Morton v Falkirk

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

He toes the party line of the board, talking up lack of funds due to dropping crowds as being a reason for not spending when he should be demanding reinforcements (although, he always said he had budget still to use).

Well that is true, Morton’s crowd has disappeared, My mate at uni was a Morton Fan and we went to a game V Dundee Utd, cannot remember if it was a play-off or some sort of decider at the end of the season but the ground was ram jammed and the town was jumping. Compare that to last season, Morton going great guns and crowds were really poor. 

Folks running the club must think if they didn’t turn up last season, when will they? Why splash the cash? 

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

Well that is true, Morton’s crowd has disappeared, My mate at uni was a Morton Fan and we went to a game V Dundee Utd, cannot remember if it was a play-off or some sort of decider at the end of the season but the ground was ram jammed and the town was jumping. Compare that to last season, Morton going great guns and crowds were really poor. 

Folks running the club must think if they didn’t turn up last season, when will they? Why splash the cash? 

Them who run the club are every bit the problem and deserve everything they get. Blaming everyone else for their own failings, squandering money on nothing contributing to 17 years of abject failure during their tenure.

Calls for them to leave are every bit as strong as the calls for Duffy to leave.

1 hour ago, BrianWake said:

Another absolutely insipid performance. The defence are giving away cheap goals, the midfield is an absolute shambles and our strikers are lacklustre and performing below their capabilities. 

The defence is disorganised and drawn out of position far too easily. O'Ware has been dreadful all season and really needs a boot up his arse. He was spun too easily at least twice today, was slow to react to their goal and his distribution has been dreadful for weeks. The only positive thing about O'Ware is that he is a world champion at blaming other people for his basic errors. Couple this with his inability to marshal the defence or issue instructions to those around him and it becomes clear that he should not be wearing the armband. He needs dropped immediately. Russell had an absolute shocker today and needs to shape up if he wants to stay in the team ahead of Strapp. 

Our midfield, with and without the ball, were absolutely abysmal today. We know that Falkirk play 4-2-3-1. We know that playing 4-4-1-1 with Oliver in the 'number 10' role will leave us a man short in midfield. The answer to this is NOT to drop one of the best midfielders in the league to accommodate Harkins. Thompson, despite a few glimpses of ability over the course of the season, has been a disappointing signing and hasn't offered substantial width all season. Tiffoney has not impressed me at all and needs to improve his tactical awareness if he's going to get anywhere in the game. At the moment his 'cut inside and see what happens' approach is easily sussed out and nullified. 

We constantly left a 10-15 yard square of space between Lamie, O'Ware, Tidser and Harkins and a better team would have carved us open a hell of a lot more than often than Grangemouth did. Our lack of shape in midfield without the ball has been the hallmark of every single Duffy side, and we're now beginning to pay the price for it regularly. The sustainability model relies on the manager being able, and willing, to resort to untested loan signings to beef out a light squad. This is the first season Duffy has failed to do so and he's paying the price for it. Releasing McManus was an absolutely laughable decision, and I'm starting to think that failing to find an adequate replacement for Lindsay could end up costing Duffy his job.

Despite us having very capable players in attack, it's just not clicking for us at the moment. In regards to today's two strikers, McHugh hasn't got anything near the amount of service needed to get a decent goal return, however I think the onus is on him to adapt his game to carve out more chances for himself. This hasn't happened this season. Oliver really needs to contribute more. When he's playing behind the striker in a 4-4-1-1, he's not scoring goals or contributing anything substantial defensively. Are we in a position to allow him to drift around in the gap in the hope that he chips in the odd assist? He needs to add another dimension to his game and we need to see it quickly. As for Quitongo, his movement still isn't quite where it needs to be and is still offside far too often. This is absolutely unnecessary given how pacey he is and I'd like to see his anticipation improve if he's going to play at the level he's being touted to.

Duffy needs to have a serious look at himself. Duffy, and the squad that he has assembled, is struggling badly and both need to be assessed with a far more critical gaze than has been applied internally at the club. 

Keep writing Duffy is giving you the best seasons in decades yet many want a change its nuts fron an outside perspective. Seriously who would you want to replace him with. Give him support he is working under budget constraints.  

2 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Them who run the club are every bit the problem and deserve everything they get. Blaming everyone else for their own failings, squandering money on nothing contributing to 17 years of abject failure during their tenure.

Calls for them to leave are every bit as strong as the calls for Duffy to leave.

You have to wonder how long it will be before the Raes hand over to the Easdales. No offence to DDFR but you'd think he'd want to hand over control of the club before he leaves us for good.

3 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I must admit I was surprised by the amount of booing the Morton fans did today. Outwith our own fans at times, and Rangers, they're one of the most negative supports I've heard. 

You've not heard the st Mirren fans then I take it. 

Just watching the highlights from the game since I couldn't make it through, glad to see we were taking the piss early on with Peter Grant beating two men then taking on the shot from 30 yards out. Already acknowledging the win was in the bag before half time,  nice, god bless Don Hartley and this beautiful team x

2 hours ago, BrianWake said:

Another absolutely insipid performance. The defence are giving away cheap goals, the midfield is an absolute shambles and our strikers are lacklustre and performing below their capabilities. 

The defence is disorganised and drawn out of position far too easily. O'Ware has been dreadful all season and really needs a boot up his arse. He was spun too easily at least twice today, was slow to react to their goal and his distribution has been dreadful for weeks. The only positive thing about O'Ware is that he is a world champion at blaming other people for his basic errors. Couple this with his inability to marshal the defence or issue instructions to those around him and it becomes clear that he should not be wearing the armband. He needs dropped immediately. Russell had an absolute shocker today and needs to shape up if he wants to stay in the team ahead of Strapp. 

Our midfield, with and without the ball, were absolutely abysmal today. We know that Falkirk play 4-2-3-1. We know that playing 4-4-1-1 with Oliver in the 'number 10' role will leave us a man short in midfield. The answer to this is NOT to drop one of the best midfielders in the league to accommodate Harkins. Thompson, despite a few glimpses of ability over the course of the season, has been a disappointing signing and hasn't offered substantial width all season. Tiffoney has not impressed me at all and needs to improve his tactical awareness if he's going to get anywhere in the game. At the moment his 'cut inside and see what happens' approach is easily sussed out and nullified. 

We constantly left a 10-15 yard square of space between Lamie, O'Ware, Tidser and Harkins and a better team would have carved us open a hell of a lot more than often than Grangemouth did. Our lack of shape in midfield without the ball has been the hallmark of every single Duffy side, and we're now beginning to pay the price for it regularly. The sustainability model relies on the manager being able, and willing, to resort to untested loan signings to beef out a light squad. This is the first season Duffy has failed to do so and he's paying the price for it. Releasing McManus was an absolutely laughable decision, and I'm starting to think that failing to find an adequate replacement for Lindsay could end up costing Duffy his job.

Despite us having very capable players in attack, it's just not clicking for us at the moment. In regards to today's two strikers, McHugh hasn't got anything near the amount of service needed to get a decent goal return, however I think the onus is on him to adapt his game to carve out more chances for himself. This hasn't happened this season. Oliver really needs to contribute more. When he's playing behind the striker in a 4-4-1-1, he's not scoring goals or contributing anything substantial defensively. Are we in a position to allow him to drift around in the gap in the hope that he chips in the odd assist? He needs to add another dimension to his game and we need to see it quickly. As for Quitongo, his movement still isn't quite where it needs to be and is still offside far too often. This is absolutely unnecessary given how pacey he is and I'd like to see his anticipation improve if he's going to play at the level he's being touted to.

Duffy needs to have a serious look at himself. Duffy, and the squad that he has assembled, is struggling badly and both need to be assessed with a far more critical gaze than has been applied internally at the club. 

Two points about this tear drenched gibberish;
"Grangemouth" shite patter 10 years ago.
"We know that Falkirk play 4 2 3 1" were you at the game today caller?

Just watching the highlights from the game since I couldn't make it through, glad to see we were taking the piss early on with Peter Grant beating two men then taking on the shot from 30 yards out. Already acknowledging the win was in the bag before half time,  nice, god bless Don Hartley and this beautiful team x

Nelson really needs to get his first goal for us soon. He’s had a few chances to score but generally been unlucky.

My concern is if he does not score quickly the head goes down and he ends up being about as effective as Loy.

40 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Aren’t Morton running at a loss  most years and are propped up by the owner?

So you want someone else to shell out more money or put the club at risk?  

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

Nelson really needs to get his first goal for us soon. He’s had a few chances to score but generally been unlucky.

My concern is if he does not score quickly the head goes down and he ends up being about as effective as Loy.

But Nelson tries and is fit. If you try and do your best to help the club, most fans can forgive shortcomings and will support.

Loy is a disgrace to himself, allegedly  on the booze and not giving a shit all because some tart has left him. What a weak individual! 

5 minutes ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

Making a loss in part due to the current owners squandering money and failing to maximise revenues, and owners who are happily processing an almost identical loss year on year regardless of the circumstances (in other words, a clear tax relief for the parent company) yes, i think we'd get by just fine with new owners.

10 minutes ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

Think it's all his 'Millions'. Strawberry flavour best

But Nelson tries and is fit. If you try and do your best to help the club, most fans can forgive shortcomings and will support.

Loy is a disgrace to himself, allegedly  on the booze and not giving a shit all because some tart has left him. What a weak individual! 

Did not know the Loy story you allege. If true, I think he has young kids so a bit unfair to be so critical tbh.

Re Nelson, I think strikers need to have strong self belief. Then they tend to be willing to shoot rather than relying on others, and then the head drops when they start to fail to hit the target regularly.

Totally agree he’s a real trier though so likely to get the breakthrough soon...

4 minutes ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

If that is true, then he definitely is a wet paper bag.

Are you sure it's not some 'Hart' has left him out, and their rekindled love affair has not gone down well.

Archived