Dalkeith, next Junior giant to take the plunge.

34 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Saw Annan earlier on this season in some diddy cup playing a youth team.

£12 for a glorified reserve game, aye right.

You chose to go from Glasgow to Annan to watch Celtic U20s? A fool and his money etc... Edited to add: their lowest gate of the season so they'll have been grateful for your attendance! :thumsup2

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, cmontheloknow said:

You chose to go from Glasgow to Annan to watch Celtic U20s? A fool and his money etc...

Tbf i was asked for a lift and thought why not, chance to see Annan and the set up down there. Btw, certain folks at Annan hate the Juniors with a passion. Something about seeing your books???

4 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Tbf i was asked for a lift and thought why not, chance to see Annan and the set up down there. Btw, certain folks at Annan hate the Juniors with a passion. Something about seeing your books???

They spent so long in the parallel system it's bound to have had an effect on some, but I was down there twice with Lok for pre-season games in the Harry Cairney era and the gist we got was welcoming.

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

People should stop saying Juniors is a lower grade of tier than LL, EoSL or SoSL. It's not in the senior set-up, so it's not above or below. It's parallel.

Gordon, it's definitely not parallel. If it were parallel, licenced junior teams like ourselves would come in to the Scottish Cup at the same stage as Rothes. We don't because we're operating in an environment which is officially seen as inferior to the pyramid leagues. You can argue (and evidence) that playing standards at the top end are of St least comparable quality but that's all.  As long as junior football stands apart, it is a lower level. 

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

People should stop saying Juniors is a lower grade of tier than LL, EoSL or SoSL. It's not in the senior set-up, so it's not above or below. It's parallel.

Parallel?  No.

An unlikely scenario, I grant you but at present, a team in the EoSL could get into the SPFL, then climb the ladder and ultimately qualify for European competition.

Now, remind me what the ceiling is for junior teams?

5 hours ago, Unknown Fan said:

That would be incorrect though teams like you own Linlithgow, Talbot or Pollok, could end up being as successful as the likes of Alloa, Brechin or Dumbarton if they joined the pyramid at the 6th Tier.  

Any Junior or Amateur league team equally stands at an unofficial tier 7 at the moment.

Alloa, Brechin & Dumbarton are the benchmark of what my club should aspire to emulate?

Somehow that isn't particularly appealing

1 minute ago, archieb said:

Alloa, Brechin & Dumbarton are the benchmark of what my club should aspire to emulate?

They are or have been over the last 5 years as the best part time clubs mostly competing against full time teams.  

Unless Pollok or similar go full time once they get to the 2nd or 3rd tier then yes.

It took Ross County several years to get out of the 4th Division, look at them now, so then anything is possible.

Well run clubs that manage to be in the top half of the SPFL despite being part time, who live within their means and who have grounds that can host the Old Firm.

Yes indeed, aspiring to emulate them is daft :rolleyes: Honestly, some clubs and fans seem more focussed on winning the Evening Times Cup than having the opportunity to progress as a club. Clubs are leaving, the end is coming for the Junior grade.

Evolve or die.

3 minutes ago, archieb said:

Really? You wouldn't want to have the facilities they've got? You wouldn't want the experience Alloa supporters had when the came back from 2 0 down to beat The Rangers. You wouldn't want fixture lists or floodlights. You'd rather still visit venues where the pish floods back out over your feet when you go to the toilet? I've been to a ground where I chose to pish against the outside wall of the toilet because the inside of this open ait facility was like something from Trainspotting. I'm not sure what you find appealing to be honest. The odd local derby, a woefully organised cup competition and a glass ceiling aren't top of my list of ambitions for Linlithgow. 

43 minutes ago, archieb said:

cmon Archie - these are great part-time clubs who show how far it is possible for 'small' clubs to go. I'd far rather Lok were playing the quality of sides Dumbarton and Brechin are this season. Onfield, a club's strength is judged by its opponents. 

On 1/13/2018 at 18:38, kenny131 said:

What you slobbering about fat man,  I was replying to your horseshit post. Suck it up as it's happening whether you like it or not all the top teams in the west will be sucked into the pyramid when it happens you will go from top of the juniors to bottom feeder like the rest of us.

So your saying the Tebbit's are bottom feeders?

cmon Archie - these are great part-time clubs who show how far it is possible for 'small' clubs to go. I'd far rather Lok were playing the quality of sides Dumbarton and Brechin are this season. Onfield, a club's strength is judged by its opponents. 
Exactly and somehow I don't think the good people of Dumbarton and brechin would find the juniors very appealing , mind you maybe a lack of fixtures , wading through piss to do the toilet , lack of floodlights , their largest domestic cup not having a sponsor and a season / rat race to the end crammed in to accommodate the evening times cup could be there thing [emoji2]

Il tell you what Pie and Bovril may not be the official voice but there’s some real common sense being posted on here for moving forward from people associated from a range of different clubs around the country. 

Last week Glesgaboy (the SJFA voice) says he would put something of interest and debate up last weekend?

If Boness apply to the EOS for this season or and a raft of West clubs speak to the EOS/SOS League about a WOS League then the non league game will change forever and for the better. The feedback (unofficial I may add and might be duff info) is both EOS and SOS League would be open to facilitate a WOS Division running parallel. Clubs need to get to work and work out if it’s for them or not and if it is get chatting on a way forward.

On 13/01/2018 at 23:54, Killiepiyo said:

fixtures, chance of league two playoffs, in the big Scottish every year, top 6 get into the betfred, grants, (floodlights :o) etc... with a decent ground that has a large already established fan base that draws from surrounding areas... I’d suggest in my completely, non reflective of anyone else, opinion.. that Talbot and others would be quite successful within a pyramid set up :shutup

you would probablygo back and support Hurlford

11 hours ago, happy said:

Interesting to hear that Edinburgh City allow Hearts and Hibs fans into their games for half the admission fee when their clubs are playing away from home.Yip £6.

Aye I just listed the adult prices lots of incentives offered by clubs I think City also have the same arrangement with Berwick when they play each other and Spartans re the season tickets.

Others have free entry for kids etc didn't have time to look at them all:lol:

No disrespect meant to Alloa, Brechin, Dumbarton or any other club by my previous post, I just wouldn't want Pollok to swap places with them.

Smaller league with a reduced range of opponents, some away fixtures (especially midweek ones) to places too far to realistically travel to,  no serious chance of winning most or all of the competitions taken part in ... no thanks.

What I WOULD like to see is a level playing field for ALL clubs, that is:

Whether it's a pyramid, a cube, a cylinder or a cone, a single interconnected system of leagues that all football clubs play in at whatever level is appropriate to their circumstances and their level of success.

Equal access to central financial support to assist in improving facilities.

National knockout competitions equivalent to the English FA Cup, FA Trophy and FA Vase that are open to all clubs that meet agreed criteria.

An administration that promotes and sells the game at all levels, that listens to the clubs, facilitates dialogue between them and operates in their interests.

Archived