Stay Classy Sinn Fein

1 hour ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

Unionists have always been against promoting the Irish language because to them it would be Northern Ireland losing part of its Britishness. The majority of people learning it probably don't class themselves as British of course.

They should look across the water. Wales is Brexit as f**k.

With my serious head on that is a very insecure identity you have if other people expressing theirs is that much of a threat (applies to all sides)

7 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

With my serious head on that is a very insecure identity you have if other people expressing theirs is that much of a threat (applies to all sides)

That tends to be Unionists for you, permanently feeling threatened, , 

Can't say I'm a huge supporter of an Irish language act,not opposed as such but in the grand scheme of things I'd rather the resource was put into studying other languages which would serve more purpose, Chinese, Russian or Japanese would be more useful than  one you can only use in your own country,and only bits of it at that.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/sinn-f%C3%A9in-has-never-wanted-an-irish-language-act-1.3144266

1 minute ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

Can't say I'm a huge supporter of an Irish language act,not opposed as such but in the grand scheme of things I'd rather the resource was put into studying other languages which would serve more purpose, Chinese, Russian or Japanese would be more useful than  one you can only use in your own country,and only bits of it at that.

And everyone who speaks Irish speaks English, so why the need for an Irish Language Act?

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

And everyone who speaks Irish speaks English, so why the need for an Irish Language Act?

You could say the same in Wales and Scotland. Might cost a bit for translation and photocopying, but it's not a huge issue. Why don't the DUP just demand Scots translations as well if they feel threatened by it?

What’s the general consensus over there JG, do those without an axe to grind believe that cross party agreement to an ILA would get things moving again at Stormont?

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

You could say the same in Wales and Scotland. Might cost a bit for translation and photocopying, but it's not a huge issue. Why don't the DUP just demand Scots translations as well if they feel threatened by it?

From what I've heard, what Irish language activists want is Irish speakers in every doctor's surgery, every job centre, every hospital accident and emergency , every dental surgery, every housing executive office, every MoT centre. etc

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

So that Irish has parity of esteem with English and people who choose to live elements of their life in Irish, including in their dealings with the State, have the choice to. I can appreciate if people think that it is an indulgence but its a human rights issue for me.

7 minutes ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

This argument has been gone over a million times. Children who are bilingual are far more likely to take up additional languages as they grow.

It is not a zero sum game, no school is choosing between Gaelic and Japanese teachers. 

This argument always seems to be based upon capitalist economics which seems quite sad to me that the sole function of linguistic education should be about creating business opportunities ( i know you aren't saying precisely that) instead of seeing an equal value to the literature, poetry and song of Gaelic. not to mention the importance of Gaelic knowledge in geography and history.

However, if you do want to make an economic argument for it recent research has shown that Gaelic and other " indigenous languages" are revenue generators in terms of tourism as people (especially expats) want to hear the language, be told its stories etc etc  Visit Scotland for example, after years of being a bit shit scared of Gaelic are now creating  their own Gaelic strategy to capitalise on this.

1 minute ago, RedRob72 said:

What’s the general consensus over there JG, do those without an axe to grind believe that cross party agreement to an ILA would get things moving again at Stormont?

Now, now Rab, everyone over here has an axe to grind!

If there was cross party agreement I suppose there woud be an Irish Language Act, the devil would be in the detail (of the act).

I think both Sinn Fein and the DUP have painted themselves into a corner over this and can't get out of it without losing face.

Now, now Rab, everyone over here has an axe to grind!
If there was cross party agreement I suppose there woud be an Irish Language Act, the devil would be in the detail (of the act).
I think both Sinn Fein and the DUP have painted themselves into a corner over this and can't get out of it without losing face.

Fair do’s, I can only go with family and friends in Belfast/Antrim who apart from a couple of exceptions are happy to go with it, if it gets the show back on the road. All however are wary of the cost and extent that you mentioned back up the thread.

It is quite funny how Sinn Fein are repeatedly backing progressive issues in their red lines though. Surely anyone that isn’t a raging reactionary must see it’s not a good look to be tagged as the anti-Irish/ anti-LGBT/ anti-abortion party or coalition?

It is quite funny how Sinn Fein are repeatedly backing progressive issues in their red lines though. Surely anyone that isn’t a raging reactionary must see it’s not a good look to be tagged as the anti-Irish/ anti-LGBT/ anti-abortion party or coalition?

They (SF) know how to play the game, and have become experts at it, despite their true identity.

Who gains more by not having a functioning Government at Stormont? Or loses less? Both sides seem to be happy about it, the language thing seems like a smoke screen. If I was a NI voter I'd be fucking raging with the incompetence and/or corruption over the Energy Scheme, never mind their representatives being AWOL during the Brexit debacle.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

So that Irish has parity of esteem with English and people who choose to live elements of their life in Irish, including in their dealings with the State, have the choice to. I can appreciate if people think that it is an indulgence but its a human rights issue for me.

Yes it's an indulgence and there's a hell of a lot more pressing human rights issues.

Yes it's an indulgence and there's a hell of a lot more pressing human rights issues.

That’s a lot of nonsense though as it’s not like pushing this issue to the side is going to have the reactionaries opposed to it cracking on with addressing more pressing human right’s issues. It’s a minor matter to some extent that doesn’t deserve the opposition it’s receiving and that’s on those opposing it.

15 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

There's no league table of human rights issues. You either have them or you don't. That's kind of the point.

No league table?  Maybe not, but there’s some that I’d find more difficult to endure than others.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

No league table?  Maybe not, but there’s some that I’d find more difficult to endure than others.

That's the beauty of universal human rights. The ignorance, prejudice and compete unawareness of privilege of people is not a factor in their application.

Your going to have to explain how it's a human rights thing, as far as I'm aware there isn't any rights that require anyone to conduct business with you in any particular language.

And yes it's rather ridiculous either side is making a big issue out of it, it isn't an issue that has a huge effect either way. Crazy a parliment shouldn't function over a tiny thing.