H&M Racist Hoodie

H&M have received a huge amount of publicity over this.  I’m cynical enough to believe that was a considered strategy and informed enough to know that the benefits to them will significantly outweigh the negatives.

I had also never heard this particular ‘slogan’ used previously; I doubt most folk had.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

Anyone who can’t see the problem with this, why not go up to a black child at a play park and say “Look at you, you are the coolest monkey in the jungle” and see how people react.

Thankfully I can see what the problem is and won't have to undergo this test.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

H&M have received a huge amount of publicity over this.  I’m cynical enough to believe that was a considered strategy and informed enough to know that the benefits to them will significantly outweigh the negatives.

I had also never heard this particular ‘slogan’ used previously; I doubt most folk had.

Aye, maybe Hugo Boss will pull a similar trick.

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

This. People are right to complain a lot of the time that the world is over sensitive. But there are two problems here though.

H&M knew the reaction this would cause and did it anyway. Theres the way people think the world should be and the way it actually is. We are all obliged to behave according to the way it is like it or not. Doing this campaign in this way is highly negligent of them and for me it is racist, given the history associated with the word in the context of black people.

The other, bigger problem for me is H&Ms use of a child, who is now caught in a race storm who was probably blissfully ignorant of the historical treatment of black people, and the fact that the world is still struggling to not victimise him based on the colpur of his skin. What a shitstorm he is about to get into that will rob him of any sense that he is growing up in a fair world.

And some of this may sound like knicker wetting, but to put in context, I didnt think Griezmann was racist and plenty on here did. There is something really unsavoury and nasty about this one though. H&M can f**k off for me.

Done him a favour then. The world is far from fair and you're better off a cynic than a mug. 

5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I'm with you on this, cracking bit of strategy with spin to follow from H&M.

Poor wee laddie probably just asked to wear the green one. It wasn't like he was asked to take part in a crimewatch reconstruction. 

17 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Drivel. Couldn't disagree more.

Yesterday, my missus, along with dozens of other staff in the support centre, had to endure death threats, things being thrown at the windows, bomb threats over the phone. They were too scared to leave the office at some points yesterday as it looked like a crowd had formed outside, and the police were in and out all day.

9 minutes ago, Myko said:

Yesterday, my missus, along with dozens of other staff in the support centre, had to endure death threats, things being thrown at the windows, bomb threats over the phone. They were too scared to leave the office at some points yesterday as it looked like a crowd had formed outside, and the police were in and out all day.

It always amazes* me that when someone phones a big, multinational company to protest about one of their policies, that they believe that the person that answers their call is also in a position to define the company's policies.

*by amazes, I actually means disappoints.

That’s ridiculous, there may have been 10 people at most at H&M who were responsible for the photo, it’s not like everyone within a company is responsible for everything that goes on there. People are stupid.

All the staff were given a template response to dish out yesterday, the usual passive aggressive apology along the lines of ''no offence intended, we are a diverse company'' etc....

A lot of phone calls from the US - it's caused a bit of a stooshie over there apparently.

1 hour ago, Myko said:

Even if all you claim is true it doesn’t conflict with what I posted in any way.  If you take time to reread my post then your own post you may realise that.

This doesn’t mean you need to agree with my ‘analysis’ it simply means that your claims do not conflict with it.

Does anyone know is this the only garment that this particular kid was pictured in or is it just one of a whole range of clothes he's wearing ? I have 2 wee boys and they have tons of clothes with either the word monkey or a picture of a monkey on them. Surely the racist attitude would be to exclude a kid from wearing one particular item due to the colour of his skin.

However ..... Marketing folk at a big company should know that 99% of the population are utter twats that need protecting from their own thoughts and will twist anything and everything into some kind of outrage.