Livi Lions v Doonhamers

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terrific three points with squad seriously stretched. Wasnt particularly pretty but a real gutsy team effort today with no failures.

Without Fordyce, Marshall, Beerman, Jacobs, Carmichael, Lyle and with a squad containing three outfield players older than 23 (one of whom didnt actually play) we dug in and for me deserved the win.

Started well but didnt make the breakthrough and got lucky when De Vita hit the post. Dobbie harried the usually terrific Halkett into a cock up before half time though and, whilst he should really then have scored himself, Kane did do so from the rebound after Dobbie hit the bar.

Given how everyone saw us bullied twice this season by Livi already the way the team stood up to the pressure was terrific. Brownlie was immense, winning everything that went near him. Kerr was composed and calm beside him. Both full backs were solid and Rooney headed lots away too. Rankin and Thomson were everywhere. Dykes and Murray ran up and down the lines all day.Martin generally mopped up everything he needed to having maybe been lucky with De Vita's shot. Kane spent half the game helping out the midfield but still got forward to grab the goal. And Dobs ran more in one game than he usually does in three. He was out on his feet when subbed off but his harrying won the game.

Good day for us. After Tuesday's disappointment a vital three points. We now have the best away record in the division, albeit Livi and St Mirren have a game in hand.

Defence was solid today, Brownlie was immense my MOM won everything in the air best av seen him play. Great to see Joe Thomson back in a Queens strip 100% effort everytime, actually thought JR had one of his better games too, Am still not convinced with the wide players but Dobbie and Kane both put in a shift combining for the winning goal. Hopefully Naysmith has some more new recruits lined up to bolster the squad  especially if we are to lose both St Johnstone loan players after next sat game at Inverness.

Just now, sneeuq said:

Didn’t think we were that good today but we didn’t need to be as Livi were pretty rubbish. Finnie even took pity on them and tried to help them repeatedly but to no avail. Kane will be a big miss. Defenders were solid and even saw Martin jump and punch a ball. Murray had some good play but he is slightly lightweight. Just wished we played more of the ball on the ground. 

Funnily enough I thought the same, only the other way around, the amount of soft fouls he was giving Queens for them to put balls into our box. Funny how we can see the same game so differently.

Don't think either team deserved the 3 points today but we gave Queens the self inflicted chance to score and they did so, other than that Boyd's miss at the end was the only other decent chance in the game. Bad point to drop but isn't too much damage with us only being 1 goal behind and having the game in hand still, it is still really tight between 4 teams for those 3rd and 4th play off places. 

We really could do with a striker instead of having to use Robinson and Boyd to partner Mackin/Todorov, although for the last 15 mins i'd have rather seen Robinson and Boyd up front than sticking Toddy up there and punting high balls to him, QoS defenders handled that easily all game, and the best moves we had came from passing the ball on the deck to get in on goal.t

Disappointing result. After a good draw midweek against 100 men, quite rubbish not getting something against only 14 men..

In seriousness, we were not great today but cant fault for effort. Queens defended very well, but has to be said another game again ruined by incompetent officials. Finnie at his best today.

Frustrating game to watch, must have had most of the ball without threatening too much, but that was mostly down to the Queens defending.

Shame it was a mistake that cost the game, although cant be too hard on Halkett, it is his first mistake (that i have seen) since week 2 away to Brechin. He is still a class above.

I had a feeling today would not go our way, feel like this will be a poor quarter for us, however as long as we win our next 4 games v Brechin and Dumbarton we should be OK. Not too bothered about the play off places, just keep beating Dumbarton's results and that is all that matters.

I wasn't too confident following mauling at Palmerston in November when we didn't compete and were out muscled. This time we did much better against the aerial and physical threat from Livvie. Just shows what I know about football

We were garbage, yesterday. The fight and determination that has seen us through in previous games just wasn't there. Gifted Queens their goal and couldn't do anything about when they parked the bus thereafter. They looked more likely than we did to score, despite us having the majority of possession. There was no incisiveness about our play; just uninspired hoofing. It made for a dire spectacle. We've done incredibly well so far this season, but if we continue to play like that we'll quickly slide back down the league.

Fair play to qots. You defended well in the second half and deserved to win on the basis of that.

Usually the match ball gets re-cycled and used for training exercises but I don't think so in this case - it took some hammering.

Any "neutral" who stumbled across this match must have thought they had not only chosen the wrong match but picked the wrong sport.

We desperately needed a good result and it was a relief to hear the final whistle. Defence did really well - Kerr and Brownlie were very solid and Rooney had one of his best games.

No question that players gave 100% effort and any away win in this league is a great result.

Really disappointing from us yesterday, it wasn’t a great game but Queens done to us what we’ve been doing to teams all season, dogged and determined, made the game scrappy and walked away with the 3 points, credit to them for that. 

We just weren’t at it, we played far too many long straight balls, the couple of times we got the ball down and played we hit the post and Boyd should've scored with a header. 

Hate to say this but since we’ve been without Danny Mullen we’ve lacked any real creativity, think it’s fairly obvious we are in the market for a striker, I fear if we don’t get one our season may start to fall apart. 

Thought overall a draw wouldve been fair but can’t really complain, I sat and wasn’t confident we’d get a goal, it just never looked likely. 

We need to move on and hopefully put in a better performance next week up in Brechin, that now takes on extra significance, win and everything’s ok again, lose and we start looking behind us a little bit. 

Disappointing result. After a good draw midweek against 100 men, quite rubbish not getting something against only 14

Thought we played most of the game with 10 men today as Mackin was damn near anonymous, never seen such a big lad muscled out of so many balls, and would have much preferred to have seen him come off instead of Robinson as he was looking like being our most active threat at that point

The introduction of Boyd, Thompson and Mullin saw us creating more chances and given his role in so many of our goals it is a wonder that Josh hadn’t started the game

Finnie was his usual inconsistent self and seeing fouls take place where there weren’t any and letting obvious ones go, and the nearside assistant couldn’t see offsides in the first half but practically flagged anything that moved in the second irrespective of how many defenders were between the ball and goal

However I felt our biggest undoing was when we kept reverting to the long ball as our attacks were easily picked off by Queens, whereas when we played the ball on the ground and ran at them we seemed to have better luck getting forward and creating chances

Still it was good to have a Saturday game at Home after not having one for so long

2 minutes ago, B0baFatt said:

Thought we played most of the game with 10 men today as Mackin was damn near anonymous, never seen such a big lad muscled out of so many balls, and would have much preferred to have seen him come off instead of Robinson as he was looking like being our most active threat at that point

The introduction of Boyd, Thompson and Mullin saw us creating more chances and given his role in so many of our goals it is a wonder that Josh hadn’t started the game

Finnie was his usual inconsistent self and seeing fouls take place where there weren’t any and letting obvious ones go, and the nearside assistant couldn’t see offsides in the first half but practically flagged anything that moved in the second irrespective of how many defenders were between the ball and goal

However I felt our biggest undoing was when we kept reverting to the long ball as our attacks were easily picked off by Queens, whereas when we played the ball on the ground and ran at them we seemed to have better luck getting forward and creating chances

Still it was good to have a Saturday game at Home after not having one for so long

I was astonished at the abuse the nearside linesman got yesterday, I was sat behind the home dug out and I’m sorry but he got every single offside call correct, there was a time two of our players where 2 yards offside and our fans went crazy when he put the flag up, even the De Vita one near the end he was standing a yard offside, I’d suggest having a go at our players for not looking across the line not the linesman for doing his job correctly.

It was actually beginning to annoy me more than how we were playing, it’s was up there with the eejit that constantly shouts for offside from goal kicks. 

I was astonished at the abuse the nearside linesman got yesterday, I was sat behind the home dug out and I’m sorry but he got every single offside call correct, there was a time two of our players where 2 yards offside and our fans went crazy when he put the flag up, even the De Vita one near the end he was standing a yard offside, I’d suggest having a go at our players for not looking across the line not the linesman for doing his job correctly.
It was actually beginning to annoy me more than how we were playing, it’s was up there with the eejit that constantly shouts for offside from goal kicks. 

That boy constantly shouting something and ends it with "ya clown" can get right TFO of Almondvale. We win and he moans. We lose and he moans. It's embarrassing.

Draw would have been fair but we gave away a silly goal and gave Queen’s something to hold onto. They defended well but our constant long ball wasn’t working. Missed the midfield out and it just got scrappy. Boyd’s chance near end would have made it an interesting last 10 minutes if we scored that. Move on to Brechin away next week 

You must have been sitting around the point where he stopped running as they were at least 3 offsides given when they were bodies playing people onside

Agree about the guy wanting offsides from goal kicks, but seeing as Finnie was trying to get the Livi player to go off after receiving treatment despite booking the Queens guy it somethings feels that the folk on the terraces aren’t the only ones who don’t know the rules

That's a really excellent three points, well done to the players who sound like they worked hard for them.  All the sweeter when you don't expect them.

A special thanks to everyone (myself included) who ensured our victory by placing money on Livingston, top work! :thumsup2

Great hard working performance to dig out a result. I thought the back four were excellent but Kane MOM. Credit to Naysmith for switching Kane and Dobbie to flood the midfield against a solid looking Livy team.

The squad looks threadbare. Is Stirling injured or has he had a fall out with the manager? He spent the whole of half-time sitting on the bench. It seemed like an obvious substitution to replace Murray in the second half.

3 minutes ago, B0baFatt said:

You must have been sitting around the point where he stopped running as they were at least 3 offsides given when they were bodies playing people onside

Agree about the guy wanting offsides from goal kicks, but seeing as Finnie was trying to get the Livi player to go off after receiving treatment despite booking the Queens guy it somethings feels that the folk on the terraces aren’t the only ones who don’t know the rules

My mate is a qualified referee and Linesman and was at the game yesterday and agreed that every call he got correct, couldn’t believe what he was hearing around him. 

My mate is a qualified referee and Linesman and was at the game yesterday and agreed that every call he got correct, couldn’t believe what he was hearing around him. 

Sitting a further 20ish yards down the pitch maybe gives a different viewing angle but from where I was sat the decisions where wrong, not that it was those that cost us the game

1 hour ago, andylivi1 said:

The officials didnt get much wrong yesterday despite the baying of some dafties in the home support behind the away dugout.

Given Joe Thomson got (rightly) booked for a high foot early on he was slightly lucky to get away with one again later. There was a Livi handball missed out on the touchline second half that Finnie coulfnt have seen to be fair but the assistant should have. 

Thought Rooney's booking was a little harsh but the officials had a good game generally.

Archived