Wee Rovers AGM - Boardroom coup d`etat ?

2 minutes ago, The Pastmaster said:

The school ?

Undoubtedly owned by one of the big PPP exploiters and their facilities won't come cheaply. I've no idea, of course, whether this part of the narrative, the debt, is true.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Undoubtedly owned by one of the big PPP exploiters and their facilities won't come cheaply. I've no idea, of course, whether this part of the narrative, the debt, is true.

Built on land which previously provided free-to-access amenities to the local community.

24 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Mine was built on Katherine Park in Clarkston. I’m still picking red ash out of scabs on my knees over 30 years later.

The other pitches I played on, at Viewfield, are now the Showcase cinema, fast food reataurants and bowling. I miss no opportunity to bore my family of this when we're in the vicinity. Young people of today with their X-stations, pah!

49 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

The other pitches I played on, at Viewfield, are now the Showcase cinema, fast food reataurants and bowling. I miss no opportunity to bore my family of this when we're in the vicinity. Young people of today with their X-stations, pah!

The Viewfield Rd / Sports Barn pitches  are still there; they're in some mess though! Clicky

31 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

The Viewfield Rd / Sports Barn pitches  are still there; they're in some mess though! Clicky

I guess the two brown patches on that clicky are pitches? In the early 70s, youngster, there were a dozen pitches down there, like Espieside.

34 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

This was supposed to be the location of the new Rovers Stadium with Cliftonhill being developed into Social Housing. All was agreed in 2008 before the credit crunch put the kybosh on the Councils funding towards it.

Interesting times for Rovers on the pitch, might be losing/drawing matches  that we really ought to be winning  but it is, usually, a good watch, some great prospects.  Enjoying being a Rovers supporter, not always been able to say that.

So, for there to be  boardroom shenanigans  is so disappointing.

Rovers were in a tricky position financially, due to over ambition of previous boards, plenty of clubs have been caught out this way.  Shareholders were asked for donations/loans, then luck of the draw, Rovers drew Celtic in the Cup.  This kept the club afloat but cuts had to be made and were .  Management and some players walked, as budgets/wages were cut.  The club is heading  in  the  correct direction in terms of  living within means and showing steady financial improvement, the overdraft has been reduced to  low 5 figures from 6 figures in the past..

The club is trying to be a community club as never before.  There are  various groups; Football Memories, Fitness,  Volunteer, Trust, and others that I am only vaguely aware of, being engaged.

The club is willing to try different options.  There have been various things like Christmas Sales, half season tickets etc.

With the club, heading in the right direction, quite why this is the time for board room change is beyond me.

5 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

Heard today that the rovers were around 90k in debt to St Ambrose, any truth in that?

I did a bit of asking about on this earlier, and there are outstanding invoices due to North Lanarkshire Council for the use of St Ambrose. However, the total amount due is nowhere close to £90K, although were you to divide that figure by 12 you'd not be far away!

I did a bit of asking about on this earlier, and there are outstanding invoices due to North Lanarkshire Council for the use of St Ambrose. However, the total amount due is nowhere close to £90K, although were you to divide that figure by 12 you'd not be far away!

Just going with what I was told, nothing in it form my part and was genuinely shocked when I heard this.

Are directors of other clubs allowed to interfere with, disrupt the running of or depose fellow chairmen of SFL clubs? Do rules not exist to stop this? Time to re-read the very dark history of Third Lanark whose stand seats, ironically, were installed at Cliftonhill in 1967.

11 hours ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

I run a kids team who use St Ambrose for training.    We get hounded by NLL to pay our lets in ADVANCE and are threatened with their lets.

Why do NLL treat Rovers differently from the local - council tax paying - youth teams?

Shocking state of affairs

44 minutes ago, Shawheadrover said:

Are directors of other clubs allowed to interfere with, disrupt the running of or depose fellow chairmen of SFL clubs? Do rules not exist to stop this? Time to re-read the very dark history of Third Lanark whose stand seats, ironically, were installed at Cliftonhill in 1967.

More to the point why is Anton Fagan a senior executive at the SPFL allowed to show up at ARFC AGM and use his majority shareholding to dictate policy ie vetoing raising of capital by an additional share issue. Of course any additional share issue could dilute his holding and we can`t have that can we ?

I presume that ultimately when he leaves his position at the SPFL he will want to walk in to the Chairman`s place at ARFC.  I am pretty sure some folks at the SPFL look in on this type of message board from time to time. Even if he didn`t show at an AGM he can still exert control by using an appointed proxy to cast their vote the way he wants.  No individual is going to come in to ARFC, put money in  with the knowledge that the boardroom rug could get pulled from him at any time.

Archived