Stay Classy Sinn Fein

38 minutes ago, Kejan said:

Doesn't necessarily mean they see themselves as British. At least 30% of Catholics in the last census identified as Northern Irish according to Wiki.

I don't think anybody said they were British, just happy with the present constitutional set up.

3 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Aye, 850k see themselves as British, 350k as Northern Irish, which would suggest they identify with the present arrangement irrespective of the religious demographic, no?

Just like you'll have Yes voters who identify as British too. I may be wrong, but I believe Alex Salmond has previously he is Scottish and British.  Saying that 350k Catholics who class themselves as Northern Irish means they'll stay put in the UK is a bit naive, no? I'm not saying they will vote Yes in any future referendum either, but you also have liberal, previously small u unionists yet pro-European ones who may well vote for Irish reunification as well. 

Look at the likes of Joe Brolly, Eamonn McCann etc who all have said they are Irish/Northern Irish  at points in their life, I was reading an interview with McCann who said he wrote Northern Irish - naturally - as his identity when checking in to a hotel rather than Irish ; yet there's no doubt if a referendum props up they will vote for a united Ireland.

Much like Scottish independence, a lot is going to depend on Brexit, IMO and if the UK is in the gutter economically. 

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:
4 hours ago, Kejan said:
Doesn't necessarily mean they see themselves as British. At least 30% of Catholics in the last census identified as Northern Irish according to Wiki.

Rory McIlroy is a prime example of this.

And for me to jump the shark by using an example of someone I know. ;) 

He came to Dundee for uni, from outside Derry area - a nationalist background etc - He grew up just at the end of the troubles too, and is fairly open-minded, but he will use the words Northern Ireland, Northern Irish about himself, but obviously sees himself as Irish - he supports the Irish football team first but also Northern Ireland as well - although nae chance of attending a game.  And he will vote Yes to a unification referendum as well, I imagine he's one of the 350k who identify as Northern Irish and Irish.

And for me to jump the shark by using an example of someone I know. [emoji6] 
He came to Dundee for uni, from outside Derry area - a nationalist background etc - He grew up just at the end of the troubles too, and is fairly open-minded, but he will use the words Northern Ireland, Northern Irish about himself, but obviously sees himself as Irish - he supports the Irish football team first but also Northern Ireland as well - although nae chance of attending a game.  And he will vote Yes to a unification referendum as well, I imagine he's one of the 350k who identify as Northern Irish and Irish.
Exactly. I edited my post to include Liam Neeson also.
Re. Mcilroy at the last Olympics was torn between representing GB or Ireland. He stated that he wished he could just represent NI. He eventually pulled out due to ahem.... Injury

1 minute ago, Glenconner said:

Be interesting to see the stats for those calling themselves Scots or British. Although it's probably meaningless to how they voted in 2014. And then there's the EU citizenship many of us might not want to lose. 

I'm sure it was something like 62% identified as Scottish only in the 2011 census. 

14 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Exactly. I edited my post to include Liam Neeson also.
Re. Mcilroy at the last Olympics was torn between representing GB or Ireland. He stated that he wished he could just represent NI. He eventually pulled out due to ahem.... Injury

Mcilroy was going to represent the Republic as he played all his junior golf for them,loads of the top golfers pulled out due to the zika virus

Mcilroy was going to represent the Republic as he played all his junior golf for them,loads of the top golfers pulled out due to the zika virus
Aware that he made that announcement but that's after he stated he wished he could represent NI at RIO. Appreciate zika virus but I'd say it suited him fine to not go through with it.

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
6 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Aware that he made that announcement but that's after he stated he wished he could represent NI at RIO. Appreciate zika virus but I'd say it suited him fine to not go through with it.

Crazy talk..imagine wanting to represent your own country and not some made up one :whistle

11 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Be interesting to see the stats for those calling themselves Scots or British. Although it's probably meaningless to how they voted in 2014. And then there's the EU citizenship many of us might not want to lose. 

Indeed, Glenny.  As an England-dwelling British Scot who upholds the EU-wide free movement of goods, capital and labour I feel under-represented.

Just like you'll have Yes voters who identify as British too. I may be wrong, but I believe Alex Salmond has previously he is Scottish and British.  Saying that 350k Catholics who class themselves as Northern Irish means they'll stay put in the UK is a bit naive, no? I'm not saying they will vote Yes in any future referendum either, but you also have liberal, previously small u unionists yet pro-European ones who may well vote for Irish reunification as well. 
Look at the likes of Joe Brolly, Eamonn McCann etc who all have said they are Irish/Northern Irish  at points in their life, I was reading an interview with McCann who said he wrote Northern Irish - naturally - as his identity when checking in to a hotel rather than Irish ; yet there's no doubt if a referendum props up they will vote for a united Ireland.
Much like Scottish independence, a lot is going to depend on Brexit, IMO and if the UK is in the gutter economically. 

Jeez pal, I’ve read that post 3 times and still don’t get a grasp on most of it. But I’ll have a go. I didn’t mention any religious persuasion in Northern Ireland or their intentions, you’re right, it would be naive to assume otherwise on that basis alone.
The Unionist vote, with a small u as you perfectly describe, may hold a mix of opinions on the EU, but I honestly don’t see that many if any would support unification with the Republic.
The residents of P&B in Northern Ireland might tell us otherwise.

27 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Jeez pal, I’ve read that post 3 times and still don’t get a grasp on most of it. But I’ll have a go. I didn’t mention any religious persuasion in Northern Ireland or their intentions, you’re right, it would be naive to assume otherwise on that basis alone.
The Unionist vote, with a small u as you perfectly describe, may hold a mix of opinions on the EU, but I honestly don’t see that many if any would support unification with the Republic.
The residents of P&B in Northern Ireland might tell us otherwise.

Pity the looney wing of the Tories dragged us all back decades. 21st Century and we're still be dragged into right wing nonsense about nationality and borders. I thought Europe of the Regions was a great idea.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-42906384

He might have been better letting sleeping dogs lie.

All the shitebags aren't in Sinn Fein of course - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-42885894

Edited by Jacksgranda

On 07/01/2018 at 10:33, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Good to see Barry McElduff representing ALL of his constituents. A hate filled James Hunt of a man.

5a51f72ca5b9b_Noclass.png.c73995407d834b1bf5d186fb7d02fa83.png

For anyone wondering what the Kingsmill connection is,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsmill_massacre

I think the fact that he is claiming he didn't intend any offence is more insulting than his actions. Then again, my expectations of this utter g0bshite of a man are pretty low, so I'm not particularly surprised.

This guy is an MP

On 2018/01/20 at 23:53, Glenconner said:

Pity the looney wing of the Tories dragged us all back decades. 21st Century and we're still be dragged into right wing nonsense about nationality and borders. I thought Europe of the Regions was a great idea.

That awkward moment of how to respond when you agree completely with what somebody on the other side of the divide in ancestral terms just wrote...

On 2018/01/20 at 23:20, RedRob72 said:

...The Unionist vote, with a small u as you perfectly describe, may hold a mix of opinions on the EU, but I honestly don’t see that many if any would support unification with the Republic...

...with McElduff and the loaf of bread being Exhibit A as to why people are still driven by visceral level emotions on the UI question. Join us in building the new Ireland after one of our MPs just made a joke out of the cold-blooded murder of 9 of your lot in a youtube clip being an electoral pitch that is unlikely to gain much traction. Gregory Campbell and yoghurt carton or TUV with "leprechaun language" on their website could obviously also be used to explain why Unionism makes little headway in the other direction.