Most Galling Abandonment Ever?

HibeeJibee

Referee abandoned Friday night's Lowland & East of Scotland U20s Development League game Mid Annandale v Edusport Academy, at New King Edward Park Lockerbie, at HT with the score 0-5.

Unsure why but evidently weather of some kind going by Edusport's nonplussed tweet - though it is 3G. Presumably have to be replayed.

Any similar or greater examples of a rankling abandonment come to mind?

We lost a 2-0 lead in our last season in the Championship. We'd been shite and winless all year, but were somehow heading to our first league win of the season when the match was abandoned with 15 minutes left due to snow covering the touchlines. The replayed game finished 2-2.

Hardly on a par with the examples above, but it's still fucking annoying. Didn't postponed matches used to get replayed from the point at which they were called off, or is that some kind of fever dream from my youth?

25 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Didn't postponed matches used to get replayed from the point at which they were called off, or is that some kind of fever dream from my youth?

Fever dream.

It happens in CL/EL games & internationals where they start again the next day (obviously rescheduling from scratch weeks/months later would be pretty difficult). Also in some continental leagues but, well, they're foreigners.

20 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Fever dream.

It happens in CL/EL games & internationals where they start again the next day (obviously rescheduling from scratch weeks/months later would be pretty difficult). Also in some continental leagues but, well, they're foreigners.

marbles-mind-blown-up-1.gif

I swear this is the Mandela Effect. Was Barry Ferguson a world-class footballer in this dimension?

Referee abandoned Friday night's Lowland & East of Scotland U20s Development League game Mid Annandale v Edusport Academy, at New King Edward Park Lockerbie, at HT with the score 0-5

Unsure why but evidently weather of some kind going by Edusport's nonplussed tweet - though it is 3G. Presumably have to be replayed.

Any similar or greater examples of a rankling abandonment come to mind?

Barr’s just recently announced they’re abandoning half the sugar they used to put into our Irn Bru!

I for one, am absolutely fucking outraged by this! People know the risks FFS!

English football during the Second World War let the result stand when games were abandoned due to air raids.

Most famously Brighton 0-0 Southampton (12th Oct 1940) was stopped after 5mins :lol:.

Aye but the fucking Irn Bru though... [emoji53]

We had a crucial game in our 2012/13 promotion season away to Cowdenbeath called off when 2-1 down with twenty minutes to go. We were 8 points (I think) behind Morton at that stage albeit with games in hand. Archibald had only been in the post two games, two highly unconvincing 1-0 home wins and a defeat at Central Park might have seen us drop out the title race completely. That game arguably turned our season around. Thankfully it didn't cost Cowden their place in the league (although it was close) but I've always thought that game must be pretty galling from a Morton point of view, especially as I thought at the time the visibility wasn't too bad. 

6 hours ago, Virtual Insanity said:

We had a crucial game in our 2012/13 promotion season away to Cowdenbeath called off when 2-1 down with twenty minutes to go. We were 8 points (I think) behind Morton at that stage albeit with games in hand. Archibald had only been in the post two games, two highly unconvincing 1-0 home wins and a defeat at Central Park might have seen us drop out the title race completely. That game arguably turned our season around. Thankfully it didn't cost Cowden their place in the league (although it was close) but I've always thought that game must be pretty galling from a Morton point of view, especially as I thought at the time the visibility wasn't too bad. 

8 behind with 3 games in hand. Even if we'd lost to Cowdenbeath (which we were going to) it wouldn't have seen us drop out of the race by any stretch, but aye, it getting abandoned and us winning the replay was a massive morale boost.

We weren't going to drop out that night but given that Archie had just taken over and overseen two unconvincing home wins (beating Airdrie, the worst team in the league by a mile, only thanks to an Erskine screamer and beating Hamilton thanks to a penalty), I strongly suspect we'd have struggled to make any serious ground on Morton from there, who couldn't stop winning at that stage. Walking away from that game that night felt like we'd really been given a lifeline .

On 15/01/2018 at 12:00, Virtual Insanity said:

The thread on here for that game was tremendous.

There was an East Fife game called off in the late 80s in about the 83rd minute when they were 1-0 or 2-0 up. f**k knows what the final outcome was though.

The thread on here for that game was tremendous.
There was an East Fife game called off in the late 80s in about the 83rd minute when they were 1-0 or 2-0 up. f**k knows what the final outcome was though.

In a League 2 match, 2-1 up v Kilmarnock on 16 December 1989. Abandoned after 78 mins. They beat Killie 4-2 on 10 January.

On 1/7/2018 at 19:29, BigFatTabbyDave said:

We lost a 2-0 lead in our last season in the Championship. We'd been shite and winless all year, but were somehow heading to our first league win of the season when the match was abandoned with 15 minutes left due to snow covering the touchlines. The replayed game finished 2-2.

Hardly on a par with the examples above, but it's still fucking annoying. Didn't postponed matches used to get replayed from the point at which they were called off, or is that some kind of fever dream from my youth?

Alloa were actually 1-0 up against Morton when the blizzard set in early in the second half. The game would have been abandoned by about the 65th minute at the latest: possibly earlier if the time spent by a few gormless volunteers trying to clear the lines wasn't being counted as playing time.  Morton looked as if they could have played all day without scoring so it was certainly a bullet dodged on our account. 

IIRC Alloa's  (home) winless streak was then predictably broken by Hibs in the closing weeks of the campaign. 

Archived