Junior Club allegiances (Or lack of)

Nikos K

As someone who is fairly new to junior football i.e. the last year, how do people pick their junior club to support?  is it a family thing or a geographical one. In the seniors you usually just follow the team of your father or the like but is it the same at this level. I know I just pick a game that stands out on the day and go to it and its usually good value for money. The reason I am asking is that I saw an article in the press just before Christmas about the chairman of one club leaving to become the assistant manager of another in the same league, surely this cant be right?  I understand that coaches, managers and players move on but your clubs chairman is a bit too far. How did Clydebank fans feel about this since the guy was claiming to be a lifelong Bankies fan but seems to have jumped ship to further his own career. I'm not having a go as he is entitled to work wherever he wants but as Chairman surely you have a responsibility to put your club first?   

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me personally, I moved to the general area Pollok played (a brisk walk) and wandered along as a neutral. I went back. I only ever lived within walking distance for a few years though. My mum was born and brought up 1/2 a mile away from Newlandsfield though so it's kind of apt I follow them in hindsight.

Family were living in the area for at least 70 years before my Junior club St Roch's were founded in 1920.  Be curious to know what long gone team's my ancestors saw in the Northside of Glasgow between the 1870s and the 1920s. There was two attempts at forming Senior clubs, Cowlairs and Northern plus a whole host of amateur clubs. 

Nothing beats supporting your local club for me , walk to the ground , mingle with other fans in the pub before and after the games without having to travel to home games , support my local team for that very reason although not because they're a junior team , would probably be different if I was brought up in arbroath for example as would probably support the Arbroath senior team rather than Arbroath Vic's the junior team as the senior team are more prominent , would probably be an Arbroath fan first with the local junior team being my second team .

Maryhill were my local junior side when I started following them - I was living just off Byres Road at the time.

I wasn't hooked immediately - I'd initially gone along with an Arthurlie-supporting workmate to a Maryhill v Lie game - but found myself going back once or twice before the end of that season.

It was only during the close season I found myself actively wondering when the games started up again and realised I'd got the bug.

I've since moved away and live maybe 800 yards up the hill from Somervell Park...it would certainly have been a lot more convenient to start supporting my new "local team", but I have to say it never actually crossed my mind...once your affiliation's made, it's made...

No real family connections with junior football although I understand prior to my arrival on the scene my dad would sometimes go to watch Yoker in the late 50s and early 60s when my parents were living fairly locally in Old Drumchapel.

Nothing beats supporting your local club for me , walk to the ground , mingle with other fans in the pub before and after the games without having to travel to home games , support my local team for that very reason although not because they're a junior team , would probably be different if I was brought up in arbroath for example as would probably support the Arbroath senior team rather than Arbroath Vic's the junior team as the senior team are more prominent , would probably be an Arbroath fan first with the local junior team being my second team .

We all know your 1st real team . Your loss that you defected across the great divide that is Kilbirnie Loch [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Most folk support their teams (junior or senior) due to where they live surely?

Up until the age of 17, I had never heard of Meadow, assumed junior football was for kids and only had a fleeting interest in going to live fitba games.

I went along to my first Meadow game with a mate that had been going for a few months. Away to Ardeer in the ADL. Chris Strains first season and I think it was Billy Mason that got our goal. That season, we went on an incredible run in the junior cup. Beating Petershill 3-0 at Saracen Park and only just losing out to Bathgate in the Semi at Firhill.

I was absolutely hooked. I have since moved house closer to the town centre and can actually see the main stand from my bedroom window. If we ever opened up the James Crescent end again, I could be inside Meadow Park in under a minute.

Interesting topic this and I can identify with most of the stuff regarding the local club. Ironic now I have to travel 45 miles to see a home game. Plenty of other people in the same boat from places like Auchinleck due to moving to find work. I wonder if I could support another team with the same passion if I had moved so far that seeing my beloved Talbot was impossible? We do have a Grimsby supporting Welshman in our ranks, who has totally adopted Talbot. Never answers the Grimsby v Talbot question though.  I also wonder where the new supporters will come from, Talbot had some Chinese guys who were at Glasgow Uni as regulars for a time, the culture shock never seemed to affect them. Wonder why the chose Talbot? 

www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/15805605.Treasured_family_snap_gave_me_a_new_love_for_the_beautiful_game/

Check out this article in today' newspaper and it might answer the Ops question

Sure this is similar to many clubs and a good wee read 

Not sure how to add link but if you search google Evening Times treasured family snap it takes you to article

Son signed for Bonnyrigg Rose a few years ago and went to watch them,he’s no longer involved in football at the moment after an operation on his knee and getting on a bit as well,lol,as for myself if it came to watching junior games then Easthouses Lily just down the road or Newtongrange a couple of miles along the road.

2 hours ago, .Stuart. said:

Most folk support their teams (junior or senior) due to where they live surely?

Up until the age of 17, I had never heard of Meadow, assumed junior football was for kids and only had a fleeting interest in going to live fitba games.

I went along to my first Meadow game with a mate that had been going for a few months. Away to Ardeer in the ADL. Chris Strains first season and I think it was Billy Mason that got our goal. That season, we went on an incredible run in the junior cup. Beating Petershill 3-0 at Saracen Park and only just losing out to Bathgate in the Semi at Firhill.

I was absolutely hooked. I have since moved house closer to the town centre and can actually see the main stand from my bedroom window. If we ever opened up the James Crescent end again, I could be inside Meadow Park in under a minute.

I would imagine they would Stuart, I started watching Cowden when as I was young as it was about 5 minutes away from me, if I had been brought up somewhere else I would have no doubt supported what ever team was my local.

2 hours ago, 21stcenturyboy said:

www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/15805605.Treasured_family_snap_gave_me_a_new_love_for_the_beautiful_game/

Check out this article in today' newspaper and it might answer the Ops question

Sure this is similar to many clubs and a good wee read 

Not sure how to add link but if you search google Evening Times treasured family snap it takes you to article

Great article thanks for that I've been up to a game at st.rochs and they're a good bunch 

Find it a wee bit alarming that someone from Irvine hadn't heard of Irvine meadow or knew which level junior was until they were 17 , the meadow are a big club in junior football and the name is unique and it's not like Irvine juniors which could be very misleading , Irvine meadow are very very well known throughout Scotland though and the town is genuinely missing out on fans when someone aged 17 hasn't heard of them , it could in a way explain their relatively poor crowds for the size of town Irvine is as potentially they could be one of the best supported clubs in Scotland per town population and recent success .

Born and bred southsider and Lok my local team as was for my dad and Grandad who supported them loyally.Its easy being a Glaswegian to default to the Old Firm but a large number of Lok fans follow the club because the Old Firm and all that goes with them disgust them-and indeed it makes it laughable when fans of remote villages with no connection to Glasgow turn up at Newlandsfield sporting Old Firm gear!!

Have loved following the Lok with all the highs and lows,camaraderie and friendship from fans of most other clubs in a way that senior football of money brokers,millionaire mercenaries and mediocrity on the pitch could never ever match.

I moved 'close' to New Cumnock, and couldn't be arsed driving into Glasgow to watch Celtic. So I hooked up with the Afton some 6 years ago. I appreciate there aren't many Celtic supporters in Cumnock but do I care [emoji848] nope not a jot [emoji23]

But this is likely to be last season watching the Afton. As I have wheels in motion to move away, too far to travel back to Cumnock

Archived