Australian Open 2018

k-ton

Tennis continues to be weird.  

But, despite numerous big name withdrawls, I'm still looking forward to this.

Nadal looks to have knocked it off with a cracking draw whilst Djokovic will be having a wee cry. Shame.

In the Women's, I would not be surprised if Sharapova completes her comeback from drugs cheat shame to win. Hope not though.

Thoughts?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cameron Norrie and Katie Boulter lost in qualification yesterday (or today).   Naomi Broady is through to the next round.  Sadly the highlander Isabelle Wallace lost in qualification too.  She now represents Australia.

For Novak being the 14th seed he got a cracking draw (13th-16th will always meet 1st-4th in the Fourth round).  Zverev in the last 16 when it could have been Federer or Nadal.  Even then Zverev will have to match his best ever display at a Slam to meet Novak.  He could meet his brother Mischa in the 3rd Round, who famously beat  Murray last year.  Dimitrov has a very nice open quarter with only Kyrgios to look out for.   Dimitrov has played some of his best tennis in Australia and his confidence will be sky high.  Novak and Wawrinka still have injury doubts.  So not sure just how good they will be.

Sharapova will not make the quarter finals.  She is due to meet Sevastova in the second round (who beat her at the US Open last year),  Kerber in the Third ,then Muguruza in the fourth.     It will be interesting to see if Wozniacki or Halep can go deep after both have picked up their form, and have relatively open draws..  Both have lost multiple slam finals.

16 hours ago, Dysart said:

Still can't believe Stephens won the US Open, must be a lot of better players kicking themselves for missing a great opportunity to win a Slam there. 

She's lost every match since apparently

17 hours ago, Dysart said:

Still can't believe Stephens won the US Open, must be a lot of better players kicking themselves for missing a great opportunity to win a Slam there. 

She didn't look good enough to be in the top 100 against Camilla Giorgi in Sydney, she was doing well to get to 15 on her own serve after her 1st couple of service games.

What's wrong with him? He's gone back to Slovenia cos he wants to play Davis Cup and Olympics. Seems fair enough to me. Not sure if he does anything else?
Why change in the first place, he was after the money and quite happy to ditch his home country. When it was obvious that no one in LTA wanted to invest in him he switched back to his country, citing Davis Cup and Olympics(he would have had a fair idea before switching assuming he did the research). Turned his back on Slovenia to chase money then went back. That's why I'm not a fan.. plus I like Fed

Archived