Capital Punishment

Capital Punishment  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Lawful killing is killing. Unlawful killing is killing. Hope that's clear. That's not a moral or legal opinion, it's just the way language works.

It's crystal clear.  albeit wrong.  Qualifiers are there for a reason - to change the meaning.  It's basic level English.

GD is right though - this topic is murder! I'm out

4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's crystal clear.  albeit wrong.  Qualifiers are there for a reason - to change the meaning.  It's basic level English.

GD is right though - this topic is murder! I'm out

A black sheep is a sheep, a white sheep is a sheep. A black sheep is not a white sheep, although there may be grey sheep. Here endeth the lesson.

Edited by welshbairn

Best thing about this thread has been the constant references to The Running Man  :thumsup2

Who would P&B nominate for the inaugural season, and how long would they last?

On 11/01/2018 at 15:23, Richey Edwards said:

No.

The whole point of the prison system is no longer simply the removal of offenders from mainstream society. The emphasis is now on the rehabilitation of offenders with a humanistic approach which recognises that human beings have the capacity to see the error of their ways and be reformed.

How can offenders be rehabilitated if they are dead? 

People have also been tried and executed in the past and later found to have been innocent all along. Why reintroduce such a flawed system of punishment when the potential consequences of "getting it wrong" are catastrophic and cannot be undone?

People who want the death penalty re-instated are invariably dribbling morons and Ones For The Watching.

Haven’t read the whole thread so not sure if this has been brought up. Say someone murdered your parent/wife/partner/child, would you be happy for them to be rehabilitated and maybe have the chance to live a proper life again, something that the person you love can’t do because of this person? I’m not sure I could live with that.

3 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

Haven’t read the whole thread so not sure if this has been brought up. Say someone murdered your parent/wife/partner/child, would you be happy for them to be rehabilitated and maybe have the chance to live a proper life again, something that the person you love can’t do because of this person? I’m not sure I could live with that.

So you'd be happy for someone to be given the chance for rehabilitation if it didn't involve your own family?

Completely against the death penalty, but for crimes of heinous and deliberate cruelty (that attract a life sentence on conviction) I would make incarceration as miserable as possible, with meagre comfort, provisions and ‘privileges’.
If an offender was determined to repent and pay their penance they would see it through. We can then (and only then) talk about the possibilities of rehabilitation.

26 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

I like to think that I would but at the same time I wouldn't want to live in a society where revenge was what motivated seeking justice.