Scotland Centre Backs

I've seen Hendry mentioned a few times by Dundee fans but I'm struggling to compute that if I'm honest. He's 22 and doesn't even have a full season of playing first team football under his belt. Is he really that good or am I being whooshed?

I and other Dundee fans will probably have a more biased view like most fans would of their own players but he is a really decent young player. He's reasonably quick, strong, good in the air and really comfortable with the ball at his feet.

I get the argument that he's only played a handful of games which is fair enough looking in from the outside but I think he'll get another move this summer or perhaps to Celtic as they're supposedly interested in him.

He needs game time though and he's getting that at the minute. He's not ready yet but I junk he may have a chance of making it.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Also terrible luck that Barry Douglas is also looking like a good player but probably doesn't have much chance of getting a game. His delivery from set pieces in particular has been sensational this season, which could be a real asset for us, particularly against the more difficult teams where we might not get many chances.

Douglas is having a fantastic season for a team flying in the English Championship, which is normally enough for a guaranteed starting berth in the Scotland team. As things stand, he'll probably not even get in the squad. Incredibly unfortunate.

1 hour ago, AllySloan said:

Anyone think McKenna of Aberdeen should be given a chance at centre-half?

Strange cause I'm an Ayr supporter and last season he didn't play much for us on loan.

Now Aberdeen are rejecting bids for him, gotta be worth a shout surely?

Definitely looks a good prospect. 

20 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Douglas is having a fantastic season for a team flying in the English Championship, which is normally enough for a guaranteed starting berth in the Scotland team. As things stand, he'll probably not even get in the squad. Incredibly unfortunate.

Tom Cairney on verge of move to wba for 15mil he's been really good in the championship now for a few seasons but can't get a sniff either.

Picture this Liam Lindsay hadn't played in the SPFL but had joined Barnsley from another English team but has had the same season he is having now and Strachan picked him for Scotland. What do you think the reaction on here would be?

Tom Cairney on verge of move to wba for 15mil he's been really good in the championship now for a few seasons but can't get a sniff either.

That was under Strachan though, could change with the new manager coming in.

49 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Fucking hell. 

He's just a bitter imbecile who thinks all young Scottish players are shite.  Cause he failed at life and it makes him feel better.

McKenna is an excellent prospect whomwill get many caps and have an excellent career.  You can tell that within about 30 seconds watching him.  Keeping Reynolds out this season too who is a good player at Scottish premiership level.

Liam cooper, on the other hand, is a bit of a haddie.

4 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Scott McKenna was absolute dugshite on loan at fucking Ayr Utd a short while ago. He may have improved immeasurably over the last year and a half, but I'm doubtful he's ready for a Scotland call up.

Probably not yet but will be next season.

Tbh I also think it much more likely you're not a very good judge of a player than he was dugshite though.

13 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Tbh I also think it much more likely you're not a very good judge of a player than he was dugshite though.

I don't think you're qualified to be able to judge Honest_Man#1's credentials.

14 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

I'll have you know I played in the Brazil 1970 World Cup winning team, so am far better qualified to judge than yourself.

He struggled to get into a rotten Ayr Utd team. When he did play, he was a lumbering oaf who's only ability seemed to be heading away long balls. He was basically a younger Grant Hanley.

On 1/15/2018 at 11:18, The Moonster said:

I've seen Hendry mentioned a few times by Dundee fans but I'm struggling to compute that if I'm honest. He's 22 and doesn't even have a full season of playing first team football under his belt. Is he really that good or am I being whooshed?

I get your apprehension and would share it as a neutral but he's the best defender I've seen at Dundee since Zurab. Sticks out like a sore thumb at matches in his physical attributes and a good footballer for a centre back as well. Even on the forums about his times down south, the clubs he was on loan at were in general quite impressed with him and had similar comments to make but he just never really got the chance to play for anyone longer than a few months.

I'm not normally one who touts my own players for call-ups (I find it a bit embarrassing at times) and I do generally see their limiting factors but I think he's someone who maybe should be tested in the international setup sooner or later. There's nothing obvious about his game that you'd point to and worry about with the step up.

He seems to be an OK guy as well who isn't completely thick as shit so that improves his prognosis as well IMO.

In general, I don't think we're actually that terrible for centre-backs as we maybe presume. As has been discussed, we've got a lot of different pairing options we try and I am confident we can get something workable out of it. I would like to see Grant Hanley get another shot though with his return to regular game time, he was very solid when he hit the scene and has plenty of experience for his age.

14 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I get your apprehension and would share it as a neutral but he's the best defender I've seen at Dundee since Zurab. Sticks out like a sore thumb at matches in his physical attributes and a good footballer for a centre back as well. Even on the forums about his times down south, the clubs he was on loan at were in general quite impressed with him and had similar comments to make but he just never really got the chance to play for anyone longer than a few months.

I'm not normally one who touts my own players for call-ups (I find it a bit embarrassing at times) and I do generally see their limiting factors but I think he's someone who maybe should be tested in the international setup sooner or later. There's nothing obvious about his game that you'd point to and worry about with the step up.

He seems to be an OK guy as well who isn't completely thick as shit so that improves his prognosis as well IMO.

In general, I don't think we're actually that terrible for centre-backs as we maybe presume. As has been discussed, we've got a lot of different pairing options we try and I am confident we can get something workable out of it. I would like to see Grant Hanley get another shot though with his return to regular game time, he was very solid when he hit the scene and has plenty of experience for his age.

That's fair enough, I haven't seen much of him at all so I wasn't sure if it was just fans of Dundee over-rating the player or whether he was actually looking very good. Hopefully he keeps progressing.