely jealous of all who were there to witness it. 

Also, the two greatest keepers of the 90s meet at last.. 

_61105866_pa-342571.jpg.7c48cc5bc79ef8c783502a0927a91675.jpg

Game finished 3-3, the Monaco team that night was outrageous.. 

Barthez, Marquez, Lamouchi, Simone, Legwinski, Leonard, Sagnol, Prso, N'Diaye, Irles, Riise. Subs: Contreras, Giuly, Trezeguet, Gallardo, Sarnerud, Rodriguez, Sylva

Edited by RandomGuy.

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 08:16, jupe1407 said:

There's no doubt Dundee coped badly with the re-organisation of the leagues from 75-76. I think going into the last day's fixture Dundee, Dundee United and Aberdeen could all have been relegated. Not sure what Aberdeen's result was, but United produced a shock 2-1 win at Ibrox to stay up. Back in August, Dundee Wilson Hoggan had scored the first goal of the season and new set up. 

Dundee's problems boiled down to boardroom and dressing room politics in the early 70s. Jim McLean had been an integral part of Dundee's late 60s and early 70s success, but was controversially overlooked for the Manager's job when it came up. I think Davie White got it instead, McLean went to United, and although White won the League Cup the decline would set in pretty quickly. Following the win in 1973, a few of the players went to McLean's house to celebrate, White took it as a personal slight, and within 2-3 years, all the players involved had been punted, including the prolific Jocky Scott. 

Dundee's problems since then have largely been down to boardroom fuckwittery. The Gellatly's were tight arses, Angus Cook was both mental and a crook, Ron Dixon was bonkers and lost interest, The Marrs' business planning was fucking nuts, Calum Melville was a fantasist, we had the fans running it for a while before handing over control to Nelms etc. Indeed, our current board are probably the most stable we've had since the early 80s. 

The Dons beat Hibs, if I remember correctly.

Watching Dundee's travails since has sent shivers up my spine from time to time, thinking "That could have been us."

On 2/13/2018 at 16:24, Crawford Bridge said:

Always liked that Hibs and Celtc never bothered with away strips when playing each other.

When did the authorities decide this wasn't on anymore?

No idea when it stopped but here's a pic from some point in the early 70s where Rangers visited RP and both teams wore their home kits. I've seen pics from the mid-60s of us playing St. Johnstone where both teams are in their home kits too. I say bring this sort of nonsense back.

f52.jpg.6f4541a927ae3e4bc8eea79ee9e2a2a7

14 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

No idea when it stopped but here's a pic from some point in the early 70s where Rangers visited RP and both teams wore their home kits. I've seen pics from the mid-60s of us playing St. Johnstone where both teams are in their home kits too. I say bring this sort of nonsense back.

f52.jpg.6f4541a927ae3e4bc8eea79ee9e2a2a7

I'm sure I've read (probably on here) that the reason behind Motherwell's choice of colours was to avoid the need for an away strip. Cheap b*****ds. 

Also, I never realised BBC snooker presenter Rob Walker was that old. Or played professional football.

Image result for rob walker bbc presenter

Uncanny.

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

Just now, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I'm sure I've read (probably on here) that the reason behind Motherwell's choice of colours was to avoid the need for an away strip. Cheap b*****ds. 

Also, I never realised BBC snooker presenter Rob Walker was that old. Or played professional football.

Image result for rob walker bbc presenter

Uncanny.

I fucking hate the p***k.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

The Dons beat Hibs, if I remember correctly.

Watching Dundee's travails since has sent shivers up my spine from time to time, thinking "That could have been us."

They did, 3-0  Here's the results from that season and other stuff from rsssf.com http://www.rsssf.com/tabless/scot76.html

Not really part of the discussion but that first season of the 10 team league, despite their troubles, all showed significant increases in attendances, which of course was the whole point of the new division. Aberdeen up 21% Dundee up 18% United up 15%

ETA if Aberdeen had been relegated that season would McLeod have been sacked? We probably wouldn't have got McNeil which would have meant no Ferguson ...it disna bear thinkin aboot min

Edited by EdTheDuck