West Juniors

So my club Talbot's last four fixtures was Hill of Beath away in the Scottish, Kilwinning at home, Glenafton away, and today Kilbirnie at home, all in the league, next week Cumnock away in the Scottish. Can anyone please tell me how joining the much vaunted pyramid could better that? 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Isabel Goudie said:

So my club Talbot's last four fixtures was Hill of Beath away in the Scottish, Kilwinning at home, Glenafton away, and today Kilbirnie at home, all in the league, next week Cumnock away in the Scottish. Can anyone please tell me how joining the much vaunted pyramid could better that? 

So my club Talbot's last four fixtures was East Fife away in the Scottish, Kilwinning at home, Glenafton away, and today Kilbirnie at home, all in the league, next week Ayr United away in the Scottish

Don’t forget a trip to Pollok two weeks later, a game that has every chance (based on previous attendances) of being in the top 15 attended games in Scotland that weekend.

6 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

So my club Talbot's last four fixtures was East Fife away in the Scottish, Kilwinning at home, Glenafton away, and today Kilbirnie at home, all in the league, next week Ayr United away in the Scottish

On the mind benders again Burnie? 

Have to agree with Burnie man on this. I honestly think the juniors time as it stands is numbered. Amuses me when I see Goudie posting on here and is then taken aback if he is questioned about it lol

What goes up must come down. If the top Junior sides were to reach up into the top leagues then it might be goodnight for the likes of Clyde and a few others further up the leagues. What about teams with money problems.

Rangers v St Roch's anyone.

22 hours ago, BANKIEBILL said:

Talbot will be in pyramid within 5 years. West league will be the catalyst that will see the change. Would be better seeing the Juniors engage positively with it as a natural evolution in Scottish Non-league  

You get mixed messages from the Talbot posters that are or have been involved with their regeneration committee on here. Another guy that posts a lot has said a WoS league whets the appetite for a move in a way the SoS league does not.

2 hours ago, Glenconner said:

What goes up must come down. If the top Junior sides were to reach up into the top leagues then it might be goodnight for the likes of Clyde and a few others further up the leagues. What about teams with money problems.

Rangers v St Roch's anyone.

I can see there eventually being some kind of self-protectionism legislated by the SFA to prevent cases like that happening, considering the amount of top/second flight sides that have gone into administration or liquidation over the last decade or so - let's face it, we won't have seen the last of it either...there's probably very few clubs in the top two divisions that AREN'T more or less on the bones of their arses.

Basically a points deduction or demotion to a set level  - SPFL 2? - written in stone. There is a logic to it I suppose - say a Partick Thistle/Motherwell or someone of that stature went bust and returned - nearly all the SoS bar Heston and also most of the LL parks would be simply unable to cope logistically with the crowds they'd bring if they were demoted to the lowest level of the current pyramid. You can also add in the self-interest of the top teams who would be reluctant to lose decentish fanbases for a full six or seven years.

That's certainly what happens in the likes of Italy when a big club gets busted down - they go to Serie C rather than right down to Terza Categoria Dilettanti.

But yeah, there are some clubs in the current SPFL who must be very worried by current developments - Clyde, as you mentioned, are one who seem increasingly desperate going by their recent actions. Cowdenbeath definitely seem to be on their way out, and it's hard to see a way back for them if/when they do. Kelty have played a blinder if they do disappear into oblivion, being a couple of miles up the road and ideally placed to replace them. 

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 02:40, Harry's Corner said:

Have to agree with Burnie man on this. I honestly think the juniors time as it stands is numbered. Amuses me when I see Goudie posting on here and is then taken aback if he is questioned about it lol

au contraire my man, I welcome debate. However what has happened is that those who vehemently defend the pyramid system seem to think I am equally vehemently against it. Not at all, a proper fair sensible pyramid  system that helps create a vibrant non league scene would be great. The trouble is, what we have is an unadulterated shambles littered with anomaly and frankly is discriminatory. There is nothing sensible about it, but some just won't concede the fact that it is a shambles.

Just to recap on some of the ludicrous aspects, we have two Junior teams who have been granted a club licence and remain Junior, no other Junior club can have this privilege. Junior clubs from the north can't be in the pyramid, Junior clubs from the west can but only if they join the SOS league which is completely out the question. We have 5th  grade teams in the HL who wouldn't compete in a half decent Sunday league, and 6th tier clubs in the EOS and SOS of a similar standard. Some clubs who are in comparison giants are placed beneath them and have no pathway to change this. Equally clubs of Sunday league standard stay 5th or 6th tier. We have a 5th tier LL who have fast tracked sports clubs and boys clubs into 5th tier to make up the numbers, hardly anyone watches them.

So, my posts are much maligned by the pro pyramid squad, but are also misinterpreted. I would welcome a proper pyramid. I consider my club would find their true level within it and be of great value to it. However at the moment the system promotes and retains clubs way above their station, and blocks clubs who have huge resources and support and in actual fact is the complete opposite of the, much vaunted, pyramid philosophy.  I am very vocal because of the preposterous nature of this and the never ending stream of acolytes who promote  what we have as the way forward.

7 minutes ago, Isabel Goudie said:

au contraire my man, I welcome debate. However what has happened is that those who vehemently defend the pyramid system seem to think I am equally vehemently against it. Not at all, a proper fair sensible pyramid  system that helps create a vibrant non league scene would be great. The trouble is, what we have is an unadulterated shambles littered with anomaly and frankly is discriminatory. There is nothing sensible about it, but some just won't concede the fact that it is a shambles.

Just to recap on some of the ludicrous aspects, we have two Junior teams who have been granted a club licence and remain Junior, no other Junior club can have this privilege. Junior clubs from the north can't be in the pyramid, Junior clubs from the west can but only if they join the SOS league which is completely out the question. We have 5th  grade teams in the HL who wouldn't compete in a half decent Sunday league, and 6th tier clubs in the EOS and SOS of a similar standard. Some clubs who are in comparison giants are placed beneath them and have no pathway to change this. Equally clubs of Sunday league standard stay 5th or 6th tier. We have a 5th tier LL who have fast tracked sports clubs and boys clubs into 5th tier to make up the numbers, hardly anyone watches them.

So, my posts are much maligned by the pro pyramid squad, but are also misinterpreted. I would welcome a proper pyramid. I consider my club would find their true level within it and be of great value to it. However at the moment the system promotes and retains clubs way above their station, and blocks clubs who have huge resources and support and in actual fact is the complete opposite of the, much vaunted, pyramid philosophy.  I am very vocal because of the preposterous nature of this and the never ending stream of acolytes who promote  what we have as the way forward.

Great post Isa , my sentiments exactly  (and lots of others I suspect) 

In truth, The Pyramid needs the Juniors more than the Juniors need the Pyramid under the current setup.

23 minutes ago, Isabel Goudie said:

I am very vocal because of the preposterous nature of this and the never ending stream of acolytes who promote  what we have as the way forward.

"acolytes", oh dear are you alright?

People disagree with you, the pyramid isn't going to be retrofitted for the benefit of Talbot, get over it.

Don't know if it's a myth people saying the pyramid will sort out the senior slackers like east Stirling ,Clyde etc when they lose their league place , people said east stirling would fold with relegation etc , is there any evidence of any real Demise since they went into the lowland league ? If anything maybe it's a bit fresh to them and their fans .

The Shire are on a great run of form at the moment and have a reasonably easy run in, so I wouldn't completely rule them out on making the playoffs. Overall I think they've found their natural level if they don't complete the miracle ending to this season after their shaky start and are now in an environment where they can win more often than they lose, which is easier on the supporters. Used to go and watch them quite a bit when they were rooted at the bottom of the second division in the 80s and the old Shire Park was a grim and joyless place to be a lot of the time. That's what pyramids are supposed to do. It avoids the scenario of having perennial strugglers emerge like Muirkirk, Newmains, the now defunct Steelend Vics, Forfar Albion or Cruden Bay.

Archived