Alloa v Wee Rovers

The last time Albion Rovers visited the Recs wasn't quite the worst game I've seen there, but it came close. Rovers seem to have lost the form they had back then, while the Wasps have improved, so I'm hoping for a better game, but it will probably a close fought tie.

19 minutes ago, English Wasp said:

If we don't win, I'll never start a thread on here again

When was said last we won and the person has never started a match thread since. :lol: Must be best to go 1-0-0 career record.

won today without playing all that well , should have had it wrapped up much earlier than we did , robertson , hetherington  Graham . and PJ my players of the day.

2-1 would have been more of a realistic result . but a wins a win ,crucial as the lichties beat ayr...looks like a bit of a gap appearing with 3rd and 4th playoff places and stranraers problems 

long way still to go  though  but its looking decent.

Not for the first time I don't think Gaz was happy at being hooked.  Did anyone catch what he said to the gaffer when he came off?  Didn't look overly friendly.  Both him and big Kris always the ones to make way but neither look fit so maybe its up to them to buckle down at training?

I completely forgot this was on today and went to work instead. Absolute riddy.

This I miss, but I get to see us shipping five earlier in the season. Thanks, Obama  <_<

It was an entertaining game, and both teams could have scored more. I felt our defence was poor at times and we were lucky to only concede once. But that's nothing compared to the comedy of errors from Albion that led to our second. 

I quite enjoyed that yesterday despite the eventual defeat; two teams playing decent passing football on an excellent pitch is hard not to like. Recreation Park, in general, is an excellent example of a well-maintained older stadium, although £16 for an adult is a wee bit too steep for this level.

For Rovers, Davidson was the main man, especially when we were pushing for an equaliser; looks like the suspension break did him some good. Victoria also had his best game in a Rovers jersey and took his goal very well, although I think it helps that when he goes on mazy runs he doesn't have a clue where he's heading and therefore what chance do defenders have!

Defensively though, we lost three howlers, and our young goalkeeper decided to join in with the defence in making an egregious error for the third goal; probably not an ideal thing to do, personally,  when Scotland's U19 keeper has just arrived on loan from Rangers. Ross Perry's injury is a worry too; hope he's o.k. but it looked like his knee when from under him.

Forfar next week is looking like a must win. Certainly, it's a must not lose!

Another game where I felt Alloa failed to kill of the opposition when on top for long periods and then allowed them back into the game.

Fleming can have no complaints about being substituted as he had fell out of the game after an very effective first half. This was a repeat of Tuesday performance by him. Both him and Renton do not look 100% match fit. I would have brought Frank into central defence moved Taggs to fullback and Robbo into middle of the park.

Personally I thought Flanny had a poor game his form appears to have dipped of late until the third goal his delivery had been well below his high standards. Personally thought the third was an OG as the keeper diverted the ball into the goal as it was looking like going by the post before the intervention.

A really good game yesterday with both sides playing some good football and the game still in the balance til we came on strong in the closing stages. Performance wise a good reaction after Tuesday.

Lots of stuff covered in posts above, would say in addition that Ross Stewart has been a revelation since signing. I thought Flanny wasn't great on Tuesday but much better yesterday. 

Our bench also looking much stronger as the injuries clear up. Although the manager seems to have produced better results on lower number of options it's good to have the likes of Cawley back in contention.

not with a keeper attempting a save ...Technically 

the keeper played well up till then and it could have easily been finished before that "save" .

Technically, it can't be an own goal, but Redwedge77 is right, in that the keeper did more than a little to help the ball into the net. He had the ball, and basically dropped it over the line. He was also at fault for our second goal, allowing himself to get wrong-footed by Crossan

1 hour ago, English Wasp said:

allowing himself to get wrong-footed by Crossan

well i disagree . the keeper was wrong footed by crossan yes ! but it is how football works is it not ? mistakes and skill all part and parcel of the game 

parry allowed himself to be beaten for their goal ? a badly timed tackle here and there ,good players make less mistakes . we won yesterday because we played slightly better than rovers

no luck (you make your luck in football) and i believe we have better players than the majority in league 1.  You hear fans saying silly mistakes cost us the game well sign better players then that is the only answer.  

It's classic Alan Hansen punditry really re a couple of the goals. I thought it was a fine run and finish by the boy Vitoria for Rovers opener, but I'm sure highlights will show Alloa should have defended it a lot better.

Similarly with the Crossan goal, Rovers left a lot of gaps at the back and keeper probably didn't help.

For the third goal, keeper looked very confused whether it was a cross or shot, and by the time he made his mind up it was too late. I was up in the stand and looked impossible to tell whether it was going in or not before the keepers touch. The guys behind the goal will have had the best view there.

5 minutes. Steven Hetheringtons in the SPFL team of the Week but they could have easily picked 5 or 6 of our players on the back of Saturday's showing. 

Special mention for me goes to Fleming who the quality of his distribution was first class against AR. Probably going to say that's his best game for me yet.

Archived