Dalkeith, next Junior giant to take the plunge.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/15/2018 at 12:02, Jason King said:

Well run clubs that manage to be in the top half of the SPFL despite being part time, who live within their means and who have grounds that can host the Old Firm.

Yes indeed, aspiring to emulate them is daft :rolleyes: Honestly, some clubs and fans seem more focussed on winning the Evening Times Cup than having the opportunity to progress as a club. Clubs are leaving, the end is coming for the Junior grade.

Evolve or die.

I watch my local team for £6, an amount of money I never thinks about, my daughter gets in free, they open the gates at half time and you can wander round the social club or the newsagents. I've been known to go home for a hat or, perchance, a poo. There's no segregation and you can mingle like civilised human beings. I'm allowed to bring in bottles or cans of juice, saving myself a few quid more.

Or we could "aspire" to be Dumbarton, I could pay £20 (which would make me choosey about games), it's another £8 to bring my daughter, and a couple of quid on top of that for bigger games. The food is expensive and shite. My bag got searched on the way in, and I'd have been ejected for daring to have a Diet Coke with me. Try to stand up and the hi-viz wombles will be over smartish to tell me to sit. Last time I was at... whatever stupid name they're giving that stadium now, I attempted to stand for a minute in the mouth of the exit until the final whistle and was briskly told to leave or return to my seat, this despite there being no-one else near me. Away fans are sent to the far end and placed behind stewards, lest ordinary people be unable to cope with watching a game of football in proximity to fans of the other team.

Below full-time level football in Scotland is pretty much all the same in terms of entertainment.

The idea that higher up the league is automatically better is absolutely facile. If I wanted my Saturdays to be like that I would have kept going to Celtic or Queen's Park games. Or maybe we should all just be TV Man City and Barca fans?

Fans of non-league teams are generally in it for a categorically different experience to those following teams like Alloa and Dumbarton. Football isn't industry, it isn't work, it's supposed to be a fun thing to do at the weekend and something to distract ourselves from the daily grind of life.

Each to their own, and I presume Dumbarton fans like the way things are, but if Linlithgow Rose ever became Dumbarton I'd go to Linlithgow Rugby matches instead.

And as for "evolve or die"... don't make me laugh! Airdrie are Clydebank, Rangers are Sevco, Motherwell and Dundee have been in administration twice, Clyde lost their stadium and are miserable at Broadwood, Gretna played European football then went bust, Hibs have been saved a couple of times by a guy who doesn't even like football, Hearts whored themselves to an obvious charlatan, Dundee were run by a guy who was mates with an actual war criminal, half the clubs in the leagues have circled the drain in the last decade and many have been bailed out by fans who gave money without, in most cases, gaining any influence.

Yeah, if only Linlithgow Rose could have a piece of that.

On 1/16/2018 at 13:28, Goalie Hamish said:

BSC have set the ball rolling and apparently have received responses about forming a West of Scotland League. 

I would have thought a team from Alloa would have been more interested in an East of Scotland league.

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

OK, so you've spouted off a cliche about EoS without anything to back it up. No probs.

What's next? My dad's bigger than your dad?

As long as they're not playing each other every week, who's of a higher standard  will ALWAYS be a matter of opinion, not fact. Personally, I'd watch a juniors game over anything else every time, but each to their own, I can safely say I have never heard fans at the juniors talking about senior non league football, presumably as they like what they see and are more interested in the football they are watching than petty squabbles. 

6 hours ago, pie n beans said:

...most teams are followed by 1 man and his dog.

One of the many little things that make me love non-league football is the dogs! For my daughter, at least 50% of the day is the dogs and the pies.

I have had many a happy afternoon with Pollok's superfan, Yardley sniffing in my coat pocket for any stray treats left behind by my own canine companion, Trudie. ( Sadly, London to Scotland and back for the football is a bit much for Trudie. so she has to stay behind.)

11 minutes ago, GordonS said:

One of the many little things that make me love non-league football is the dogs! For my daughter, at least 50% of the day is the dogs and the pies.

11 hours ago, Combester said:

What makes you say that?

Too much whiskey me thinks...

Both my next door neighbor and my brother in law told me some time ago, best mate mentioned it in a conversation recently too so thought it was common knowledge. Like I say only my opinion based on what I’ve heard but due to the smart Alec comments I’ve now bookmarked it.

Both my next door neighbor and my brother in law told me some time ago, best mate mentioned it in a conversation recently too so thought it was common knowledge. Like I say only my opinion based on what I’ve heard but due to the smart Alec comments I’ve now bookmarked it.

Well all I can say is that your neighbour, your bother-in-law and your best mate are feeding you a lot of bullshit.

Of course you’re entitled to your opinion on whether it’s right move or not but I don’t think you’ve any right to make inaccurate statements about a club’s finances when you’re not privy to any of the facts.

11 hours ago, jaggywaggy said:

And you know this how?

If we were in a bad way financially (we aren't) - explain why would we better off staying in the Juniors?

I’ve given an explanation for my opinion, if you’re claiming I’ve got it all wrong feel free to put me right as even if as you say “we aren’t “ I fail to see any benefit in leaving.

On 16/01/2018 at 13:28, Goalie Hamish said:

From what I can see nobody is talking much about the North clubs and as for the West they have it within their power to go and do something about it and get themselves a league to go to. BSC have set the ball rolling and apparently have received responses about forming a West of Scotland League.  There’s nae point harping on and on about it and slagging other clubs, if you really want to be involved go and do something about it. I’m sure Clydebank and BSC will help you and I'm sure the SFA will be all ears.

Quite a bit of chatter on Rangers forums in the last couple of days that the West of Scotland league has been agreed for next season with Rangers and Celtic colts involved.

35 minutes ago, kleptomaniac said:

Yeah but you’ve not explained why would Dalkeith be better off in the Juniors.

What’s the point in me repeating the benefits of junior Football  that many others before me have already stated. Dalkeith are no giants, they were hammered in a play off a few seasons back by a poor Kelty team . All this nonsense because  Kelty in turn  buy there way to a couple of Super League titles, Tam Courts gets hailed the new Bill Shankly and are too big for the juniors. Third Lanark anyone?

2 hours ago, edinabear said:

Quite a bit of chatter on Rangers forums in the last couple of days that the West of Scotland league has been agreed for next season with Rangers and Celtic colts involved.

Is this the whisky talking from Pyramid devotees, or "chatter" led by the Old Firm  to promote their player development through to elevation to the SPFL ?   Can't see Rangers & Celtic settling for a tier 6 league below the Lowland.

Even if the "chatter" has any credibility, we are already in the second half of January, and interested Junior Clubs would need more time to  have committee meetings, consult with fans, consider the impact on players, etc. Also, are the SJFC aware of this ?

Not enough time for next season, and the absence of leaks from any West junior clubs  clubs, suggests this is fake news. (Don't let Donald Trump know). 

8 hours ago, Dunc the drunk said:

Proof, indeed!

5 minutes ago, Shanner said:

Indeed, a stark reevaluation of his life and relationships could be in order. Testing times ahead. 

Who to trust? A new 6ft fence along the garden boundary is this week's DIY mission. The Brother in law won't be helping.

6 hours ago, Robert James said:

...Even if the "chatter" has any credibility, we are already in the second half of January, and interested Junior Clubs would need more time to  have committee meetings, consult with fans, consider the impact on players, etc. Also, are the SJFC aware of this ?...

About the same amount of time as they had for the Lowland League when that was pushed through as a fait accompli by the EoS premier.

Archived