Downtime Tonight

We've obviously had a bit of a mare tonight. Looks like sudden increases in load are killing our web services. Server itself been up all night but Apache refusing to play nice.

Fucking helicopters.

Anyway, I'm going to get a geek to look at it, this keeps happening when we get busy and it's a shite state of affairs.

Over and out.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Div said:

We've obviously had a bit of a mare tonight. Looks like sudden increases in load are killing our web services. Server itself been up all night but Apache refusing to play nice.

Fucking helicopters.

Anyway, I'm going to get a geek to look at it, this keeps happening when we get busy and it's a shite state of affairs.

Over and out.

Invest in air freshener and umbrellas because shit is going to fly next week when we cuff Ayr.

Sounds like you need more and/or faster memory for the service (not the server). You should profile the server for 24 hours  and you'll find the bottleneck (php). In an ideal world you'd re-write p&b in .net core. ;]

On 06/01/2018 at 23:46, Zen Archer said:

Invest in air freshener and umbrellas because shit is going to fly next week when we cuff Ayr.

A second Saturday in a row without a decent platform to rant about the failings of Ayr United doesn't bear thinking about tbh

7 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Noticed the downtime coincided with Falkirk losing to us last Tuesday. Then it crashed on Saturday after a rare win for them. As a computer expert, my advice to Div would be to ban all Falkirk supporters. 

There are still mentalists out there that think I deliberately crash the forum when St.Mirren lose :lol:

The reality is that the web server has been crashing on heavy loads. I've thrown memory and processing power at it and tweaked performance but unfortunately I've no tools to simulate heavy loads so I don't know if the problem is resolved until the next time it happens.

When we do have a heavy load and the services stall then there is then the problem grows as more and more users try and get on and so as soon as services restart they crash again.

It's a strange one as we didn't really have many issues at all throughout 2017 and then in the last few days we've had quite a few issues. All that's happened in between is us applying regular operating system updates but we do that regularly anyway.

As ever I'll keep tweaking until we get it right.

12 hours ago, Rowan said:

This down time leading to some dodgy swipe choices on tinder to pass time.

Fix it quick!

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Same.

^ regretting swipe rights to each other IMO

Archived