Shock Signings?

Shannon

Just seen on Twitter Ian Black ex Hearts, Rangers etc signing for Tranent tonight.

What are the shock / surprising ex seniors / internationalists that have went Junior?

Kevin Thomson has recently played Junior football, was that also with Tranent?!

For Meadow we have had Keigan Parker as a bit of a shock signing although didn't work out for him at Meadow but done okay at Shettleston after us.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just seen on Twitter Ian Black ex Hearts, Rangers etc signing for Tranent tonight.

What are the shock / surprising ex seniors / internationalists that have went Junior?

Kevin Thomson has recently played Junior football, was that also with Tranent?!

For Meadow we have had Keigan Parker as a bit of a shock signing although didn't work out for him at Meadow but done okay at Shettleston after us.

Yeah Kevin Thomson only lasted a few weeks with tranent , Ian black is a tranent boy who played there early in his career when being loaned out from the seniors , he's 32 so still has a few years left in him but usually these signings don't end well , never really liked him as a player as he kind of thought he was a wee hard man on the park but he was more of a sneaky wee character on the pitch for me , think he may well be targeted in the juniors to see how he deals with it, I expect lots of cards both towards him and also to his opponents .

Hopefully it’s seen as a positive for the junior grade that a player that should be playing at a higher level has signed with a junior club. Time will tell about it all but I have no doubt it will be different compared to KT. Being a local lad he knows what it’s all about.

Hopefully it’s seen as a positive for the junior grade that a player that should be playing at a higher level has signed with a junior club. Time will tell about it all but I have no doubt it will be different compared to KT. Being a local lad he knows what it’s all about.

Good luck to him - on paper a great signing.

Unfortunately not many recent examples of players setting the heather on fire when these signings take place.

We were fortunate with Brian Carrigan.

1 hour ago, Shanner said:

Looking forward to hearing about Black girning about hard tackling in the Juniors. 

He's spent this season playing in the quite physical English non-leagues so I'm sure he can take it! As theshed notes, this will be his second spell there - afaik he was there between Blackburn Rovers and Caley.

1 minute ago, cmontheloknow said:

He's spent this season playing in the quite physical English non-leagues so I'm sure he can take it! As theshed notes, this will be his second spell there - afaik he was there between Blackburn Rovers and Caley.

He was bubbling regularly when he was in the 4th tier with Rangers so not really. 

10 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

Unfortunately not many recent examples of players setting the heather on fire when these signings take place.

Brian had a spell with Kilsyth after the Rose and it was very obvious that he was a class act. It was his two goals at Whittlets in the final game of our season that helped us avoid relegation. He had some problems with alcohol though and tried to come back the following season but didn't make it and fell out of the game. A real shame as he still had a lot to offer.

1 hour ago, superbigal said:

Clearly there are good examples as well. Looks to me when I saw cumbernauld that Robbie winters is still enjoying playing football and trying like fook as opposed to sauntering about.

Yeah, I saw Robbie Winters play for Pollok last season an I was pretty impressed. He's obviously not very fit and he's getting on, but he put in a shift and was a touch of class in front of goal.

1 hour ago, garrellburn said:

Brian had a spell with Kilsyth after the Rose and it was very obvious that he was a class act. It was his two goals at Whittlets in the final game of our season that helped us avoid relegation. He had some problems with alcohol though and tried to come back the following season but didn't make it and fell out of the game. A real shame as he still had a lot to offer.

Was it necessary to mention alcohol in your post. Not very professional of you.

12 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

Carrots is comfortably the best junior player I have ever seen.  He had far more ability than Ian Black.

I remember ex Dundee United man John Clark playing for Tranent. He was about 18 stone by then and played at Dunbar Grammar School when Dunbar were temporarily there. Dunbar's hacking expert Andy Hogg dumped him on his arse with a typical two footed tackle. I believe the large dunt left by Clark's landing has since been filled with water and used as an outdoor pool.

As its Tranent v Dunbar tomorrow I wish Hoggy was still around to sort out that wee shite Black.

Remember big Marvin Andrews signing for Rob Roy and prior to that I remember being shocked that Jose Quitongo played with Glens about 10 years ago.

Kean was an undoubted success at Hurlford.

Archived