Morton v Falkirk

No one thinks Morton have a divine right to make the top four, but missing out on it through this standard of incompetence means questions have to be asked. Taiwo bodied us in your last win at Cappielow to establish control of the midfield and give you the platform to win, Duffy sets up today in a 4-4-2 crossed with 4-2-4 that doesn't have Andy Murdoch in it, inviting your midfield containing Taiwo again to body us and establish the dominance required to win.
There are far worse managers than Jim Duffy out there, but time and time again he does ridiculous shit like this when every fan can see it's blatantly going to be a disaster after one glance. If the average fan can predict it the actual manager of a professional football club should be able to.
He can fix it and stop making such basic and obvious errors, or return to League Two rabbles like Clyde where such incompetence is taken as a given.

This sounds like us with Houston. Playing players out of position to fit a system that didn’t work for our team. We also had an absolutely horrendous home form with him in charge throughout 2017. Only difference is that it looks like Duffy doesn’t have the money Houston had to spunk on absolute gash.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I must admit I was surprised by the amount of booing the Morton fans did today. Outwith our own fans at times, and Rangers, they're one of the most negative supports I've heard. 

The same Falkirk support who gave their team excellent backing today whilst standing in the pishing rain at an utter s***hole ?

Utter sanctimonious rubbish, though coming from a club lackey like you, no surprise.

3 minutes ago, AGPar said:

The same Falkirk support who gave their team excellent backing today whilst standing in the pishing rain at an utter s***hole ?

Utter sanctimonious rubbish, though coming from a club lackey like you, no surprise.

I wasn't referring to our support today which was excellent, and has been in terms of size and backing for a long time.  We're not perfect though and if I chose to observe that "at times" we can be negative, that's my perogative.  A quick glance at facebook pages will give you ample evidence of that.

Don't be so touchy.

Did Morton not go something like a year without getting beat at home? When did that run finish? Some fans are really on Duffys back

We failed to win a game in the entire final quarter of last season (including bending over to a 1-4 home defeat to St Mirren) before stinking out the playoffs.

His transfer dealings in the summer were lacklustre and, despite having room in the budget, he failed to strengthen further.

He built the squad on a wild 4-3-3 formation that was never going to work. Once he ditched that plan after only a few games we were left with an unbalanced squad with no wingers playing 4-4-2 but yet he still refused to strengthen to add the required balance.

He plucks new formations out of nowhere that rarely work. To attempt them, he has to shoehorn players into unnatural positions (even moreso than he was already doing as a result of the aforementioned imbalance).

He drops players out of nowhere, Tidser last week, Murdoch today, to play lineups that everyone can see aren't going to work.

He constantly makes excuses for failing, like claiming Brechin are a difficult team to beat despite the fact that they are being effortlessly beaten almost every week.

He doesn't set effective (if any) targets for progression giving the fans and players no idea what we are aiming to achieve.

He toes the party line of the board, talking up lack of funds due to dropping crowds as being a reason for not spending when he should be demanding reinforcements (although, he always said he had budget still to use).

He guided us to an embarrassing failure in the league cup, failing to get out of the group by failing to beat Queens Park (for the second year in a row).

His ability to change a game for the better is regularly non-existent.

He leaves us bewildered as to what they actually do in training due to the same mistakes being made week in, week out and our tactics seeming to involve aimless punts up the park which, as expected, never work.

He just took 1 point from the bottom 2 teams in the league.

Duffy, do one.

30 minutes ago, AGPar said:

I remember my first beer as well.

We failed to win a game in the entire final quarter of last season (including bending over to a 1-4 home defeat to St Mirren) before stinking out the playoffs.

His transfer dealings in the summer were lacklustre and, despite having room in the budget, he failed to strengthen further.

He built the squad on a wild 4-3-3 formation that was never going to work. Once he ditched that plan after only a few games we were left with an unbalanced squad with no wingers playing 4-4-2 but yet he still refused to strengthen to add the required balance.

He plucks new formations out of nowhere that rarely work. To attempt them, he has to shoehorn players into unnatural positions (even moreso than he was already doing as a result of the aforementioned imbalance).

He drops players out of nowhere, Tidser last week, Murdoch today, to play lineups that everyone can see aren't going to work.

He constantly makes excuses for failing, like claiming Brechin are a difficult team to beat despite the fact that they are being effortlessly beaten almost every week.

He doesn't set effective (if any) targets for progression giving the fans and players no idea what we are aiming to achieve.

He toes the party line of the board, talking up lack of funds due to dropping crowds as being a reason for not spending when he should be demanding reinforcements (although, he always said he had budget still to use).

He guided us to an embarrassing failure in the league cup, failing to get out of the group by failing to beat Queens Park (for the second year in a row).

His ability to change a game for the better is regularly non-existent.

He leaves us bewildered as to what they actually do in training due to the same mistakes being made week in, week out and our tactics seeming to involve aimless punts up the park which, as expected, never work.

He just took 1 point from the bottom 2 teams in the league.

Duffy, do one.

That's good and well but can he do good radio interviews?

26 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I wasn't referring to our support today which was excellent, and has been in terms of size and backing for a long time.  We're not perfect though and if I chose to observe that "at times" we can be negative, that's my perogative.  A quick glance at facebook pages will give you ample evidence of that.

Don't be so touchy.

You didn't say "we're not perfect", you claimed that we are one of the most negative supports in Scotland, some of the evidence for this seemingly being the rantings of a few nutters on Facebook.

It is indeed your prerogative to make such a claim, just as it is mine to assert that it's complete nonsense, all the more so at a time when the scum in the Scottish press are conducting a sustained campaign against the "big, bad Falkirk support"

Another absolutely insipid performance. The defence are giving away cheap goals, the midfield is an absolute shambles and our strikers are lacklustre and performing below their capabilities. 

The defence is disorganised and drawn out of position far too easily. O'Ware has been dreadful all season and really needs a boot up his arse. He was spun too easily at least twice today, was slow to react to their goal and his distribution has been dreadful for weeks. The only positive thing about O'Ware is that he is a world champion at blaming other people for his basic errors. Couple this with his inability to marshal the defence or issue instructions to those around him and it becomes clear that he should not be wearing the armband. He needs dropped immediately. Russell had an absolute shocker today and needs to shape up if he wants to stay in the team ahead of Strapp. 

Our midfield, with and without the ball, were absolutely abysmal today. We know that Falkirk play 4-2-3-1. We know that playing 4-4-1-1 with Oliver in the 'number 10' role will leave us a man short in midfield. The answer to this is NOT to drop one of the best midfielders in the league to accommodate Harkins. Thompson, despite a few glimpses of ability over the course of the season, has been a disappointing signing and hasn't offered substantial width all season. Tiffoney has not impressed me at all and needs to improve his tactical awareness if he's going to get anywhere in the game. At the moment his 'cut inside and see what happens' approach is easily sussed out and nullified. 

We constantly left a 10-15 yard square of space between Lamie, O'Ware, Tidser and Harkins and a better team would have carved us open a hell of a lot more than often than Grangemouth did. Our lack of shape in midfield without the ball has been the hallmark of every single Duffy side, and we're now beginning to pay the price for it regularly. The sustainability model relies on the manager being able, and willing, to resort to untested loan signings to beef out a light squad. This is the first season Duffy has failed to do so and he's paying the price for it. Releasing McManus was an absolutely laughable decision, and I'm starting to think that failing to find an adequate replacement for Lindsay could end up costing Duffy his job.

Despite us having very capable players in attack, it's just not clicking for us at the moment. In regards to today's two strikers, McHugh hasn't got anything near the amount of service needed to get a decent goal return, however I think the onus is on him to adapt his game to carve out more chances for himself. This hasn't happened this season. Oliver really needs to contribute more. When he's playing behind the striker in a 4-4-1-1, he's not scoring goals or contributing anything substantial defensively. Are we in a position to allow him to drift around in the gap in the hope that he chips in the odd assist? He needs to add another dimension to his game and we need to see it quickly. As for Quitongo, his movement still isn't quite where it needs to be and is still offside far too often. This is absolutely unnecessary given how pacey he is and I'd like to see his anticipation improve if he's going to play at the level he's being touted to.

Duffy needs to have a serious look at himself. Duffy, and the squad that he has assembled, is struggling badly and both need to be assessed with a far more critical gaze than has been applied internally at the club. 

Another absolutely insipid performance. The defence are giving away cheap goals, the midfield is an absolute shambles and our strikers are lacklustre and performing below their capabilities. 

The defence is disorganised and drawn out of position far too easily. O'Ware has been dreadful all season and really needs a boot up his arse. He was spun too easily at least twice today, was slow to react to their goal and his distribution has been dreadful for weeks. The only positive thing about O'Ware is that he is a world champion at blaming other people for his basic errors. Couple this with his inability to marshal the defence or issue instructions to those around him and it becomes clear that he should not be wearing the armband. He needs dropped immediately. Russell had an absolute shocker today and needs to shape up if he wants to stay in the team ahead of Strapp. 

Our midfield, with and without the ball, were absolutely abysmal today. We know that Falkirk play 4-2-3-1. We know that playing 4-4-1-1 with Oliver in the 'number 10' role will leave us a man short in midfield. The answer to this is NOT to drop one of the best midfielders in the league to accommodate Harkins. Thompson, despite a few glimpses of ability over the course of the season, has been a disappointing signing and hasn't offered substantial width all season. Tiffoney has not impressed me at all and needs to improve his tactical awareness if he's going to get anywhere in the game. At the moment his 'cut inside and see what happens' approach is easily sussed out and nullified. 

We constantly left a 10-15 yard square of space between Lamie, O'Ware, Tidser and Harkins and a better team would have carved us open a hell of a lot more than often than Grangemouth did. Our lack of shape in midfield without the ball has been the hallmark of every single Duffy side, and we're now beginning to pay the price for it regularly. The sustainability model relies on the manager being able, and willing, to resort to untested loan signings to beef out a light squad. This is the first season Duffy has failed to do so and he's paying the price for it. Releasing McManus was an absolutely laughable decision, and I'm starting to think that failing to find an adequate replacement for Lindsay could end up costing Duffy his job.

Despite us having very capable players in attack, it's just not clicking for us at the moment. In regards to today's two strikers, McHugh hasn't got anything near the amount of service needed to get a decent goal return, however I think the onus is on him to adapt his game to carve out more chances for himself. This hasn't happened this season. Oliver really needs to contribute more. When he's playing behind the striker in a 4-4-1-1, he's not scoring goals or contributing anything substantial defensively. Are we in a position to allow him to drift around in the gap in the hope that he chips in the odd assist? He needs to add another dimension to his game and we need to see it quickly. As for Quitongo, his movement still isn't quite where it needs to be and is still offside far too often. This is absolutely unnecessary given how pacey he is and I'd like to see his anticipation improve if he's going to play at the level he's being touted to.

Duffy needs to have a serious look at himself. Duffy, and the squad that he has assembled, is struggling badly and both need to be assessed with a far more critical gaze than has been applied internally at the club. 

Here, f**k reading all this

48 minutes ago, BrianWake said:

We constantly left a 10-15 yard square of space between Lamie, O'Ware, Tidser and Harkins and a better team would have carved us open a hell of a lot more than often than Grangemouth did. Our lack of shape in midfield without the ball has been the hallmark of every single Duffy side, and we're now beginning to pay the price for it regularly. The sustainability model relies on the manager being able, and willing, to resort to untested loan signings to beef out a light squad. This is the first season Duffy has failed to do so and he's paying the price for it. Releasing McManus was an absolutely laughable decision, and I'm starting to think that failing to find an adequate replacement for Lindsay could end up costing Duffy his job.

:1eye

Archived