Worst Manager in the league

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dods has performed 2 minor miracles in a club of our stature and resources in his first 2 seasons . So deserves his chance this year . He's still learning and openly admits his mistakes. I would nt say he's worst manager and has 2 decent assistants. A decent striker would ve been a massive help .

It used to be Ray McKinnon. Possibly the foreign lad at Dundee Utd, too early to tell. Maybe Gary Naysmith  or Allan Johnston now. QotS are no better under Naysmith than they were under James Fowler which still wasn't that bad really and Johnston is a weak manager of matchday, though he's very good getting the right players in.

Decent managers in the division with Duffy, Aitken and Jack. I'd have any of them at East End Park as manager. Darren Dods has done well at Brechin City, keeping them above 9th in his first season and promotion to the second tier in his second.

Easy to say Darren Dods the least experienced manager in the league, with the smallest budget in league, partime club with the smallest population / fan base. Although I do not agree with his tactics every week I think he has done pretty well he just needs a rub of the green here and there. The question might be, out of all the other managers in this league who could do a better job at Brechin with our resources. Mon the City

It is easy to say Dods. Yes, he did well the past 2 years but he currently seems to be out of his depth at this level.

Yes, smallest team, smallest budget etc. But it's a manager's job to work with those obstacles and try to overcome them, with savvy recruitment and strong tactics to at least make the team competitive and hard to beat.

Despite what Jim Duffy says, he has failed to do that, his team are on course to be one of the worst participants at this level in history and he has only guided them to a few measly draws in half a season.

Small club rises to the occasion and beats bigger club in the cup semi regularly. He hasn't managed a single rise to the occasion, overcome the odds performance yet.

Nothing against him and he is inexperienced. But he is the worst manager in the league right now (that's not to say he won't progress in the future to prove himself at this level).

There's a lot i dislike about Jim Duffy, but one thing he is good at is getting the best out of players and on the most part making them hard to beat. I don't doubt for a second someone like him would have managed a few wins with that Brechin team.

17 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Correct. Second bottom of League One at the time of his appointment, having already been relegated from League One once before in a full 3 years' experience.

It is difficult to fathom how he could fill a CV - then or now.

Why was he hired then if his record is poor?

Just now, Margaret Thatcher said:

The chairman was on record saying he had a very good interview. Maybe there were no better offers?

His interview was so good that he was given a two and a half year contract.

3 hours ago, CITY1974 said:

Dods has performed 2 minor miracles in a club of our stature and resources in his first 2 seasons . So deserves his chance this year . He's still learning and openly admits his mistakes. I would nt say he's worst manager and has 2 decent assistants. A decent striker would ve been a massive help .

Erm no: finishing midtable and slithering through a hilariously crap set of play-offs isn't even remotely a 'miracle'. Failing to win a single league match by this time in the season is however historically bad even by Brechin's standards of being crap cannon-fodder at this level. It's not as if the rest of the league is like Serie A in the 1990s either. 

It is genuinely astonishing that Dods hasn't been sacked yet, and he is by some distance the worst manager in the league. 

9 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Anyway, it was unlikely to have been a good thread. The answer is quite clearly Darren Dods.

I think you'd have to go on resources to measure the success available to them, yes part time Dumbarton and Alloa in recent years have punched higher than they should in recent years but success for Brechin would be 9th after they scraped into promotion.

Resources and pts on board, the worst would be either Houston or Hartley is guess if using calculations to get the worst.

McKinnon would be a contender also, tho more pointed on opinion based.

Not winning a single game in half a season is pretty shocking.  Other teams with similar budgets and other constraints have been in this league in the near past and haven't been as poor.

Average points total for the bottom team in the past ten years is 27 points, with the lowest being Stirling Albion with 20.  Brechin will need to improve significantly to reach either of those totals, making them comfortably the worst team at this level for a long time.

That’s quite a subjective question, who is the worst manager in the division this season is a tough one. 

I guess you’d have to look at how each team is performing in terms of expectation and this season everyone is probably performing as expected, other than maybe Falkirk ? 

I suppose you could lump in Inverness but they seem to have turned a corner and I think they’ll really push hard for the playoffs now which was the expectation for them. 

Brechin are doing exactly how everyone expected, they are struggling, I think the best manager in the world would struggle to do anything significant with this Brechin side in this division, no disrespect intended at all, but they didn’t plan to be in the division in the first place and it shows.

So atm although he’s not been incharge long, it’s Hartley for me, ofcourse that may well change by the end of the season. 

I think you'd have to go on resources to measure the success available to them, yes part time Dumbarton and Alloa in recent years have punched higher than they should in recent years but success for Brechin would be 9th after they scraped into promotion.
Resources and pts on board, the worst would be either Houston or Hartley is guess if using calculations to get the worst.
McKinnon would be a contender also, tho more pointed on opinion based.

The question said worst not 'currently performing above or below expectations based on resources'.

Every other manager in the league has had some success at this level (minimum benchmark: winning a game).

Darren Dods, whilst granted he is hindered by resources and expectations are low, has shown no ability to make up that shortfall with managerial qualities.

The best manager in the world would struggle to do anything significant in this league with that Brechin side. But even gubbins managers like Ray McKinnon or John Hughes would likely have achieved more than 3 measly draws in half a season.

Archived