Dunfermline vs Greenock Morton - Sat 20th Jan

Enjoyed the game today, more than I anticipated. I was expecting Oliver to be booked for playing on - looked offside to me. Heaps of abuse for Robinson and McManus and it was no surprise that Declan scored. Some finish from Jai, especially given all he'd done until then was get caught offside and foul defenders. I didn't see much wrong with the refereeing decisions until we were caught offside and Robinson was allowed to take the free kick 5 yards inside our half - that was just bonkers.

For all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth at the starting line-up, Duffy for once got the formation and the subs spot on (needs to do it more often though). Harkins, Murdoch and Oliver were outstanding and Iredale looked very comfortable. The one time we stood off their forwards rather than getting stuck in, they scored from it. Doyle had a few wobbles but needs competition (WTF was he arguing with O'Ware about and why, for that matter, was Tam shouting at Gaston after their goal?).

On a more personal note, this was the first game my dad and I have attended together in a while and it was just the pick-me-up he needed. A cracking pub lunch in the Elizabethan watching the skunks getting gubbed and a surprising cup win to cap it all.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Noticed this too ! Blatant ignorance by the ref. If it had happened in the first half or early in second half i reckon the ref wouldve acted but with a few seconds left i think he just wanted it over and one with and taken.

Free kicks for offside are supposed to be taken from where the offside player played the ball. As the Morton player was offside, then ran into his own Half to play the ball, the free kick was in his own Half. Maybe learn the rules before calling others ignorant. Very ironic comment to make. I’m sure this rule was in place from the start of last season, but it may have been new for this year, not totally sure.

2 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

For what to occur Dumbo?

19 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Free kicks for offside are supposed to be taken from where the offside player played the ball. As the Morton player was offside, then ran into his own Half to play the ball, the free kick was in his own Half. Maybe learn the rules before calling others ignorant. Very ironic comment to make. I’m sure this rule was in place from the start of last season, but it may have been new for this year, not totally sure.

Thanks to CallumPar who has clarified this.

52 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Totally stand by my post. It's a fucking awful result and the most embarrassing defeat this season. 

Love the Scottish Cup and we've utterly bottled it again. 

More embarassing than taking nothing at Cappielow despite being 2-0 up at HT? 

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Totally stand by my post. It's a fucking awful result and the most embarrassing defeat this season

Love the Scottish Cup and we've utterly bottled it again. 

Hah Brechin await.

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

Maybe so but i'm not convinced in this situation. I'm positive the ball was played over the top across half way and Quitingo "played the ball" at least 5 yards inside the opposition half.

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

I can't  understand the logic in this rule.

You used to never be offside in your own half so coming back to pick up the ball how can you be considered as being off side I can't understand. Note neither coulsd those around me at the game and Dunfermline had a decent opportunity  from the kick.

Maybe so but i'm not convinced in this situation. I'm positive the ball was played over the top across half way and Quitingo "played the ball" at least 5 yards inside the opposition half.
Quitongo was offside, then tracked the defender back into his own half then tackled him in the Morton half. Totally the correct decision. Probably about the only thing he got right mind you, and I include the fact he could have and probably should have sent Lee Robinson off for his petulant kick.

13 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

This time last week Ton supporters were calling for Duffy to go.
Is he now forgiven?

We beat Celtic the season we were relegated 4 years ago. A good cup win does not a season save.

Archived