Mighty QP v Skint Stranraer

One man (Galt) doesn't make a team...................but I fear that weirdo's right if today is anything to go by. I'm a fan of Conor McVey, but with the best will in the world he will never be a creative player or a regular scorer, so it says a lot about our performance when he deservedly wins man of the match. We were all over the place and and Lord Gus has me very confused at the moment. Brady's at his best in central midfield yet starts out on the right wing, before being switched to the left. Another left footer Burns continues at right back, before also being switched to left back, to be replaced by our Man Of The Match who was our best midfield player up to that point. I'm sorry Gus, but I decried Speirs for less and this continued tinkering is starting to concern me .

I never in a million years considered the suggestion that Wharton should be a centre forward as remotely viable, but given the wrestling that the two Stranraer central defenders got away with all game (just deserts for the penalty!), I'd have been tempted to replace Mortimer with Magee and give Cummins the last half hour at centre forward just to give them something else to think about. A frustrating afternoon, but a point is a point.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were very poor today and lucky to escape with a point. Some recompense maybe after deserving much more from the recent run of draws.

I saw it as a soft penalty (at best), but well converted again.  The entire team seemed very flat today and seemed to play passes to general areas of the park regardless of who was there (or not).

Consistency isn't to be expected at this level, but hope it was just an off day. Galt wasn't mentioned as an injury, so hope there'e nothing to worry about:

There is no fresh news on the injury front and we have the same squad available for selection as we did on Tuesday

Ah ok, Edit: Gus MacPherson wasn’t able to name the same starting X1 for the visit of Stranraer, with David Galt away on business and Anton Brady taking his place.

Very poor from a disjointed Queen's team yesterday, with some of the usual recent features once more present and correct, i.e. a free far post header for Stranraer's opener and a late goal lost to seemingly toss away a valuable point. However there was room for the unexpected with Paul Woods not scoring and Queen's managing one late, late last heave to salvage something from the game. Stranraer must be feeling disappointed as they were the better team throughout. I've now resigned myself to not seeing another Queen's win at Hampden this season.

"Slight push"....but a push. Daft from the defender.

Actually I thought a draw was pretty fair in what was a really poor game. Disappointing that the better than average crowd didn't see much of a game , but the ending probably made up for it.

We sorely missed Davie Galt. Gus certainly changes things about, but I prefer that to persevering with something that isn't working.

We clearly haven't replaced the guys who left in the summer adequately but we're competitive. Even playing badly yesterday, we picked up a point.

I'm having a glass half full moment.

Looking at highlights you can see why penalty was given. The Stranraer player has both hands on ( I think) Docherty’s back and definitely gives him a nudge (however slight).
Great finish from Luke for the first. In club after the game we were comparing him to QP legend Lexie Grant in regard to great skill and lack of work rate. But maybe we had drunk one too many.
A frustratingly poor performance yesterday but I did hear that there was a flu virus going round the players so that could explain the lack of intensity that had been so evident in recent weeks.
Definitely a point gained.

It's the wonder of Scottish football that a four-goal game can universally be viewed as poor.  It was a poor game, generally, with two teams cancelling each other out. Stranraer's style just doesn't suit QP and their current misfortune possibly played against us with some players keen to show their boss what they can do. Our worst game this season was at Stair Park so yesterday was an improvement. Disappointment we lost two late goals? How about delight that we came back from defeat twice? And a shade more accuracy from McVey's great header or Donnely's shot before half-time might have seen a second half with more openness.

As for the penalty? I'd lost count of the number of two-handed pushes by Blues players that went unnoticed by the officials. It was good of the ref to lull them into making one more shove before the whistle. Justice served. And top marks to Cummins for finishing the job. 

Nothing much has changed though. We've closed the gap a bit over December but there's still a jump to get to winning regularly rather than just improving. With our centre-half (Cummins) as top scorer and an occasional midfielder (Docherty) in second position something dramatic is required across Jan/Feb.

Stranraer may well feel that the penalty was in the "soft" category, but if any neutral comes on here and says by the laws of the game that it wasn't a clear penalty, I'll be arranging an appointment at Specsavers for them. Docherty made the very most of it as (he is entitled to do), but clear stupidity from the Stranraer youngster to throw away two points their play deserved by giving the referee an easy decision to make. In the cold light of day, I'll be interested in seeing if any Stranraer fans reluctantly agree with that assessment.

It looks more of a penalty on second viewing than it did at the time. Silly from the defender and maybe a bit of a theatrical descent to the deck, but he’s given the ref a decision to make.

14 hours ago, Saturday Night Slider said:

Mortimer is not a striker how many games is that without a goal ? defence is shocking cant continue too keep letting in so many soft goals and stay up !

Mortimer is not (yet) a goalscorer, but was prolific when the Strollers won the Reserve League a couple of seasons ago, and I think he's still far from the finished article. At the moment he's lacking in self-belief and since hitting the post when he should have scored a few games ago, he's been snatching at chances instead of showing the composure that confidence gives you. I agree that he's not what we need right now, and I'm hoping that Gus can bring another Brophy, Duggan or Zanatta in on loan, but right now I think Mortimer contributes more than Orr or MacLennan by stretching defences, and for all he's not been scoring himself I think it's no coincidence whatsoever that we've been collectively banging them in since he got in the team. If we hadn't been conceding so many poor goals and had won two or three of the ones we should have, I'm betting that criticism of Mortimer wouldn't be on the agenda.

Brady's at his best in central midfield yet starts out on the right wing, before being switched to the left. Another left footer Burns continues at right back, before also being switched to left back, to be replaced by our Man Of The Match who was our best midfield player up to that point. I'm sorry Gus, but I decried Speirs for less and this continued tinkering is starting to concern me.
our best run of the season has coincided with mcvey and Brady in central midfield so why change it? Burns culpable in lead up to the first Stranraer goal but he's hopelessly out of position there surely we must have better options in Millen's absence?
Luke Donnelly continues to frustrate as a lot of the game passes him by but when he's involved he's def got ability great instinctive finish for his goal, involved in the equaliser and almost scored a great goal just before HT
He's a total waste of space according to the fud that sits in front of me tho [emoji849]

i know there was a strong wind outside but jesus how the ref bought that slight push and dive for the pen. Tough on Stranraer that.

I'd have felt hard done to but you can see why refs given it...
btw hats off to your support not big in numbers but one of the most vocal away supports at hampden this season
Sense you're all pulling together as a club fans and players [emoji122]

27 minutes ago, Alf Stamp Army said:

our best run of the season has coincided with mcvey and Brady in central midfield so why change it? Burns culpable in lead up to the first Stranraer goal but he's hopelessly out of position there surely we must have better options in Millen's absence?
Luke Donnelly continues to frustrate as a lot of the game passes him by but when he's involved he's def got ability great instinctive finish for his goal, involved in the equaliser and almost scored a great goal just before HT
He's a total waste of space according to the fud that sits in front of me tho emoji849.png

I would assume it the fud " Bring your own socks" who sits in front of you?

Queens Park needs to start playing the ball to Donnelly, rather than hoofing the ball as it is clear this isn't his game, I think people are slowly starting to realise this now. ( you don't get on the fringes of Celtics first team if your shite ) 

Cant understand Gus continuing to play Burns at right back, surely Mcvey or someone else could play there. The crosses are coming in from this side when we're leaking goals.

Brady being played out of position is also frustrating, for me he's much better in the middle of the park.

I think the boy Mortimer is getting nowhere near the credit he deserves either, another great shift put in hope even with the lack of goals he retains his place in the team.

And amazingly after the subs start rolling on, the goals start leaking in.

But over the last 6-8 games, we have performed a lot better, than we did at the start of the season, I'd say this was 2 points dropped 

To be fair Bring Your Own Socks has backtracked ( a wee bit anyway) on his scathing criticism of Luke.
I’m afraid there were quite a few fans having a go at Luke yesterday - including a pal of mine sitting next to me who called for him to be taken off just before he scored. Needless to say he was reminded of that once or twice later that evening.
I think he is the sort of player who will divide fans. I’m in the camp of those who think there is a real talent there and hope we can get the best out of him

27 minutes ago, Boris the Spider said:

To be fair Bring Your Own Socks has backtracked ( a wee bit anyway) on his scathing criticism of Luke.
I’m afraid there were quite a few fans having a go at Luke yesterday - including a pal of mine sitting next to me who called for him to be taken off just before he scored. Needless to say he was reminded of that once or twice later that evening.
I think he is the sort of player who will divide fans. I’m in the camp of those who think there is a real talent there and hope we can get the best out of him

He is that type of player to be fair where he will divide opinion, and football is all about opinions, but some are scathing and blaming him for things he hasn't been involved with too and that's just harsh.

Id say we look a lot weaker without him.

Still, reckon another centre-half, and a midfielder who can hold onto the ball would be good.

i know there was a strong wind outside but jesus how the ref bought that slight push and dive for the pen. Tough on Stranraer that.

It’s not though it’s a stonewall penalty what a mare the Stranraer boys had there what’s he thinking...

Archived