Friday 12th January D Day

Most of the users will not know this,Friday 12th January The SAFA have their BI Monthly .......nothing unusual about that, however a proposer has been put forward for a 40% increase on the clubs fees STARTING IN APRIL, he is hoping the members attending see sense and vote it down, especially as financial strains on clubs are forcing a lot of them to fold. 

To make matters worse the clubs have no vote on it at the AGM as a rule was passed 2/ 3 years ago to give the executive and council the final say [ very democratic lol ].......I always wonder why the treasurer can't be happy with  £300,000 + in the bank, yes they made a small loss last year, but hey ho the first in years.

So lets hope the League delegates support the clubs, I know 2 Leagues against it and 2 for it. no doubt phone calls will be made to make sure some life members and delegates attend to support the motion. 

40% ?? How can they possibly justify that . Don't get me wrong I do not think it will cause any team to fold but how can they justify ??? What would that put fees up by? Around £40? Not even £1 a week extra needed to bring in! Cmon no team folds over that. Still £40 from Maybe 1000 teams ???? What do they need that for

Guest Mick Kennedy

I don’t know the ins and out of the safa finances, but I’m sure they wouldn’t put the fees up for the sake of it and the increase would be based on a business case for the running of the association. 

6 hours ago, Amateur Footie Fan said:

Who are the two leagues for and against Auld Yin?

I believe one delegate of The Caledonian League is for it and off course the Treasurers own League

SAFL and P&D against now hear GGPL against as well so some hope for a victory for the clubs

5 hours ago, Mick Kennedy said:

Is it £300,000 now it was £200, 000 last season 

Mick the last report I saw was £330.000, and no they would not be putting them up for the sake of it, they spent more last season then they took in, thus the panic and partial agree with eyeswideopen15 no club will fold because of it but when you take in the whole expense over the season it will create problems for clubs.

Take Micks and Cbrown4 League in the next 4 months,

February £150 to £200 to find for Speakers night zzzz,

Then March part Leagues fees.

April The SAFA increased affiliation  fees [ depends on vote ]

May  another £150 to  £200 for the back slapping dinner

June  Scottish / West Cup fees  and you can include fines, insurance etc

Its just more and more difficult for clubs,

Another reason of the increase is 3 wages to pay [ though one is retiring soon ] so some saving there

1 hour ago, Mick Kennedy said:

I don’t know the ins and out of the safa finances, but I’m sure they wouldn’t put the fees up for the sake of it and the increase would be based on a business case for the running of the association. 

The problem is they refuse to present a business case to league associations or the leagues representatives.

Have they looked at any other potential ways to either raise funds or reduce costs. It seems they have taken the easy way out and decided to just charge clubs more. The reason they are losing money is because the number of clubs is reducing each year. This is an issue they also like to have meetings about meetings and never actually put a plan in place to help clubs.

There has been no proper business case put forward about how much money they need to raise to ensure they have the funds required to stop making a loss.  There must be other avenues to go down like scrapping the international team, cutting back on meals and hospitality for cup finals, they could raise funds through the clubs in a more fair way by imposing small fines of £2/£3 for yellow cards in national/regional competitions even just the first few rounds. Have they got someone sourcing more sponsorship and advertising via social media and the website.

There has to be even more ways to raise funds or cut costs than burdening every single club at amateur level.  I think a smaller increase would of been more receptive from clubs but such a large increase is quite frankly taking the piss.

1 hour ago, AmateurCoach said:

Have they looked at any other potential ways to either raise funds or reduce costs. It seems they have taken the easy way out and decided to just charge clubs more. The reason they are losing money is because the number of clubs is reducing each year. This is an issue they also like to have meetings about meetings and never actually put a plan in place to help clubs.

There has been no proper business case put forward about how much money they need to raise to ensure they have the funds required to stop making a loss.  There must be other avenues to go down like scrapping the international team, cutting back on meals and hospitality for cup finals, they could raise funds through the clubs in a more fair way by imposing small fines of £2/£3 for yellow cards in national/regional competitions even just the first few rounds. Have they got someone sourcing more sponsorship and advertising via social media and the website.

There has to be even more ways to raise funds or cut costs than burdening every single club at amateur level.  I think a smaller increase would of been more receptive from clubs but such a large increase is quite frankly taking the piss.

Amateur Coach, maybe I have not covered the whole proposal so in the interest of fair discussion the proposal is

1. 40% Increase in clubs affiliation fees from April 1st

2. A limit of £18,0000 on the spend of the International Team

3. Hospitality cut back for all National / District Cup Finals

4. Only a 5% increase in fees for over 35 Leagues and Futsal Leagues as they are not full members.

15 hours ago, auld yin wae knowledge said:

Amateur Coach, maybe I have not covered the whole proposal so in the interest of fair discussion the proposal is

1. 40% Increase in clubs affiliation fees from April 1st

2. A limit of £18,0000 on the spend of the International Team

3. Hospitality cut back for all National / District Cup Finals

4. Only a 5% increase in fees for over 35 Leagues and Futsal Leagues as they are not full members.

A limit of 18k for the international team. Scrap it.

1 hour ago, eyeswideopen15 said:

Scrap the national team? Why would you propose that ?

Why did the safa give every club in Scotland back £10 then complain about making a loss so try to then raise club fees £35

Because we are spending up too 18K on it that's why. And for what? What do 90% of the amateur clubs in Scotland benefit from the national team and why should their affiliate fees go up too help fund it? Nonsensical

I don't agree. That's like saying if a club signs 25 players that only the starting 11 and subs should have to pay towards the bills. So should we scrap the select teams coz maybe only 5/6 clubs out the 40 or so get players selected? Or should the clubs that are lucky enough to have players of that ability need to pay for the select / national teams .

11 minutes ago, eyeswideopen15 said:

I don't agree. That's like saying if a club signs 25 players that only the starting 11 and subs should have to pay towards the bills. So should we scrap the select teams coz maybe only 5/6 clubs out the 40 or so get players selected? Or should the clubs that are lucky enough to have players of that ability need to pay for the select / national teams .

What I am saying is if the SAFA are looking to increase clubs fees then surely they should look at wastage within the budget first and imo spending close on £18K a year on something that at best involves a dozen clubs throughout Scotland is a place too start. 90% off the clubs in Scotland are being asked to increase fees by 40% to help fund something that will never apply too or concern them. Your analogy on signed players doesn't apply because at some stage, at some point, they will feature otherwise why sign them? Plus they are getting training once/twice a week so they get something for their money 

Aye fair points. I'd personally rather looking at cutting down various budgets rather than scrapping our national team that is the pinnacle for many Amatuers.

Could we cut a couple grand off the national team budget and then look at fund raising or sponsorships to cover that.

I 100% do not agree with the increase at all but All in all £35 a year, really isn't much at all. So to talk about scrapping a national team over £1 a game per club is a little ott is it not ?

17 minutes ago, eyeswideopen15 said:

Aye fair points. I'd personally rather looking at cutting down various budgets rather than scrapping our national team that is the pinnacle for many Amatuers.

Could we cut a couple grand off the national team budget and then look at fund raising or sponsorships to cover that.

I 100% do not agree with the increase at all but All in all £35 a year, really isn't much at all. So to talk about scrapping a national team over £1 a game per club is a little ott is it not ?

Yeah I am not saying let's scrap it but I just personally feel that if clubs have to increase fees, irrespective of how much, then there has to be a justification for it. Just like in any walk off life if you get made to pay more for anything you wanna know why.  Then when clubs find out that they are paying close on £18K a year for something that is frankly irrelevant too them I think they would have the right too ask questions. However if the SAFA can find a way off keeping costs same and shed the money from their budget somewhere else then so be it. 

In what was the best attended council meeting for a good few years, and after some heated discussions lasting until 10pm the chair temporary withdrew the proposal and invite other suggestions to be put forward.

The SAFA secretary will then put the new proposals [ if any ] along with the original proposal to all the Amateur Leagues in Scotland.

Why it was never put to vote is unsure, however in my view it looks as if the acting chair person and the treasurer realised it was not going get put through therefore decided the best option was to "look again"

What I have been told the Treasurer did a 1st class presentation for the increase however it does tell you how out of touch he is with the running of Amateur clubs today and personally I think he should consider his position after this fiasco. but continue to do the good admin work within the SAFA offices.

On a more sombre note if was of sadness to be hear of The SAFA president serious illness.

With over 330k in the bank it’s beggars belief that this was even proposed. Time for new blood to take over and get the old guard always. There is absolutely no need for the Safa to have that amount in the bank. No need even to cut that much from any of the bills if sustained a small loss it simply comes out the pot. Look again if makes a loss for 3 years but to press the panic button with that amount in bank is crazy.

Archived