Elgin City Vs Cowdenbeath

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's good, it's a handy attribute when the silky stuff fails.

The ship seems to have been steadied this last couple of weeks, and although Clyde and Cowdenbeath are obviously no great shakes, 6 points is better than I had hoped for (and looked unlikely) a fortnight ago.

Handy attribute to have - but we're still struggling to create chances. A goal from our centre half 5 minutes before time isn't going to come around too often.

Still, an awful game is always made better with a win. We've stopped the rot at least!

Starting the game with no obvious striker is a bit worrying. Cameron is much better coming forward from midfield. This said, he is more of a threat than Chris McLeish. The team kept going though and got a much deserved win. Jordan Allan is A star by the way. Hope the injury is nothing serious.

Not the best game but any win is greatly appreciated. Strange way to set the team up against a team like Cowdenbeath. It made it very congested in the middle cause  it was easier for them to push the defence up. Think we could have won a more open game by a few goals. Can't fault Cowdenbeath's effort especially with 10 men but they look bang in trouble. We look woefully short up top and completely agree that Cameron up front on his own is a bit of a waste of a quality midfielder. Could try Jordan Allen back up there but I'd be loathed to move him from full back because, as mentioned, he really has been excellent there!

Agree with other posters. Never thought I would see Elgin start against the bottom team in the League without a recognised striker and Cameron playing there was completely isolated. What a difference a quality striker would make! Our best creative player completely isolated out of the game and therefore largely ineffective. Get him in the middle even if it means sacrificing Reilly.  Agree about Jordan, he has been great at full back. Cowdenbeath are no better than an average HL side and  I would be really worried if I were them. Hope they get a few players in because at moment wouldn't fancy them to beat Cove.

21 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

Is Price afraid to give Calum Ferguson any game time? I don't understand why we persist with Cameron who has never been a forward.

Think Ferguson was just a last minute panic signing to satiate Weir's fetish for 5' 9 forwards/wingers. Can't see him being the answer TBH although no-one else looks like doing much! One of these small mobile forwards that don't look like scoring will probably cement a place in the team when/if Shane Sutherland comes back as the runs and threat of pace provide him with space and a target when he turns with the ball. IMHO we need to play 2 up top (maybe Cameron as a deeper forward) because we always look laboured and a little lost with 5 in the middle.

On 09/12/2017 at 18:57, forfarfred said:

Now, now JJ is not as bright as that  :P

28 minutes ago, 1GregStewart said:

Elgin must have got a lot worse. 

Our best player goes off injured early on. Then a man sent off before half time. Then another injured after the 3 subs made. Scrape a goal in last 5 but unconvincing.

We are rank but believe me if you can't beat us you are in a bad way. Your team was playing for a draw right from the start when we were there for the taking. You had no shots on goal first half.

Think Ferguson was just a last minute panic signing to satiate Weir's fetish for 5' 9 forwards/wingers. Can't see him being the answer TBH although no-one else looks like doing much! One of these small mobile forwards that don't look like scoring will probably cement a place in the team when/if Shane Sutherland comes back as the runs and threat of pace provide him with space and a target when he turns with the ball. IMHO we need to play 2 up top (maybe Cameron as a deeper forward) because we always look laboured and a little lost with 5 in the middle.

Sure, but at least we're talking about a forward that actually has experience of up front. Brian Cameron being shoehorned in to a role he hasn't played in all his years in the first team benefits absolutely no one.

2 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

We are rank but believe me if you can't beat us you are in a bad way. Your team was playing for a draw right from the start when we were there for the taking. You had no shots on goal first half.

I'm not sure we did either TBF. We were abject today but Cowdenbeath never really looked like taking advantage. They are also a team full of pretty short players (rare to see a team that don't tower over Elgin) so digging in and getting a bit physical isn't an option. Really need a few players or I think we may be playing a new name next year!

9 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

We had no shots on target all game. We don’t do scoring.

19 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

Sure, but at least we're talking about a forward that actually has experience of up front. Brian Cameron being shoehorned in to a role he hasn't played in all his years in the first team benefits absolutely no one.

Don't get me wrong - Ferguson couldn't do any worse than what we are putting out at the moment. My biggest gripe with Soapy being punted up top on his own is the fact it is taking Elgin's best player out of his best position. If we had someone to adequately fill that void then I'd happily play Cameron up top ahead of anyone else we have as footballing quality and intelligence are better than pace and two left feet!

24 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Yes we are in a bad way. Kind of backs up my point about how far backwards Elgin have gone.

since Bollan has come in we have set up for a draw every game.

Archived