Arbroath v Queen's Park

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just watched Gus’s interview after match, saying Arbroath are a physical side, Apart from McIntosh and Hammy I can’t think any other are over 6 foot, I’d never put us down as pyhsical side with likes of Linn, Gold, Denholm, Swankie and McCord to name a few, 
On game we really need to start killing teams off, made last few mins nervous when it should of been 3 or 4, Thought hammy was poor in 1st half but done well in 2nd, Whatley Martin Little were good too and thought there are signs that Wallace and McIntosh can strike a good partnership, 
Gold MoM, think the full back is still in hospital getting the knots in his legs out

I just listened to it aswell and thought exactly the same. Yule will be over 6 foot too but we’re not a big team and being physical isn’t really our strength. I actually thought they were a really physical side, the number 10 was a giant and they only really looked threatening at set plays never had anything else really.

Said the elements were against him second half too, pretty sure if anyone had a wind advantage second half it would’ve been them although the wind was mainly blowing across the park. Wasn’t that windy either.

He was a bit of a slaver tbh.

Just a bit of sour grapes really, our squad is reasonably well balanced 

3 centre backs and Yule can be used as cover, if we get injuries we can go back to a 4

linn, Denholm, kader and gold compete for wide positions

Martin, Yule, Whatley currently have the jerseys as the middle 3, swankie and McCord have to challenge them 

up front we have Wallace and macintosh with countless others who can go up there.

i don’t see where prunty, Hester or Skelly fit in either and there’s maybe room for one defender

18 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Delighted with the win but should have scored 4 or 5. Martin or Gold for man of the match

Goldie got the hospitality MoM, Yule the match sponsors

Yes, thought nobody was better than Goldie yesterday, should have had a hat-trick at least

Should have had a couple in the 1st half alone. Yule did ok but was nowhere near Gold, Martin, McIntosh or Wallace. Must have been his mates who were sponsoring it

Gold was excellent other than his last minute clearance which he hit straight back into the middle. Thought we struggled a bit in the first half to get forward up the flanks but far better in the second. Should have really put them away though.

Gold was excellent other than his last minute clearance which he hit straight back into the middle. Thought we struggled a bit in the first half to get forward up the flanks but far better in the second. Should have really put them away though.

I think we struggle to get up the flanks due to the 3-5-2 formation. It’s so unbalanced because on the left, Kader or whoever is playing there will have Hammy willing to overlap. On the right there’s no one to do that, and at times Gold was 1 on 3 and had no chance but to try a World Cup ball which had no chance of coming off. Got better in the second half with Whatley, Martin more willing to come over and help him out.

19 hours ago, keptie said:

Don't think Arbroath are physical but did think QP looked lightweight, more a QP problem than Arbroath one...deflection from a pretty poor QP performance imo.

I don't think Gus was suggesting Arbroath were 'physical' in the sense of aggressiveness. The word he actualy used was physicality. We do have a very light side and also very young. I could see how you and others would interpret his deflection but in the context of other interviews QP fans see I think you're correct, he was gently avoiding saying we are not as muscular or physically well developed as many of the elder players you have as a team. I'll not say anymore about any other reasons we might not have won. Better team won, whatever the reasons.

Personally, I think it went sour after half-time when the lads realised there was no steak & black pudding pies available. Shocking unsportsmanship from AFC.

If we’d got in at 1-0, the game maybe goes differently. However, the long and short of it is that Arbroath are simply better than us. The only thing to take from it is that 2-1 made it look like we were involved in a contest. We weren’t. That’s no slight on our players, who gave everything. On the evidence I’ve seen, Arbroath could go up.

Archived