Stranraer v Airdrie

Just watched the highlights. Rohan definitely at fault for all 3 Stranraer goals.

Second goal he’s got to anticipate the bounce and react quicker.

Some may find it strange for me to be defending Ferguson but I think critising him for the second goal a bit harsh.
Did I not read that we are eying up  the QP goalie?

No way you can blame the keeper for the 2nd. Nobody could predict that bounce unless they'd seen it happen and come back in their fucking time machine.

1st one the blame lies with him. 3rd one although he's not completely blameless its not entirely his fault.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mybitchunderprotest said:

No way you can blame the keeper for the 2nd. Nobody could predict that bounce unless they'd seen it happen and come back in their fucking time machine.

1st one the blame lies with him. 3rd one although he's not completely blameless its not entirely his fault.

Think this sums it up. The second is just unfortunate. The first is ridiculous and a constant failing he has. The third, he’s one of a few that should be doing better. 

The ‘issue’ will resolve itself as I’m sure we’ll sign a keeper in the summer (rather than look to loan him again). Id like to see an experienced defender who can lead/organise coming in too. And can we please get rid of MacDonald. 

I’d love the (promotion) play offs this year but at the same time I’m realistic that it’ll take time for the manager and new board to restructure the squad and get the the required level of player/balance in. As long as we’re good to go next season and have the short term thinking Ballantyne always had I’ll be happy. 

Appreciate anyone taking time out their day to make a highlights package but the camerawork there was like the Blair Witch project.

The 'keeper is obviously at fault for the first, the second you could question his positioning and the same again for the third.  Thing is, he's no longer a greenhorn and he still continues to make poor decisions. To be perfectly honest, I won't be sad to see him disappear over the other side of the M8 at the end of the season.

The defense continues to be very poor. Hope this little break before the next league game gives the new boys time to settle in and strike up a rapport with their teammates. Seems like with the defense we have, we're going to have to score plenty to win games as we're certain to ship a few.

First goal yes obviously but blaming him on the other 2 shows you have an obvious bias against the guy.

Looked a cracking game that

Not at all. I have defended him more often than not over the years. On reflection the 2nd one is a bit unlucky but the 1st and 3rd (more so the 1st are down to him) As was mentioned earlier in the thread, teams are catching on the fact that he almost always takes a touch and are closing him down.

41 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

Appreciate anyone taking time out their day to make a highlights package but the camerawork there was like the Blair Witch project.

The 'keeper is obviously at fault for the first, the second you could question his positioning and the same again for the third.  Thing is, he's no longer a greenhorn and he still continues to make poor decisions. To be perfectly honest, I won't be sad to see him disappear over the other side of the M8 at the end of the season.

The defense continues to be very poor. Hope this little break before the next league game gives the new boys time to settle in and strike up a rapport with their teammates. Seems like with the defense we have, we're going to have to score plenty to win games as we're certain to ship a few.

Camerawork is always a bit iffy but to the guy's credit, he's apparently the only person willing to film the games. Any other volunteers would obviously be most welcome. Preferably with a decent 4k camcorder.

1 hour ago, Airdrie76 said:

Think this sums it up. The second is just unfortunate. The first is ridiculous and a constant failing he has. The third, he’s one of a few that should be doing better. 

The ‘issue’ will resolve itself as I’m sure we’ll sign a keeper in the summer (rather than look to loan him again). Id like to see an experienced defender who can lead/organise coming in too. And can we please get rid of MacDonald. 

I’d love the (promotion) play offs this year but at the same time I’m realistic that it’ll take time for the manager and new board to restructure the squad and get the the required level of player/balance in. As long as we’re good to go next season and have the short term thinking Ballantyne always had I’ll be happy. 

Yep and Stranraer defenders to blame for Airdrie two goals.

The defender doesn't help the Airdrie keeper much for the first goal, as the keeper points to his right side he knocks it back without looking to the keepers left, keeper doesn't help either by moving to his right as he points. OK, the keeper should have just smashed it out for a throw first time but surely the defender has to look behind himself before he kicks it?

Our camera is crap and as Moonball says the camera work is poor but unfortunately he is the only volunteer we have. Problem for me is he hasnt improved. At least there is footage tho. Used to get a sore neck when i had to edit it. Now others have that job.

Airdries version have extended highlights on Vimeo. Better quality.

All goals are usually a mixture of attacking skills and defensive failings so we could argue all day about some of the goals yesterday but when you take an early lead and miss good chances then the defence have to do their job to keep the lead. That did not happen and that was down to Ferguson. I posted elsewhere that when I saw the highlights I would apologise about the second and I do so here. Mind you McGgregor leaves Okoh unmarked as he charges out for no apparent reason so maybe he has some responsibility. The third was classic Ferguson and I say no more. I agree with a Stranraer poster that their young midfielders did a far better job in that second half and I thought Okoh was quite impressive for someone who appears to be unwanted by some home fans?  As for the 400 fans it was quite end to end entertainment,  even if the poles do block the views sometimes, much better than Hampden. Much as I have quibbles about Belford he made some great saves to stop an early Airdrie dominance, but we could not afford him.

23 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

All goals are usually a mixture of attacking skills and defensive failings so we could argue all day about some of the goals yesterday but when you take an early lead and miss good chances then the defence have to do their job to keep the lead. That did not happen and that was down to Ferguson. I posted elsewhere that when I saw the highlights I would apologise about the second and I do so here. Mind you McGgregor leaves Okoh unmarked as he charges out for no apparent reason so maybe he has some responsibility. The third was classic Ferguson and I say no more. I agree with a Stranraer poster that their young midfielders did a far better job in that second half and I thought Okoh was quite impressive for someone who appears to be unwanted by some home fans?  As for the 400 fans it was quite end to end entertainment,  even if the poles do block the views sometimes, much better than Hampden. Much as I have quibbles about Belford he made some great saves to stop an early Airdrie dominance, but we could not afford him.

Good post , we should have been punished more in first half, but honest summary of game.

Could’ve been 3 or 4 up in the first half just wasn’t our day,The first goal it’s a bad back pass but Rohan should still be dealing with it,Duffy and Carrick look a real partnership although Duffy looks rusty,Stranraers second goal was a stroke of luck,And they’re 3rd goals was what has been happening all season Lazy defending Beith gets away from brownlie too easy

Need to recruit defenders in January!!

Watched the lowlights again,  I really don't think Rohan is the issue at the 2nd and 3rd.

Granted, the pitch clearly plays a part but for me, both goals are due to some fairly apathetic and poorly communicated defending by Stewart and Nelly.

The 2nd goal, Stewart should have pressed the spare midfielder before Jordan did, leaving Mcgregor and Brownlie 2v1 with the scorer and the lethargic Willis taking the wide man.

3rd goal, I don't think, in that bog of a goalmouth Rohan could get to the cross.   Instead I want Willis picking up no 20 and Stewart tucked in behind McGregor and Stewart making the challenge on the cross.

We changed formation and the very young players are still not very well drilled.  Communications and responsibilities are still lacking - with such a young team you will get that - it will improve with good coaching and some on the park leadership.

Talking of on the park leadership,  there is one particularly poor player, a seemingly undroppable 24 year old, who does nothing but snipe at the younger players and divert blame on to them.   

While the goals are obviously poor defensively, the reason we lost that game was poor finishing. We should have been 3 goals up before Ferguson's mistake. At 1-1 Carrick hits the post from a yard out and then they go up the park and score. And we missed 3-4 other great chances. Stranrear didn't create much other than the goals (one of which was a gift), we created numerous opportunities but just didn't take the chances.

If we continue to play that system the games will certainly be entertaining and high scoring. 2 up front, 2 attacking wide men and two full-backs who will get forward but can't really defend. We've got quite a bit of pace in the team going forward, I liked what I saw of Carrick and Duffy too.

Relatively excited for the rest of the season, we'll probably be just short of the play-offs as we'll concede too many soft goals from nothing like on Saturday. But the games will be good to watch and with the off the field developments we can start to have an eye on building for next year with a bit of optimism.

Archived