Elgin City Vs Cowdenbeath

Don't get me wrong - Ferguson couldn't do any worse than what we are putting out at the moment. My biggest gripe with Soapy being punted up top on his own is the fact it is taking Elgin's best player out of his best position. If we had someone to adequately fill that void then I'd happily play Cameron up top ahead of anyone else we have as footballing quality and intelligence are better than pace and two left feet!

Exactly my point. He has consistently been one of our best players over the last few years and to stick him up front is an insult to the work he's done. I quite believe Brian would play anywhere if asked but we need him in the middle.

I made the same argument about Jordan Allen a few weeks ago, as I genuinely thought he could have been the forward we needed, but he's defied all of us by turning in to a solid full back. Any hidden strikers playing in defence!?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

. Any hidden strikers playing in defence!?

Sure McHardy would fancy it but can't see it being as successful! If Jordan goes back up top then he will need the wide players to be much more productive than they are at the moment. Lad from Caley looks decent and has pace to burn but neither he or the ever unproductive Sutherland look like producing decent chances at the moment.

Sure McHardy would fancy it but can't see it being as successful! If Jordan goes back up top then he will need the wide players to be much more productive than they are at the moment. Lad from Caley looks decent and has pace to burn but neither he or the ever unproductive Sutherland look like producing decent chances at the moment.

It was a few years ago now but I do remember McHardy playing up front in a friendly against Fraserburgh..

His partner up front was none other than Ross Jack.

38 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

We had no shots on target all game. We don’t do scoring.

According to the SPFL we had 3 shots on target out of 5, but these are the same clowns who said Elgin had 6 shots and 7 of them on target!

5 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:
5 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

It was a few years ago now but I do remember McHardy playing up front in a friendly against Fraserburgh..

His partner up front was none other than Ross Jack.

Lol, presumably so Jack could get himself a players wage to go with his overpaid managers money!?

4 minutes ago, PELE said:

46 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

We had no shots on target all game. We don’t do scoring.

According to the SPFL we had 3 shots on target out of 5, but these are the same clowns who said Elgin had 6 shots and 7 of them on target!

If this true of either team then my definition of "shot on goal" differs greatly from whoever creates them stats!!

Stats must be the three games put together! Agree with comments about wide players. They are not producing enough. I have been keen to see Ally get a run but afraid to say he is not producing. Caley lad goes on a few good runs but no end product whether cross or pass.

I agree with an number of the previous comments about Soapy being played out of position, Allan being a solid left back and why Ferguson not getting a chance. Thought our loanee was invisible and when he got the ball did nothing. I surprised that he didn't get get hooked instead of Sutherland. 

I assumed the second yellow card leading to the sending off was for mouthing off. The most exciting moment, after the goal, was the bottle being kicked into the stand by the Cowden asst manager. 

Dreadful performance by both teams.  But as others have said - winning ugly.

I thought we'd set up as 4-6-0, which in effect we had.  Soapy is not, never has been, and never will be a striker.   I'd even have had Chris Mcleish on up front instead and dropped Brian back into midfield.  I suppose the problem is that we have a team?squad full of midfielders and very few forwards. 

Do we have any strikers in the under 20s?  Or even 17s..  got to be worth a go.

55 minutes ago, Am Muilleach said:

Dreadful performance by both teams.  But as others have said - winning ugly.

I thought we'd set up as 4-6-0, which in effect we had.  Soapy is not, never has been, and never will be a striker.   I'd even have had Chris Mcleish on up front instead and dropped Brian back into midfield.  I suppose the problem is that we have a team?squad full of midfielders and very few forwards. 

Do we have any strikers in the under 20s?  Or even 17s..  got to be worth a go.

Best team won. We would still be playing if we had to play until we scored.

Elgin are a shadow of the team we played earlier this season. What's happened?

IMO the main reason is our lack of strikers. It has meant playing players out of position, which in turn has led to a lack of confidence and an unbalanced side. It looks to me that Price has accepted that we lack the striker so has started setting the team up to be solid defensively with the hope of knicking the odd goal and winning the game. I fear it will be like this till the end of the season unless  we find said striker which is unlikely.

3 hours ago, gordon9736 said:

I assumed the second yellow card leading to the sending off was for mouthing off.

for a blatant and unnecessary trip in the middle of the park, a ludicrous thing for miller to do having just been booked in the run up to half time, he left the ref with no choice and really sold the jerseys

Another tough day at the office.Kyle Miller's needless booking  for dissent (and how often have I written that),ultimately cost us at least a point. Kudos to the ten men who gave it absolutely everything only to come up just short. We picked up a few injuries too none serious I hope. I honestly don't think that we are as bad as some of the posters are saying.

3 hours ago, iateallthepies said:

Another tough day at the office.Kyle Miller's needless booking  for dissent (and how often have I written that),ultimately cost us at least a point. Kudos to the ten men who gave it absolutely everything only to come up just short. We picked up a few injuries too none serious I hope. I honestly don't think that we are as bad as some of the posters are saying.

You are correct - Elgin won because they had 11 v 10 for 45 minutes - otherwise nothing between the teams.  We had two shots on goal by Brad Smith not none.  The effort put in by 10 men was exemplary without even taking into account McInally staying on with his hamstring injury to avoid us going down to 9.  Brad Smith again showed flair and imagination.  Malone showed some promise - yes he needs to enhance his fitness, Reilly put in a great shift for a lad who hasn’t been getting a regular game, Whittaker made a good contribution too - it’s a work in progress but excessive negativity isn’t going to help CFC

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

You are correct - Elgin won because they had 11 v 10 for 45 minutes - otherwise nothing between the teams

Can't argue with that but unfortunately for Cowdenbeath you aren't factoring in just how poor Elgin were! We would have lost against any other team in the league on Saturday! Cowden ran their arses off especially with 10 men so can't question the commitment but there looked a distinct lack of game winning quality! 

28 minutes ago, Briggsy's Ghost said:

Can't argue with that but unfortunately for Cowdenbeath you aren't factoring in just how poor Elgin were! We would have lost against any other team in the league on Saturday! Cowden ran their arses off especially with 10 men so can't question the commitment but there looked a distinct lack of game winning quality! 

You can’t argue with it but you then argue with it?  Why do I have to factor in how poor Elgin were if all I am saying is there was nothing between the teams in the match in question

Archived