Scotland Centre Backs

3 hours ago, forameus said:

And the next guy is always going to be better than the current guy, until he becomes the current guy.  For examples, see Fletcher, Steven and Rhodes, Jordan.

Lindsay either needs to be involved, or a manager to come out and explain why not.  It's poor that we're in a position where he has to move down South just to get properly noticed, but he's there now, and seems to be doing well enough.  

TBF Rhodes never really became the current guy, but I take your point.

21 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Liam Lindsay > Grant Hanley + the Chuckle Caldwell brothers. Should be in team....

How Stephen Caldwell ever got more caps for Scotland than Russell Anderson at his peak is a disgrace.

Edited by red23

1 hour ago, red23 said:

How Stephen Caldwell ever got more caps for Scotland than Russell Anderson at his peak is a disgrace.

He only got one more? Anderson was fantastic at Aberdeen but really never got the chance to prove himself a level above due to injury. No disgrace on anybodys part really.

On 10/01/2018 at 19:48, gannonball said:

He only got one more? Anderson was fantastic at Aberdeen but really never got the chance to prove himself a level above due to injury. No disgrace on anybodys part really.

He was on the bench a hell of a lot, when players like Andy Webster, Caldwells and McManus got in ahead of him.

Berra has to first choice, IMO. He's a contender for Premiership player of the year on current form.

The future looks fairly bright at centre half for once with Lindsay, McKenna, Hendry, Souttar, McCrorie etc all playing regularly for their clubs. Whether any of these guys are ready to play international football yet remains to be seen but out of that lot I'd say Lindsay would be first in line. Only issue is that he is also left-sided, as seems to be the case with our whole back four. 

I noticed Mulgrew is scoring a tonne of goals in England, is he still playing CB for Blackburn? 

We await 1 of the kids currently getting 1st team football to kick on certainly a few more prospects than we've had in a while.  Also today should put to bed any pish talk that Tierney at celtic is anywhere near as good as robertson he's been immense against city today night and day between the 2. If Tierney wants to fulfill his potential then he needs to move simple as that.

39 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

We await 1 of the kids currently getting 1st team football to kick on certainly a few more prospects than we've had in a while.  Also today should put to bed any pish talk that Tierney at celtic is anywhere near as good as robertson he's been immense against city today night and day between the 2. If Tierney wants to fulfill his potential then he needs to move simple as that.

A move for Tierney would be good. I still don’t think there’s much between him and Robertson.

KT was excellent at LCB against the dutch. I'd have him and Lindsay, but obviously there would still be concerns having two Left footed CB's. Having Hanlon in the squad for that game instead of Liam was utterly risible. 

5 hours ago, kenny131 said:

No comment on Tierney, but hearing Anfield sing Robertson's name for a few minutes is something pretty special.  He's making some impact 

With all this talk of Lindsay, McKenna, Souttar, Bates etc. Coming through in a couple of year our defence could be tasty. 3 at the back including Tierney and Robertson and Paterson wing backs. Now we just need a quality young goalie and striker to come through...

15 hours ago, kenny131 said:

It's just bad luck that two very good left-backs have appeared at the same time.  While I'd agree that Robertson is the better left-back, I still think the best option is to have Tierney there and Robertson in front.  Or Tierney just inside in a 3 with Robertson at WB.  I don't think we can afford to have one of them cast to the bench unless we're playing in a very specific way where we can't fit them in.  

Not sure he necessarily needs a move.  Spending a couple of years more in Glasgow would probably be far better than being bought for big money and then falling down the pecking order at a bigger club.  Hopefully after a couple of years he's built on the massive promise he has, then he can move to being a starter elsewhere.

53 minutes ago, forameus said:

It's just bad luck that two very good left-backs have appeared at the same time.  While I'd agree that Robertson is the better left-back, I still think the best option is to have Tierney there and Robertson in front.  Or Tierney just inside in a 3 with Robertson at WB.  I don't think we can afford to have one of them cast to the bench unless we're playing in a very specific way where we can't fit them in.  

Not sure he necessarily needs a move.  Spending a couple of years more in Glasgow would probably be far better than being bought for big money and then falling down the pecking order at a bigger club.  Hopefully after a couple of years he's built on the massive promise he has, then he can move to being a starter elsewhere.

Also terrible luck that Barry Douglas is also looking like a good player but probably doesn't have much chance of getting a game. His delivery from set pieces in particular has been sensational this season, which could be a real asset for us, particularly against the more difficult teams where we might not get many chances.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

I don’t think there are many teams where Tierney wouldn’t be in the starting 11. The whole argument that Robertson is a better player because he’s playing at a higher level is fair enough. Until Tierney plays in a top league we’ll never know. Both need to be in the team somehow. I guess if Paterson is playing midfield these days we could go 3-5-2 with him and Robertson wing back, Tierney LCB and Griffiths and a winger up front.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Would be good try out having robbo playing in front of Tierney to get both of them on a friendly is the time to try it,  if it works well our left side would be sorted.

1 minute ago, kenny131 said:

Would be good try out having robbo playing in front of Tierney to get both of them on a friendly is the time to try it,  if it works well our left side would be sorted.

Or Robertson in front of Tierney? I'm not entirely convinced of Tierney's defensive qualities.

On 10/01/2018 at 13:33, Moo said:

The future is Liam Lindsay and Jack Hendry, mark my words.

I've seen Hendry mentioned a few times by Dundee fans but I'm struggling to compute that if I'm honest. He's 22 and doesn't even have a full season of playing first team football under his belt. Is he really that good or am I being whooshed?

16 minutes ago, woof! said:

I don’t think there are many teams where Tierney wouldn’t be in the starting 11. The whole argument that Robertson is a better player because he’s playing at a higher level is fair enough. Until Tierney plays in a top league we’ll never know. Both need to be in the team somehow. I guess if Paterson is playing midfield these days we could go 3-5-2 with him and Robertson wing back, Tierney LCB and Griffiths and a winger up front.

The highlighted part would be in the spl as for the prem I, m not so sure, getting roasted in every time he plays in the champs league doesn't help. The time to move is the summer for him as the standard in the spl is rotten at the moment. As forameus said in another post maybe having both the boys playing on the left might work but my only reservation about it is moving our best left back out of position to accommodate a player that only shines in the spl