Dalkeith, next Junior giant to take the plunge.

7 hours ago, Robert James said:

Is this the whisky talking from Pyramid devotees, or "chatter" led by the Old Firm  to promote their player development through to elevation to the SPFL ?   Can't see Rangers & Celtic settling for a tier 6 league below the Lowland.

Even if the "chatter" has any credibility, we are already in the second half of January, and interested Junior Clubs would need more time to  have committee meetings, consult with fans, consider the impact on players, etc. Also, are the SJFC aware of this ?

Not enough time for next season, and the absence of leaks from any West junior clubs  clubs, suggests this is fake news. (Don't let Donald Trump know). 

It's not fake news and it is happening it may not be next season but it's happening.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Dunc the drunk said:

Dalkeith were hammered in a play off a few seasons back by a poor Kelty team . All this nonsense because  Kelty in turn  buy there way to a couple of Super League titles, Tam Courts gets hailed the new Bill Shankly and are too big for the juniors. Third Lanark anyone?

You're wrong about Kelty being poor, they were a strong side and a very good club at that point too.

The league table doesn't lie, but look at the fixtures towards the end of that season, 2 games within a week including a draw with Boness and 1-0 loss to Camelon... leaving Carnoustie with a target to hit over 4 games. 

1 point would have taken Kelty 3 places up the league, finishing above the now defunct Ballingry.

As for the playoff, Dalkeith had to wait about 2 or 3 weeks without a competitive fixture before the game.  Ah, the glorious Juniors!

15 hours ago, Unknown Fan said:

Your source for that?

This season if Cove get promoted and Cowden, Clyde or Edinburgh get relegated then 2 go down from LL to respective leagues anyway.

It was my best mates neighbour, his brother in law told him.

Sounds like it could happen this season by default, and possibly next season to facilitate the WoS league if that gets off the ground.

10 hours ago, Dunc the drunk said:

What’s the point in me repeating the benefits of junior Football  that many others before me have already stated. Dalkeith are no giants, they were hammered in a play off a few seasons back by a poor Kelty team . All this nonsense because  Kelty in turn  buy there way to a couple of Super League titles, Tam Courts gets hailed the new Bill Shankly and are too big for the juniors. Third Lanark anyone?

The core of that Kelty team that fought off relegation was the same as the one that then won the title, additions were minimal! Jealous much......

Everyone loves to have a pop at teams that are successful and most of the time I have no idea why.

58 minutes ago, Che Dail said:

You're wrong about Kelty being poor, they were a strong side and a very good club at that point too.

The league table doesn't lie, but look at the fixtures towards the end of that season, 2 games within a week including a draw with Boness and 1-0 loss to Camelon... leaving Carnoustie with a target to hit over 4 games. 

1 point would have taken Kelty 3 places up the league, finishing above the now defunct Ballingry.

As for the playoff, Dalkeith had to wait about 2 or 3 weeks without a competitive fixture before the game.  Ah, the glorious Juniors!

Was it your best mates neighbour that told you winning 5 games from 30 and finishing 3rd bottom some 46 points behind Bo’ness is a strong side?

As for the play-off , surely having 3 weeks to prepare, opposed to just having played 2 games in a week is an advantage.

14 hours ago, GordonS said:

The ceiling for Junior teams is winning the Champions League. Think about it.

Anyway, Newton Stewart weren't suddenly elevated in status just because the SPFL opened up a play-off. All it means is that they are in the lowest echelons of a pyramid, while there are clearly many very superior clubs not in that pyramid. 

It's a matter of fact, not opinion, that they are parallel. You could only argue against that if you could say that Tier 6 was better than the top of the Juniors. Would you like to try to make that case?

No, you think about it.

Using the English pyramid as a model, it would be correct to say that Burton Albion have climbed up to Championship level from non-league.  Whilst unlikely, at the moment, they could at one point end up in the Premiership & qualify for Europe.

If you don't want to embrace new ideas keep your head firmly buried in the sand. 

It has been explained before that a period of natural settlement would take place in a pyramid.  Until then, any club would have to admit they were lower not parallel.

In simple parlance, it's called working your way up.

1 hour ago, Dunc the drunk said:

Was it your best mates neighbour that told you winning 5 games from 30 and finishing 3rd bottom some 46 points behind Bo’ness is a strong side?

No I just used my own judgement for that which was proved right as they won the super league the following season.

Your attack on Thomas Courts though... where to start? Been at the club over 10 years including time as a player, cutting his teeth as manager and keeping them in the league in his first season.  They'd spent a lot of cash sorting out drainage and other issues at the ground that year, hence the pressures on the playing side.

After that, if there's a manager with a better record right now in East Region non-league football let us know.

54 minutes ago, Che Dail said:

No I just used my own judgement for that which was proved right as they won the super league the following season.

Your attack on Thomas Courts though... where to start? Been at the club over 10 years including time as a player, cutting his teeth as manager and keeping them in the league in his first season.  They'd spent a lot of cash sorting out drainage and other issues at the ground that year, hence the pressures on the playing side.

After that, if there's a manager with a better record right now in East Region non-league football let us know.

I'll answer that - there isn't :-)

All spot on and well said. Dunc is very clearly...drunk

1 hour ago, Che Dail said:

Easy to say after the event. 

1 hour ago, Che Dail said:

My comments were not an attack on Thomas Courts. He took over and saved them from what looked like certain relegation although the squad he inherited were clearly capable of better but obviously not playing for a manager who thought he was bigger than the club. Kudos to the committee for taking the appropriate action when they did. Since then though it cannot be denied they have bought the Super League title. 

17 minutes ago, leomessi1984 said:

Why not name them?

1 This is an adult debate, I won’t get involved with your childish “my dads bigger than your dad”

2 Would be off topic,  the thread is about Dalkeith not Kelty who according to my best mates neighbour are no longer enjoying junior football.

10 minutes ago, Dunc the drunk said:

1 This is an adult debate, I won’t get involved with your childish “my dads bigger than your dad”

2 Would be off topic,  the thread is about Dalkeith not Kelty who according to my best mates neighbour are no longer enjoying junior football.

1) Your best mates neighbour is well informed.

2) An adult debate is most certainly one that contains facts, figures and standing by your opinion when you actually state it. Not hiding behind contrite snipes.

3) Pretty sure it was you who first brought Kelty into the debate with your criticism of their spending :whistle

4) Debate clearly over....

No, you think about it.
Using the English pyramid as a model, it would be correct to say that Burton Albion have climbed up to Championship level from non-league.  Whilst unlikely, at the moment, they could at one point end up in the Premiership & qualify for Europe.
If you don't want to embrace new ideas keep your head firmly buried in the sand. 
It has been explained before that a period of natural settlement would take place in a pyramid.  Until then, any club would have to admit they were lower not parallel.
In simple parlance, it's called working your way up.
Wigan athletic got promoted to the football league in 1978, ended up in the premiership and won the fa cup in 2013 qualifying for Europe

Archived