Capital Punishment

Capital Punishment  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s Scottish.  I think it’s referred to as the b*****d Verdict.

I only did jury duty once and a bunch of c***s let a drug dealer go under this verdict.

It is the verdict that has also been known as "we all know you did it, we just can't prove it"

6 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

It is the verdict that has also been known as "we all know you did it, we just can't prove it"

The issue of proof lies with the prosecution.  The jury can decide what they want.

2 hours ago, killiefan27 said:

Then that's awful, clearly.

but surely you see the difference between someone dying in prison, and the state actively killing them?

My somewhat back-of-a-fag packet take on it, with absolutely no legal experience, would be something like:

a) Convicted of crime -> Given death sentence -> X number of years unsuccessfully appealing against sentence -> Executed -> New evidence or a confession comes to light/tech advances cause doubt over the initial conviction -> case re-examined -> found to be not guilty of crime

Or

b) Convicted of crime -> Given lengthy jail term -> X number of years in jail, unsuccessfully appealing against sentence -> New evidence or a confession comes to light/tech advances cause doubt over the initial conviction -> case re-examined -> found to be not guilty of crime.

Now in the above; if the new evidence comes before execution in a), then the case can still be re-examined, but if you've already been executed you're fucked.

You may not be pardoned after the case is re-examined and you may well be found to still be guilty, but the problem is that you're completely goosed in the event that there's something new which raises any doubt over your initial conviction, not necessarily even that it proves you're innocent. If you're found innocent you can't be given any sort of restitution.

You may well die in prison in b) before you're found not guilty, but there's no risk of the state actively killing you as part of your sentence, and you can be directly recompensed should you be found not guilty not only by being given your freedom again but financially as well. In a) if it's too late the best you can hope for is compensation to your estate. If you die while in jail in b) and are found innocent later on then, again, your estate can be given compensation.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Just to bring the US into things again, as it's proved so popular up to this point, do we charge folk for accomodation in prison once they've been found innocent of their original conviction? In America, the cost of detaining someone for the term of their sentence is deducted from any settlement they're given, and it can take off a substantial portion of any money they receive. Just curious if that's something we do as well.

6 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Just to bring the US into things again, as it's proved so popular up to this point, do we charge folk for accomodation in prison once they've been found innocent of their original conviction? In America, the cost of detaining someone for the term of their sentence is deducted from any settlement they're given, and it can take off a substantial portion of any money they receive. Just curious if that's something we do as well.

What?

We  should randomly select 5% of criminals convicted of any crime each year and publicly execute them.  That would be a real deterrent.

This is the sort of blue sky thinking that will get you elected as a Tory MP.

To pay for the rest of their incarcerations could we televise the executions? I’ve always thought a TV show like The Running Man would be a good early Saturday Night family programmer. Much better than that wedding shite with Lorraine Kelly and pissed all over that Ninja Warriors. Buzz Saw!!!

I think having your eyelids clamped open like in Clockwork Orange and being forced to watch episode after episode of Eastenders is a far more tortous and depraved way of dealing with murderers and the rest of the naughty ones.

Edited by Flybhoy

21 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I remember capital punishment being enacted, although I wasn't very old when it was abolished, it was only later I read up about what happened regarding the debate - as far as I can recall there were a couple of high profile cases where there was a bit of a public outcry about the death penalty being enacted.

But I seem to recall that if the death penalty was abolished, the sentence for murder would be life, life meaning life , not 10 - 15 years (or less), which seems to be the norm now.

The last hanging in Scotland was at Craiginches in Aberdeen in 1963. I'd have been 9 at the time. I don't remember any chat from my parents, or any other adults, about it. There was no talk of it at school, as far as I can remember. We got the P&J and the Evening Express every day, I recall no headlines. Similarly I don't remember anything on the TV.

Executions were comparatively rare, I'd have thought something might have stuck in my memory.

On 12/01/2018 at 11:35, hk blues said:

I thought you were leaving me to it?

Anyhow, Capital Punishment is defined as lawful killing , to define as killing is hardly accurate.

They're not so pernickety where you live.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 03:05, hk blues said:

Kinda hard to avoid repeating something in order to put someone right on their mistake.

Don't put words in my mouth - that's not what I said.  Killing is never right, then again Capital Punishment isn't killing

Do they go and live on a farm with all the other condemned men & women?

They're not so pernickety where you live.

It's a fair point. But they don't have the death penalty here in the Philippines so the EJKs that go on don't really contribute to the debate we're having here. In fact, if they did it might actually have offered those being murdered a chance of a fair trial.