Second EU referendum

Richey Edwards

Remain or Leave?  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Remain would win by a bigger margin than Leave did last time around.

Absolutely. Anyone who is not a rabid and blinkered Little Englander can see how much of a mistake voting Leave was.

Remain would get at least 60% of the vote IMO.

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

Absolutely. Anyone who is not a rabid and blinkered Little Englander can see how much of a mistake voting Leave was.

Remain would get at least 60% of the vote IMO.

Sorry to disillusion you but it wouldn't be anywhere near 60%.  54-46 would be my guess.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Sorry to disillusion you but it wouldn't be anywhere near 60%.  54-46 would be my guess.

Yeah, I probably overestimated the sensibility of the general population.

I thought Remain were going to skoosh the first referendum so what do I know. :lol:

The campaign would be much more racist than it was last time and I’m not convinced at all that Remain would win since the hardcore Remainers are determined to learn even less from their losses than Clinton Democrats. Another referendum would set the choice straight between remaining in the EU or having the hardest of Brexits at a time when movement is starting to move for a softer Brexit. I have no idea where people have this faith that Andrew Adonis, Nick Clegg and Ken Clarke would win a referendum.

16 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I thought Remain were going to skoosh the first referendum so what do I know. :lol:

Me too. Still find it difficult to believe. I can only think that remainers were over confident and lots didn't bother to vote. 

The  fact that Farage is mouthing off about it makes me suspicious, though.  What is his angle? Banks too. They are only out for themselves.

Just imagine having voted to leave the EU on the 23rd of June, and having seen the absolute catastrofucking omnishambles that this process has produced over the last 18 months, that the UK still voted to leave if given a second opportunity. I honestly think the UK would be the biggest laughing stock on the entire planet if that happened, bigger even than Trump, who is a certified buffoon.

I'd vote remain again.

What's the rationale for the UK voting Remain this time beyond Leaving going shite?  Think people are severely underestimating the British public's dogged refusal to admit it was a mistake and that's amplified by the Remain camp learning zilch from 2016.

The 2016 vote was 17.4 million for Leave and 16.8 million for Remain.

To get a different result does not require 17.4 million to say "Sorry, we were wrong."
It is actually closer to 300,000.

It is tempting to think that everybody who voted Leave is passionately against the EU.
Some might even be tempted to think they are raging xenophobes seeking a return to the days of Empire.

Maybe that is true for some of them.
However, some made their decision in the voting booth and decided on balance that it was better to leave.
Some were convinced there was nothing to lose and everything to be gained.
Some even believed what they saw on the side of a bus.

I voted remain not because I am in love with the EU.  I simply saw it as the way the world is.
The EU is far from perfect but I am yet to hear a clear vision of what is on offer instead.

At the time of the referendum, the Leave campaign seemed to suggest there was no downside.
As it becomes obvious that there might be a downside, I suspect some people might change their minds.

12 hours ago, NotThePars said:

The campaign would be much more racist than it was last time and I’m not convinced at all that Remain would win since the hardcore Remainers are determined to learn even less from their losses than Clinton Democrats. Another referendum would set the choice straight between remaining in the EU or having the hardest of Brexits at a time when movement is starting to move for a softer Brexit. I have no idea where people have this faith that Andrew Adonis, Nick Clegg and Ken Clarke would win a referendum.

100% this. I've got no doubts that remain  would lose again. The only people that can stop it are the Tories making a complete arse of the negotiations to the extent any deal isn't an option (no deal won't happen). .

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

The 2016 vote was 17.4 million for Leave and 16.8 million for Remain.

To get a different result does not require 17.4 million to say "Sorry, we were wrong."
It is actually closer to 300,000.

It is tempting to think that everybody who voted Leave is passionately against the EU.
Some might even be tempted to think they are raging xenophobes seeking a return to the days of Empire.

Maybe that is true for some of them.
However, some made their decision in the voting booth and decided on balance that it was better to leave.
Some were convinced there was nothing to lose and everything to be gained.
Some even believed what they saw on the side of a bus.

I voted remain not because I am in love with the EU.  I simply saw it as the way the world is.
The EU is far from perfect but I am yet to hear a clear vision of what is on offer instead.

At the time of the referendum, the Leave campaign seemed to suggest there was no downside.
As it becomes obvious that there might be a downside, I suspect some people might change their minds.

Over 450,000 people die in the UK each year.

In the 2017 GE there was an increase in the number of young people voting.

These are two factors that need to be taken into account in crunching the numbers.

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Over 450,000 people die in the UK each year.

In the 2017 GE there was an increase in the number of young people voting.

These are two factors that need to be taken into account in crunching the numbers.

If we are to believe these new thing voters are prominent remain campaigner Corbyn fans then f**k knows what side of the line they would vote 

15 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

If we are to believe these new thing voters are prominent remain campaigner Corbyn fans then f**k knows what side of the line they would vote 

Overwhelming majority of Labour Party members support second referendum.  Can’t see them doing so if the support Corbyn’s position on EU.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.politico.eu/article/poll-labour-members-reject-jeremy-corbyn-on-second-brexit-vote/amp/

The polls are fascinating:

A large majority of people don't think that the government will get a good deal for the UK.

A smaller majority would vote for remain (although often within the margin of error).

A big majority don't believe that we should have second vote to rethink the whole thing.

The polls are fascinating:
A large majority of people don't think that the government will get a good deal for the UK.
A smaller majority would vote for remain (although often within the margin of error).
A big majority don't believe that we should have second vote to rethink the whole thing.
.UK public are a bit thick?

Archived