H&M Racist Hoodie

I’m holding on to the belief that it is inadvertently  racist rather than malicious  but surely that has gone through a lot of people before getting published and nobody saw anything wrong. Also H&M’s child labour record is certainly worth a boycott of their cheap yet still fashionable clothes.

Edited by Sloop John B

Jungle and monkey are both words that have racist connotations around black people and how no one at H&M realised this is a disgrace. It is so obviously going to be taken as racist by a good number of people.

Anyone who can’t see the problem with this, why not go up to a black child at a play park and say “Look at you, you are the coolest monkey in the jungle” and see how people react.

43 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

I call my daughter "monkey" all the time and wouldn't hesitate to dress her in one of those hoodies.

|Then again, I'm not running an advertising campaign. They should have forseen the repercussions

I refer to groups that include myself using the word chimps or monkeys (like "us monkeys in the stand" for example) but yeah, maybe not the best thought out advertising campaign.  They have got a lot of publicity out of it though..... 

41 minutes ago, throbber said:

Jungle and monkey are both words that have racist connotations around black people and how no one at H&M realised this is a disgrace. It is so obviously going to be taken as racist by a good number of people.

Anyone who can’t see the problem with this, why not go up to a black child at a play park and say “Look at you, you are the coolest monkey in the jungle” and see how people react.

Choosing to dress your own child in a slogan hoodie and saying it to strange kids in the park isn't really comparable.

I'd feed my own daughter a banana but wouldn't go round offering bananas to black kids in the park.

Your point is correct, just your example is pish. 

Edited by whiskychimp

Just now, whiskychimp said:

Choosing to dress your own child in a slogan hoodie and saying it to strange kids in the park isn't really comparable.

I'd feed my own daughter a banana but wouldn't go round offering black kids bananas in the park.

^^ offers white kids healthy snacks but won't give to other races^^

I was originally going to ask how people would feel if they overheard a middle aged white woman (the type who love speaking to strangers children) refer to a black child as the “coolest little monkey in the jungle” at a play park but I had less time before my break was over.

Also, would you be happy to buy this hoody for a black child if you were friends with his parents?

27 minutes ago, throbber said:

I was originally going to ask how people would feel if they overheard a middle aged white woman (the type who love speaking to strangers children) refer to a black child as the “coolest little monkey in the jungle” at a play park but I had less time before my break was over.

Also, would you be happy to buy this hoody for a black child if you were friends with his parents?

My kid is mixed.; if friends bought her that I'd think it was awesome. Would I buy it for a friend's kid? No. Maybe, if I only saw it on a hanger I might not see the racist element.

I don't think that's relevant though,  the advert is a total f**k up. 

3 minutes ago, Myko said:

No more offensive than this is to vegans/vegetarians, whatever they're called this week....

real-men-eat-meat-mens-baseball-t-shirt.jpg

Yes it is, and vegans and vegetarians are different things, and I can't recall the terms for them changing