Weegie Overspill v Highland Savages

9 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I would like to see Danny Mullen involved again as he continues to impress with more game time. Once he gains the required level of fitness he's going to do some damage.

I expect 19 goal Gav Reilly to return to the starting line up so no complaints about striking options.

Very impressed with Mullen, on the little I've seen so far. I think he looks like more of a traditional 'one up front' type of player than Reilly is. Not knocking Gav at all, but he'd not usually be my first choice for leading the line on his own. Mullen looks like he's got a bit more dig about him.

Obviously Mullen isn't fully fit, and Gav has been ill, but when they're both 100% I'd like to see them play together. The only problem is that probably pushes Smith out wide, but he tends to drift anyway so it's not a huge problem.

The fact is, we've got this far with only one real 'first choice' striker. Sutton, Duffy and Stewart have barely kicked a ball. The addition of Mullen makes me very happy indeed.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Very impressed with Mullen, on the little I've seen so far. I think he looks like more of a traditional 'one up front' type of player than Reilly is. Not knocking Gav at all, but he'd not usually be my first choice for leading the line on his own. Mullen looks like he's got a bit more dig about him.

Obviously Mullen isn't fully fit, and Gav has been ill, but when they're both 100% I'd like to see them play together. The only problem is that probably pushes Smith out wide, but he tends to drift anyway so it's not a huge problem.

The fact is, we've got this far with only one real 'first choice' striker. Sutton, Duffy and Stewart have barely kicked a ball. The addition of Mullen makes me very happy indeed.

Maybe we could move Kyle inside and  give Cammy Smith a shot at the wide role just to see how potent Mullen and Reilly could be as a partnership. Not realistic in terms of how Jack plays his formation, just some wishful thinking on my part.

13 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Maybe we could move Kyle inside and  give Cammy Smith a shot at the wide role just to see how potent Mullen and Reilly could be as a partnership. Not realistic in terms of how Jack plays his formation, just some wishful thinking on my part.

I think the most important thing is that we've now got depth and options, both in terms of formation and personnel.

I wouldn't say we've been lucky with injuries, but we have coped well with the absences we've had. Mullen, the new CM and hopefully a new wide player should give us squad options to deal with injuries and fatigue.

The issue with Mullen is that the team have spent 6 months playing to Reilly's strengths. Take the Morton game, quite a few times the ball came down the right to Magennis who neatly dinks it inside the LB, presumably expecting a Reilly run. Mullen doesn't have the experience with us to expect that, and even if he did I doubt he has the pace to exploit it.

This is no slight on Mullen I should say, he's clearly not the same player as Reilly and that has both pros and cons. I think, though, that if we are to get the best out of Mullen we need to change the way we attack.

15 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Paisley pansies in full meltdown here.

There is no way, I repeat, absolutely no way that we will lose this game. Nothing gets past King Coll.

Thank you.

We expect your full apology no later than 5pm Saturday 6th Jan 2018.

42 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Paisley pansies in full meltdown here.

I'd forgotten about the ICT fans' penchant for homophobic epithets.

As for a meltdown... I think we were just discussing attacking options and tactics until you came along. Feel free to join in or f**k off.

32 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

“Discussing attacking options”

The above quote is absolutely irrelevant when you are up against Coll Donaldson.

That is true enough. We put four past an ICT side without Donaldson, and just two past one in which he featured.

4 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

The issue with Mullen is that the team have spent 6 months playing to Reilly's strengths. Take the Morton game, quite a few times the ball came down the right to Magennis who neatly dinks it inside the LB, presumably expecting a Reilly run. Mullen doesn't have the experience with us to expect that, and even if he did I doubt he has the pace to exploit it.

This is no slight on Mullen I should say, he's clearly not the same player as Reilly and that has both pros and cons. I think, though, that if we are to get the best out of Mullen we need to change the way we attack.

I think it's a question of Mullen adapting to those around him, along with us learning his strengths. It'll come though. He's had a few weeks of training and playing with Morgan, Smith and Reilly, and will only improve the more time he gets with them I would think. Gives us a bit more competition now at least, with more to come as well. Might even see Mullen and Reilly alongside each other, depending on the circumstances.

Talk of scoring four goals reminded me of this game from the good old days at Love Street when we were good, and put four past them regularly. I hope the Buddies will take it in the spirit in which it is intended, especially those who are obviously not old enough to remember it , or Mark Yardley, or Bobby Mann, or Tam Hendrie, or when Inverness became a city. From August 2002:

Paterson's Platoon Pulverise Pathetic Pandas

ICT continued in the same vein as last week with a comprehensive win over a very poor, if inexperienced-looking, Paisley side.
A distinct lack of motorised transport  this week meant your scribe travelling from deepest Midlothian by bus, train, train, train again, and shanks’ pony, arriving at the ground at ten to three, wearing his lucky blue/red Stade Malherbe Caen scarf, after more than three hours on the go.

Too late for the pre-match swally with the Internutters then. A good few of them were in attendance, but to try and name them would only upset anyone I forgot.

Paisley Panda tried some gentle wind-uppery by gyrating in front of us to the strains of “I’ve got a brand new combine harvester”. With hindsight, a HUGE mistake..........

Since (from past experience) at Love Street they appear to restrict the issue of team sheets to the elite few in hospitality, any attempt to name the non-city team in stripes would be merely speculation.
I did recognise Mendes, Cameron, Gillies and Ross.

Now, the big-city stars: Caff was missing,so it was:
Brown; 
Munro, Mann, Golabek; 
Tokely, Duncan, Hart, McBain, Robson; 
Wyness, Christie.

Though the Townies had the ball in the Caley half of the park early on, it was largely because they had got to kick off, and soon Robson was bulleting narrowly past from a cross whipped in from the right.
You will have to watch Scotsport to find out who crossed it in:
just as Bobby Mann takes no prisoners, your scribe takes no notes.
We had only to wait 9 minutes for the opener, however, and it was no surprise when Charlie was sprung down the right by a clever Wyness pass. His cross was not cleared by A.Panda, and Robbo whipped it home with the trusty left peg.

We didn’t have long to wait for the second, either. At 24 minutes we were just beginning to moan that we were not burying our chances again, just like last Saturday, when after a magical bit of passing down the left, Robbo skipped into the box, a deft flick taking him past A.N.Other Panda, and the finish was deadly.

By this time we were singing “can we play you every week”, which really should be “every fortnight”, because obviously we have to play County every other week.

Three minutes later it was 3-0 as more magic down the left led to the keeper spilling a Robson (?) shot, only for Ritchie Hart to follow up and bang the rebound gleefully into the pokey, before setting off to celebrate in front of his small, but by now delirious, band of admirers.  

By this time the chant was “bring on the panda”. Eleven guys in warm, furry suits could hardly have been worse.

Just before half-time Robbo missed a great chance for his hat trick. 

So ICT left the field to a great ovation from the faithful, who nevertheless felt that some kind of First Division scoring record could have been possible, as we probably created even more chances than last week. Mark Brown had done nothing other than catch a couple of diagonal crosses.

Strangely, no sign of Mr Panda at half time.

St Mirren, the non-city side, emerged with their lugs buzzing after Tam’s half-time talk, but order was soon restored as ICT continued to create chances. You’ll never see half of them on telly tomorrow.

Now, remember that bit on 'Jurassic Park' when they are sitting quietly in the kitchens. The ground begins slowly, imperceptibly, to shake.
In 65 minutes, we had such a moment, before we realised that Yardley was coming on. Mind you he did seem to have lost about 8 stone since last season, but that whippet of a lad, Grant Munro, soon transferred him to his back pocket, and there he spent the rest of the game, except for one deceptively quick turn on the halfway line.

Young Mendes got 3 against Clyde last week, but then Clyde don’t have a Golabek, so he got nowt this week.

After 72 minutes Robbo was sprung following a rare bit of Townie pressure. He skipped through, feinted right and drew back his right peg to pull the trigger, but had his legs taken from under him. Free kick on the 18 yard line. Charlie took it while the Saints were still organising (why does this not happen every week?) and it was 4-0.

Charlie was replaced by Paul Ritchie soon after. Hart was replaced by Tony Low, and Brian Gilfillan subbed Robbo.

After Charlie’s goal, there was a pretty hefty evacuation by the home fans, who have not had it easy since coming down to slum it in Div. 1.
They booed Rosco at first (God’s sake lads, it’s only 3 years after all) then soon got back to what they do best, booing their own side. They then got a bit of relief by booing Robbo second half, but soon got to turn on Tam's Tumshies for the rest of the game.

The best bit though- one Buddy leaving at 4-0 turned to us, and started simulating copulation with, wait for it, no I can hardly type for laughing, an inflatable sheep! These guys and their sense of humour! Maybe the sheep can get a game next week...... 

On a day when Bav and Stewarty notched for their clubs, we get an away win, and it wasn’t 4-3 for a change, it was 4-0. ICT are back to their best of 2 years ago, the slickest passing machine in the First Division.

John Robertson talks so much shite. Always someone else's fault, the ref being the easy target.

It would not surprise me at all if he was relieved of his duties before this season is over.

ICT to receive a considerable humping tomorrow followed by another JR meltdown.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

John Robertson talks so much shite. Always someone else's fault, the ref being the easy target.

It would not surprise me at all if he was relieved of his duties before this season is over.

ICT to receive a considerable humping tomorrow followed by another JR meltdown.

Why would he be relieved? He' taken  team that  was abysmal got rid of most of the dead weight taken in 18 new signings. We now have the second best defensive record in the league after a bad start and once we get a potent strike force will dominate this league. Yes the refs are shite in this league but they are in Scotland in general. A humping really? And you base that assumption on shear stupidity or ignorance? 

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Talk of scoring four goals reminded me of this game from the good old days at Love Street when we were good, and put four past them regularly. I hope the Buddies will take it in the spirit in which it is intended, especially those who are obviously not old enough to remember it , or Mark Yardley, or Bobby Mann, or Tam Hendrie, or when Inverness became a city. From August 2002:

Paterson's Platoon Pulverise Pathetic Pandas

ICT continued in the same vein as last week with a comprehensive win over a very poor, if inexperienced-looking, Paisley side.
A distinct lack of motorised transport  this week meant your scribe travelling from deepest Midlothian by bus, train, train, train again, and shanks’ pony, arriving at the ground at ten to three, wearing his lucky blue/red Stade Malherbe Caen scarf, after more than three hours on the go.

Too late for the pre-match swally with the Internutters then. A good few of them were in attendance, but to try and name them would only upset anyone I forgot.

Paisley Panda tried some gentle wind-uppery by gyrating in front of us to the strains of “I’ve got a brand new combine harvester”. With hindsight, a HUGE mistake..........

Since (from past experience) at Love Street they appear to restrict the issue of team sheets to the elite few in hospitality, any attempt to name the non-city team in stripes would be merely speculation.
I did recognise Mendes, Cameron, Gillies and Ross.

Now, the big-city stars: Caff was missing,so it was:
Brown; 
Munro, Mann, Golabek; 
Tokely, Duncan, Hart, McBain, Robson; 
Wyness, Christie.

Though the Townies had the ball in the Caley half of the park early on, it was largely because they had got to kick off, and soon Robson was bulleting narrowly past from a cross whipped in from the right.
You will have to watch Scotsport to find out who crossed it in:
just as Bobby Mann takes no prisoners, your scribe takes no notes.
We had only to wait 9 minutes for the opener, however, and it was no surprise when Charlie was sprung down the right by a clever Wyness pass. His cross was not cleared by A.Panda, and Robbo whipped it home with the trusty left peg.

We didn’t have long to wait for the second, either. At 24 minutes we were just beginning to moan that we were not burying our chances again, just like last Saturday, when after a magical bit of passing down the left, Robbo skipped into the box, a deft flick taking him past A.N.Other Panda, and the finish was deadly.

By this time we were singing “can we play you every week”, which really should be “every fortnight”, because obviously we have to play County every other week.

Three minutes later it was 3-0 as more magic down the left led to the keeper spilling a Robson (?) shot, only for Ritchie Hart to follow up and bang the rebound gleefully into the pokey, before setting off to celebrate in front of his small, but by now delirious, band of admirers.  

By this time the chant was “bring on the panda”. Eleven guys in warm, furry suits could hardly have been worse.

Just before half-time Robbo missed a great chance for his hat trick. 

So ICT left the field to a great ovation from the faithful, who nevertheless felt that some kind of First Division scoring record could have been possible, as we probably created even more chances than last week. Mark Brown had done nothing other than catch a couple of diagonal crosses.

Strangely, no sign of Mr Panda at half time.

St Mirren, the non-city side, emerged with their lugs buzzing after Tam’s half-time talk, but order was soon restored as ICT continued to create chances. You’ll never see half of them on telly tomorrow.

Now, remember that bit on 'Jurassic Park' when they are sitting quietly in the kitchens. The ground begins slowly, imperceptibly, to shake.
In 65 minutes, we had such a moment, before we realised that Yardley was coming on. Mind you he did seem to have lost about 8 stone since last season, but that whippet of a lad, Grant Munro, soon transferred him to his back pocket, and there he spent the rest of the game, except for one deceptively quick turn on the halfway line.

Young Mendes got 3 against Clyde last week, but then Clyde don’t have a Golabek, so he got nowt this week.

After 72 minutes Robbo was sprung following a rare bit of Townie pressure. He skipped through, feinted right and drew back his right peg to pull the trigger, but had his legs taken from under him. Free kick on the 18 yard line. Charlie took it while the Saints were still organising (why does this not happen every week?) and it was 4-0.

Charlie was replaced by Paul Ritchie soon after. Hart was replaced by Tony Low, and Brian Gilfillan subbed Robbo.

After Charlie’s goal, there was a pretty hefty evacuation by the home fans, who have not had it easy since coming down to slum it in Div. 1.
They booed Rosco at first (God’s sake lads, it’s only 3 years after all) then soon got back to what they do best, booing their own side. They then got a bit of relief by booing Robbo second half, but soon got to turn on Tam's Tumshies for the rest of the game.

The best bit though- one Buddy leaving at 4-0 turned to us, and started simulating copulation with, wait for it, no I can hardly type for laughing, an inflatable sheep! These guys and their sense of humour! Maybe the sheep can get a game next week...... 

On a day when Bav and Stewarty notched for their clubs, we get an away win, and it wasn’t 4-3 for a change, it was 4-0. ICT are back to their best of 2 years ago, the slickest passing machine in the First Division.

c8a.gif

Archived