Dream Holiday

Honest_Man#1

What's your dream holiday(s)?

For me, I'd love to do a tour of South America, particularly Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and Peru. A completely different culture and an area of the world I've never been in. After that I'd like to go to The Maldives and have your own private beach or one of those villas that just open up straight out into the sea, as it looks like it would be the most relaxing holiday in the world.

Used to be the Trans-Siberian railway but have been told that all you see is a lot of trees while trying to avoid getting your head kicked by severely drunk locals and having been on the Moscow-Nizhny Novgorod portion of the Russian railway system I can believe it. Was on a cruise boat down part of the Volga and that seemed to be the better way to go especially the beer loving Chuvash Republic leg of the trip and Kazan was interesting to see how the Tatar and Russian cultures blend and co-exist. Now, I wouldn't mind trying something similar on the Mekong, Amazon or Congo, although the latter is probably best avoided at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

For me, my dream holiday destination has to be in the mountains. The fresh, cool air of the mountains along with the blissful solitude offers the perfect escape for me from this hsutle bustle of the city life. Maybe, the Himalayas as I have been there and understand what it feels to be among those giant of mountains. Apart from the breathtaking scenery, I cherish the silence that the mountains have to offer.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

What kind of a bribe (I mean fine) did you need to get out of Kazakh jail lol.

Strangely the majority of bribes were done in Ukraine. Had a shitty citroen AX loaded up with crap and some of the speeds the Ukrainian police were claiming we were doing was hillarious, 20 dollars offered and usually any problem would go away. Kazakhstan however somehow they arreseted me and my mate for dangerous driving which was strange as he was in the passenger seat. Anyway was meant to go to court and was facing a 5 thousand dollar import tax fine as car was wrote off and not exiting country, however the judge never turned up and we got our passports back so fucked off back in to russia (minus the car).

20 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Next big one on my list is a Safari in the Ngorongoro Crater Tanzania.

I went there in 2015 and it is an amazing place.  The lodge we stayed in overlooked the crater.  

Our first view was from a viewpoint on the main road.  We also went into a Masai village while on that trip - it is really surreal to see them walking about in their traditional clothing while using their mobile phones at the same time. 

On 1/3/2018 at 13:08, Honest_Man#1 said:

For me, I'd love to do a tour of South America, particularly Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and Peru.  A completely different culture and an area of the world I've never been in. 

Peru is a fantastic place to visit   Went in 2013 with my wife and went to Lima (stayed in the same hotel as those 2 daft lassies stayed), Pune (on the shores of Lake Titicaca, Cusco, Ollantaytambo, did the inca Trail over 4 days, and went to Machu Picchu. Then went back to Cusco then onto the Amazon jungle after flying into Puerto Maldonado.

We were part of a group of 16 and we all stayed overnight in a homestead next to Lake Titicaca and played football against a Peruvian village team at over 8,000 ft altitude.  I was over 50 and played in a pair of walking boots, but we did better than Scotland did in 1978. 

We also went into a Masai village while on that trip - it is really surreal to see them walking about in their traditional clothing while using their mobile phones at the same time. 

It was the same when I was at Petra. A 2 hour drive through the desert and mountains, as far from civilisation as one could possible imagine. All the Bedouin girls in the stalls selling tat, were sitting on their iPhones.

I couldn’t actually believe this cafe/stall built into the caves right on top on the mountain next to the Monastery, that had wifi and took credit card.

IMG_9436.jpg.63eea07eca95abb8a0b12dc1722c6384.jpg

Archived