Ayr vs Arbroath

Woeful 1st half, excellent 2nd half.

Adams was bullying our midfield in the first half so we made the alteration of playing a bit more direct in the 2nd and bypassing him and our 2nd goal came from Leighton chasing a lost cause.

Sending off was justified and both TOB bookings were for cynical fouls. I'm not sure he had to make the first one but he absolutely had to make the 2nd one.

So many players having massively contrasting halves. Martin was poor then brilliant (although his passing was iffy all game). Hamilton was a clear weak link in the 1st half but solid 2nd.

McIntosh MOTM for me, won loads of aerial battles, worked his arse off and scored the winner. Can't ask for much more.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weird game. Early goal then seemed to through the motions, didnt play that well but still had some great chances to put it out of sight with Arbroath offering nothing at all.

Then second half we were absolutely shocking - second to everything and struggled to trap a ball never mind put 3 passes together. Fell apart when Higgins went off - goals were inevitable (but of course had Hart not comes rushing out for no reason we would have probably got a point). Lack of urgency worries me. Injuries of course seriously hampering us - once Higgins went off you are looking at a team with 5 guaranteed starters missing. But McCall made an arse of the sub IMO - nothing against young Faulds coming on in CM - but to then put Moore on for McDaid shortly after and put Moff into midfield just seems daft - meant we all of a sudden had no shape whatsoever.

Edit to say credit to Arbroath - as the game went on they actually looked the quicker and fitter side.

Losing to a part-time team, at home, after leading at half-time, and them scoring a winner after going down to ten men. What are we going for this week lads, freak result or should have been 6 or 7?

The thing is - for me, the 'excuses' above have actually been fairly accurate in other games. Alloa 3-3 game we actually played pretty well and basically got robbed a bit. Airdrie draw similar, and I wasnt at Forfar game but when you see some of the saves their keeper had and the late collapse it could be considered a freak. Today was different as we were terrible and got exactly what we deserved in the end.

Didnt help that Moff and Shankland (and Moore when he came on) were all as bad as i've seen them. Touch miles off. And both full backs had shockers.

That was the most worrying thing for me.

The 3 boys we have in the middle of the park, Scott Martin, Mark Whatley and Blair Yule could still be running about like madmen even now to be fair.

Great energy in there and sounds like we ground out a win because of it.

On 03/01/2018 at 00:09, lichtgilphead said:

Hoping to attend if the weather is decent. Not a derby & not a huge amount of pressure on the team. I feel that we can score a couple, so suspect that Ayr will need 3 to win...

An excellent day out all in all.

Lucky to get in at only 1-0 down at half-time, but a great 2nd half performance justified my optimism above.

7 minutes ago, Hursty said:

The thing is - for me, the 'excuses' above have actually been fairly accurate in other games. Alloa 3-3 game we actually played pretty well and basically got robbed a bit. Airdrie draw similar, and I wasnt at Forfar game but when you see some of the saves their keeper had and the late collapse it could be considered a freak. Today was different as we were terrible and got exactly what we deserved in the end.

Didnt help that Moff and Shankland (and Moore when he came on) were all as bad as i've seen them. Touch miles off. And both full backs had shockers.

Didn't help that we again resorted to pumping long balls up to them, they are not that type of players.

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The 3 boys we have in the middle of the park, Scott Martin, Mark Whatley and Blair Yule could still be running about like madmen even now to be fair.

Great energy in there and sounds like we ground out a win because of it.

You were all over us in the second half,  your first goal was inevitable. Less said about the second the better.

Overall a bad day and the day where the season swings in Raiths way and we'll never catch them again.

First half performance by our standards was poor. No urgency or tempo in attack and sloppyness to the passing with the inability to do the basic pass at times and reverted quite often to route one with Shankland losing the arial battle all game.  Difficult to tell from the highlights and i never saw it at the game but looked like a hand ball.

Second half we simply never got going and the longer the drivel went on it was clearer the inevitable was going to happen and when Higgans went off it became a formality. No options on the bench didn't help and the less said about Hart the better. One thing that concerned me though was when Higgens went off there was no leaders on the park, nobody motivating the players when we were clearly struggling and that was alarming as they all seem to just give up.

With the injury list getting bigger by the week and us down to one fit CB it's going to be grim for the next month at least and Arbroath will most certainly put us out of the Scottish Cup unless for a miracle. This is no rant at McCall or the team simply just the truth.

That'll be the 7th home game this season that we've conceded 2 or more goals.  The one off freak result defence is wearing thin.  Punting long balls to Shankland and Moffat for most of the 2nd half is absolutely criminal.  Looks like Shankland was unlucky with the off side decision though.  Moving Bell to centre back rather than Adams made no sense and the midfield just fell apart after that.  Adams is great in a scrap, but is desperately limited when a football match breaks out.  Injuries are killing us, but we shouldn't be falling apart to the extent we are.

That McCall decided to pretty much play without wide players and lose any form of out ball when we were struggling other than long punts up the park is also worrying.

ETA after seeing the winner again it is just truly mental from Hart. Bell is the right side of the Arbroath player - even worst case if Hart stays on his line and the Arbroath player has the beating of Bell we have someone covering in the middle. Regardless of that Bell was favourite for the ball anyway.

Archived