Airdrieonians v East Fife

Should be an interesting tussle. Not expecting anything like the previous encounter as I'm sure they will be hurting after that. We need to keep doing the good things from our last few games. On our day , there are few teams who could cope with the forward threat. HOWEVER!!! On our day, every team could score against us due to lacks in concentration, poor decision making and not working as hard as opponents. Fix the latter, and the former will see us through .

Cairns is injured and if it’s true that Watt is back at Motherwell then it’ll be interesting to see what our line up is. Obviously Fry will come in and my guess would be either Leighton or McIntosh to make up the other CM. If Hastie is also back at Motherwell Brown will take his place but that leaves us with no attacking subs, except players that have only played a game or 2 this season.

But given that we haven’t lost since the last time we played East Fife and they haven’t won a game since then, mixed in with our good home form I’d be disappointed if we don’t win.

12 minutes ago, touchedbymadness said:

Thinkin he'll go:

Rohan

McGregor Brownlie McDonald

Stewart Fry McIntosh Brown Edwards

Russell Furtado

The Club have not yet said Watt and Hastie have left the Club yet. They have specifically said that Allan and Tierney are away but not mentioned the Motherwell players. I'm hoping they're still with us.

11 hours ago, el Gringo said:

They were both at training today.

Good.   Brown and will likely sit them.

Personally i think Fry helped us a lot at Rovers.  His pass for the OG was excellent.

He may have earned a start regardless, maybe give Russell a wee rest and let him impact from the bench

Maybe...

Rohan

McGregor Brownlie McDonald

Stewart Watt McIntosh Edwards

Fry Hastie

Furtado 

I'm starting to favour going 433/442ish again to regain a more compact shape and to balance attack and defence more

Anyone driving to the game should allow extra time for their journey. There are roadworks at the junction of Carlisle Road and Petersburn Road which are causing delays. I have just sat in a queue for 20 mins. Traffic was tailed back for about a mile in both directions on Carlisle Road.

Disappointed we didn't bag the 3 points - dominated most of the first half but lacked the final pass or clinical finish. Second half East Fife raised the tempo and the game was much closer - a fantastic save by Ferguson (the training at Motherwell is working a treat) kept us in it - but  we still looked the better footballing side without a cutting edge.   Thought Luke Watt had a cracking 1st half - bit of Kenny Black about the boy - and should have got MOM.   Oh, I wish we had an out and out striker though.

However, the improvement and confidence in the young boys (since the 6-1 drubbing against East Fife - and I'll put my hands up I was critical - critical because I witnessed it and probably because it was Baltic that day and it took my testicles 24 hours to de - ice afterwards ) is there to be seen . Well done to the players and the coaching staff. 

Went along with my 10 year old son today to watch a couple of players we know... his former boys club coach ( East Fife ) and current individual coach ( Airdrieonians ) .
Hadn’t realised until reading the program that it was almost 37 years to the day that my Uncle ( farmer from Holytown ) took my then 10 year old self to my first Airdrieonians game ( 1-1 draw with Rangers ).
First time at the Excelsior Stadium which I was quietly impressed by .
Felt overall Airdrieonians had more of the game and created more , although think East Fife had the best chance from Wilkie’s header .... great save .
Liked Luke Watt too .
I’ve only seen Airdrie twice in the flesh this season, but look like this young squad are starting to gel and played some good football in spells .
Hope things work out with the new Consortium and we will definitely be back.

Positives from yesterday,from an EF perspective,were we got an away point,we kept a clean-sheet,and the back 5 played very well.

Unfortunately the main negative was what has been for the entire season, lack of support for the main striker,Duggan.. Do we really need to play two defensive midfielders who scarcely get over the half way line?

Airdie were certainly the more adventurous side with Furtado proving a handful. Overall however Goodfellow in the EF goal was scarcely troubled.

I thought that Luke Watt was the best player on the pitch in his mid field role and would have him back at Bayview in a heart beat.

EF have home games for the next 3 weeks:league games against Alloa and Forfar-games from which we MUST pick up points,and a Scottish Cup tie  v Brora Rangers which again we MUST win to bolster the club's finances.

By the way:

The Courier, sometimes , just sometimes, gets it right!!

Archived