Junior Club allegiances (Or lack of)

Nikos K

19 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Maryhill were my local junior side when I started following them - I was living just off Byres Road at the time.

I wasn't hooked immediately - I'd initially gone along with an Arthurlie-supporting workmate to a Maryhill v Lie game - but found myself going back once or twice before the end of that season.

It was only during the close season I found myself actively wondering when the games started up again and realised I'd got the bug.

I've since moved away and live maybe 800 yards up the hill from Somervell Park...it would certainly have been a lot more convenient to start supporting my new "local team", but I have to say it never actually crossed my mind...once your affiliation's made, it's made...

No real family connections with junior football although I understand prior to my arrival on the scene my dad would sometimes go to watch Yoker in the late 50s and early 60s when my parents were living fairly locally in Old Drumchapel.

Hillonearth is a true Junior fan like many others out there. When his team isn't playing he'll pick another game and go along. It's always a pleasure to see him around the various Glasgow grounds.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Hillonearth is a true Junior fan like many others out there. When his team isn't playing he'll pick another game and go along. It's always a pleasure to see him around the various Glasgow grounds.

Never quite got my head round the idea that no Maryhill game = day spent mooching about the house. I know a lot of people involved at the club who don't really go in for Plan Bs, but I always see it as an opportunity to go somewhere I haven't been for a while or even better somewhere new.

I can remember when I first started investigating the Juniors - and the nonleague game in general - thinking "Wow, there must be at least a dozen places to visit. Maybe twenty..."

Years down the line and I'm only just now beginning to run out of places I haven't been....

There are quite a few with the same mindset as me going by some of the faces you regularly see around when a lot of games are off - I suspect you might be another that shares it :)

20 hours ago, kiddy said:

4th gen Kemlin man. Not too regular nowadays, but saw every game of the two Junior Cup runs, to the final, back in the 90's.

20 hours ago, kiddy said:
21 hours ago, Taxman said:
Holm Park is an 8 minute walk from my flat but was taken to Yoker games from an early age by my dad & my grampa, both Yoker men.

Your name's not Les Porter is it?

Nope

Been going to watch kilsyth since i was 10 , now in my 50th year on the planet , so 40 yrs off ups and downs throughout the years , my dad had no intrest in the old firm , he always went to see his local side an i just followed on , must admit i'm glad cos cant b bothered with all the bigoted shit that goes with it !
Av tryed the seniors , does nothing for me , am the same as many on here , if weve no game al go to see the pace , the roy or cumbernauld or even along to camelon if there at home .

Have watched pollok since i was taken as a kid with my dad and his friends . Missed out a few years while being a daft teenager and going to watch the blue side of glasgow thankfull got out of that rubbish then played rugby for a few years have been back watching pollok home and away for 25+ years now .

Allegiances. ....I ain't got a lack of them

Pollok was my intro to the juniors in the early 80s,my Grandad who was involved at the club in the 70s continued to follow them and so did his 8 grandchildren..

It was always a fight to carry the half-time board....

Seen them win the scottish cup in the mid 80s.....and was hooked on junior football

Enjoyed my time watching them but as the years went by being from the east end I found myself more interested in Shettleston  after seeing a  game against Bailleston were my friends dad was playing.

Was also fortunate enough to see some of  Maryhills success(cousin played there) in the mid/late 90s .....had a great team  and a joy to watch at times....the best Ive seen at junior level,

But still watching The Town for my sins.........

My nearest club was  Shettleston and went on many occasions .Family connections with Cambuslang and Garngad .Not been to Cambuslang yet and went to see the Roch only for it to be rained off .Season ticket holder at the mighty Cumbernauld United ...missing today because of work - a lucky escape on my part I think but with my 2 comrades in arms we will go just about anywhere if we don't have a home game .Strange thing being it is usually games in the east we end up at with Sauchie juniors  being amongst my favourites

I ended up following st rochs out of what can only be described as fate .
A very close friend of mine passed away suddenly and quite young also leaving a young family behind so a group of us where trying to think up a few ways to raise some money to help out the family and since my friend had been a keen amateur footballer a football match was suggested and agreed .
Despite not being anyway local to st rochs they had been approached and had agreed to let us use the ground for the memorial match .
We raised a good few bob and in the days after that I thought about there kindness and support so I decided to give something back and go watch them on the opening day of the season.
I turned up on my own but by the end of the game I had met and spoke to a few folk and had enjoyed the day out so decided i would head back again and the rest is history .
I now help with the supporters bus, the merchandise and yesterday I was even on the gate to help out .
I absolutely love following the club have met some smashing folk along the way and rediscovered my love for football where you are no longer just a seat number but whatever you want to be as at junior level every club needs folk that will just lend a hand and help the club in whatever way possible.

On 05/01/2018 at 00:09, paul-r-cfc said:

My cousin signed for Pollok in 2004 so went to my first few games in the 04/05 seasons. He was there two years i think so my attendance dwindled after that.

After many good intentions of going back, me and a pal went to the Montrose replay in 2007 when we were 13. Again, didn't immediately start going back but towards the end of that season there was a point where Pollok had a mental amount of games in hand and basically had to win all of them bar 1 to win the league. Made it to most of the matches and was effectively watching Pollok every couple of days at one point!

By the time the last game against Glenafton came round, Pollok had to avoid defeat by 5 goals or something daft to win the league. Cue going 3 nil down (or 2, can't remember exactly) in the first half before winning 5-4. Ended up being 17 of us there from my group of pals bahind the goal and there's a belter of a photo of us jumping on the goalscorer (whose name escapes me for now)

Next few seasons coincided with me getting a celtic season ticket but was still going to Pollok when celtic weren't at home.

After giving up my season ticket 4 years ago, started going a lot more regular and got more involved as a member the last two seasons. Have hardly been to any games this season as I referee in the afternoons but will hopefully put that right in the new year!

Found the picture in question!  That's me in the awful striped jumper1385770_4782385497283_1630540231_n.jpg.d90815ea37b34692b2b469b11ec69eec.jpg

Lived in Southside all my life. Watched Pollok since I was 7 or 8, used to attend the games with all my school pals. Gradually they dwindled into other things but I continued going along with my dad.
Through the supports bus in the early 90s got to know other supporters who I watch the game with now.

Now Live a mile or so from Newlandsfield and wouldn’t think Of doing anything else on a Saturday afternoon. (still lazy and drive to game though!)

The last 4 weeks with no game have been hell - but back with a bang yesterday

Without wanting to be horribly cliche my club chose me. 

Until earlier this year I had no interest in the junior game. After a spell living homeless one or two lads within the St Roch's community sought me out and took me under their wing and now I am smitten. Like many I am drawn by the sense of community and charity that makes the Candy famous. Had previously been a long term ST holder at Celtic but couldn't ever imagine myself going back to the seniors. 

I grew up in Glasgow as a Celtic fan with a soft spot for Queen's Park, and I moved to Linlithgow in 2000 when I got a job in Edinburgh. I started going along to Rose games fairly soon. Rose immediately started on the most successful period in their history, such was the effect I had on them...

After being in Linlithgow for only 4 years we moved to Bo'ness for a bigger house, but the connection was already there and although I watched Bo'ness a few times when Linlithgow were away, my loyalty stuck. In any case we moved back to Linlithgow only 4 years later.

Over time I grew more and more annoyed and disappointed by all the Old Firm bollocks, and more and more attracted by the Rose, Junior football, the community and the fine little ground at Prestonfield. For the past 10 years or so they've been my number one club, and for the past 7-8 years I've had absolutely no interest in Celtic at all, to the point of being happy when underdogs beat them.

I don't go every week by any stretch but I go to maybe every other home game, and maybe one in five away games. I've seen all but two of Linlithgow's Scottish Cup matches home and away since they first gained entry to the big cup, glory-hunter that I am. I'm now indoctrinating my kids in the club, big girl comes with me to lots of the matches (I think she's mostly there for the daddy time, the pies and the dogs), wee fella got a Rose top for Christmas.

I wouldn't have thought it was possible to transfer loyalties so completely as a grown-up. You live and learn.

Archived