Jump to content
glensmad

The names of the new West Region leagues

Recommended Posts

Just call them John, Paul, Ringo and George and stop all the fannying about.

John, Paul, George and Ringo! Looking forward to 3pts tomorrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In this cosmopolitan country of ours and when the debacle of the pirimid is fixed I quite like the sound of "serie F " ☺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sweep said:

This restructuring will result in the demise of a few junior clubs . Just saying

I honestly don't think that'll be the case. A relatively remote club like Muirkirk for example will in some cases actually be closer to some of the new sides they'll be playing than the ones they've historically faced in the Ayrshire setup.

One trip a year to somewhere like Alexandria surely won't put anyone over the edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This restructuring will result in the demise of a few junior clubs . Just saying

Would promotion into the current Super 1st put Lugar out the game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see both sides on this one. Yeah it will be easy to understand for majority of people as that's what they are used to. But I've got to agree with Peter in the way it annoys me that the SPFL just copied The English leagues with no consideration for why they called the second tier Championship. I believe down south this division plays for the old First Division trophy and is named accordingly as it's the top league of the EFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Terry Tibbs said:


Would promotion into the current Super 1st put Lugar out the game?

Wishful thinking.      How far is it to Denny, vale of Leven , Greenock,or Port glasgow for the likes of Craigmark?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sweep said:

Wishful thinking.      How far is it to Denny, vale of Leven , Greenock,or Port glasgow for the likes of Craigmark?

As things stand Craigmark are unlikely to be playing the first two sides you've mentioned for starters - if they keep going the way they're going at the moment they'll either be playing off for a place in the second tier or at worst they'll be in the third tier next season.

Dalmellington is already one of the most isolated places that hosts a Junior team and I'm guessing must already factor travel into their budget- nowhere's really near it, and I think their closest rivals are Maybole which is maybe 15 miles away...most away games they'll already have a 50-70 mile round trip.

What about the example of Muirkirk I mentioned earlier...they're closer to the likes of Lesmahagow, Lanark, Newmains and so on than they are from all the teams down the Ayrshire coast?

Hopefully the reorganisation might shake things up a bit and create a bit of interest and a shot in the arm for fans - the bottom tiers in both Central and Ayrshire can be a bit stale - a lot of the sides in both have been there for a fair while and fans must be sick of playing more or less the same teams year after year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

As things stand Craigmark are unlikely to be playing the first two sides you've mentioned for starters - if they keep going the way they're going at the moment they'll either be playing off for a place in the second tier or at worst they'll be in the third tier next season.

Dalmellington is already one of the most isolated places that hosts a Junior team and I'm guessing must already factor travel into their budget- nowhere's really near it, and I think their closest rivals are Maybole which is maybe 15 miles away...most away games they'll already have a 50-70 mile round trip.

What about the example of Muirkirk I mentioned earlier...they're closer to the likes of Lesmahagow, Lanark, Newmains and so on than they are from all the teams down the Ayrshire coast?

Hopefully the reorganisation might shake things up a bit and create a bit of interest and a shot in the arm for fans - the bottom tiers in both Central and Ayrshire can be a bit stale - a lot of the sides in both have been there for a fair while and fans must be sick of playing more or less the same teams year after year.

Fair comment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2018 at 11:22, archieb said:

Sorry if I've ruffled a few feathers, I was only trying to be realistic and emphasise the futility of expecting  any possibility of alteration to this nomenclature.

I'll expand.

Garrelburn is 100% wrong and Glensmad is correct regarding where these names appeared from.

The eventual AGM reconstruction motion was developed out of proposals put forward by 3 different clubs and it initially retained the existing names for the top two tiers (Premier Division, Division 1) and called the next two tiers Division 2 and Division 3.

The idea to change it to Premiership/Championship/League1/League2  DID come from a senior member of the Management Committee (who was involved in the discussions which produced the final AGM motion) and it WAS explicitly included in the wording of the motion, so it SHOULD be part of the West Region Constitution and Rules.

Inexplicably, the version of the rules available to download from the SJFA web pages has NOT been changed in accordance with the motion voted for (something I WOULD  expect to be questioned at this month's GM).

As the post-reconstruction league names came from among the blazers, it's pretty unlikely they would seek any change and, as none of the clubs expressed through their delegates any dissatisfaction with the names, surely a move for change from that direction is unlikely too.

Personally, I'm not a fan of anything other than Divs 1,2.3,4 but I can see some advantages to the Prem, Champ, L1, L2 pattern adopted:

1 It mirrors the names used in the SPFL and EFL so has familiarity with the public.

 

I think most of us are familiar with 1, 2, 3...what was the last one again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calling the third tier "one" is just daft. It's daft in the EPL and it's daft in the SPFL.  Even calling tier 2 division 1 is confusing.

Either go with 1,2,3,4 or give every division a name. Don't name some divisions and number others!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2018 at 11:22, archieb said:

Sorry if I've ruffled a few feathers, I was only trying to be realistic and emphasise the futility of expecting  any possibility of alteration to this nomenclature.

I'll expand.

Garrelburn is 100% wrong and Glensmad is correct regarding where these names appeared from.

 

What I did mean was that the NAMES of the new leagues was not voted on; My club was in favour of the reconstruction and I voted accordingly. The names were not an issue then and still are not as far as we are concerned. Its which one we end up playing in that is important and if we don't like it we'll F*** OFF to the EOSL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...and given you are from Stirlingshire on the real set of county boundaries, that last bit would be easy to justify.

Interestingly back in the days when the Scottish Junior club  early rounds were played on a regional basis, as a member of the Stirlingshire junior association we  did play clubs from the Fife and the Lothian leagues in the first couple of rounds.  The Stirlingshire association ended in 1962, as a number of clubs had folded, including Alva Albion Rangers, and the two Grangemouth clubs had amalgamated. We played in the Dunbartonshire cup for a couple of years thereafter. I presume Camelon and Bonnybridge  would have joined a Lothian  association at that time.   Grangemouth United also disappeared shortly afterwards. If the rumours of Clydebank applying for membership of EOSL are correct then why not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s wrong with divisions 1,2,3 and 4?

simple clear and no hidden meaning

another example of trumped up officials trying to make a name for themselves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dreghorn said:

What’s wrong with divisions 1,2,3 and 4?

simple clear and no hidden meaning

another example of trumped up officials trying to make a name for themselves

T'is the way of the world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×