The Wine Club

Tenkay

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Interesting fact. I have a cellar. There's no wine in it though. Couple of bikes, some smokeless fuel, and an old bag of cement. Gone hard.

Sounds like you know what you are talking about, a bit like myself. I'll usually ask a waiter to pour a little bit, let me sip it and then pour the rest.

I'm very much into the Marlborough sauvignon  blancs at the moment. Aldi do a couple of excellent ones.

27 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I love a nice Malbec, but red wine has started giving me crippling, existential dread hangovers without me having very much to drink, so I've pretty much stopped drinking it.

I can't stick white wine at all. 

Are you a tea drinker ? The tannin in tea can kick start the tannins from the night before apparently. Just an idea.

44 minutes ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Mrs Ferrino can never get the hang of whether supermarkets put their prices on the shelf above or below where the wine is. She bought me 2 bottles of Barolo the other day when I'm quite happy with any old shite you could put on your chips.

I'll take them off your hands if you like....

Jesus H Christ, people talk about wine here and I'm getting more and more humble. I've always considered wine to be a weak old drink, I'm a beer and vodka person myself (no, not at the same time).  Yes, I sometimes order wine at a restaurant , but blue? Never even heard of it. Well, it certainly doesn't help that the places I go to don't have particularly good wine selection.

Now that I've established that I have no class, I'm going to keep reading and then pretend I knew things I learn in front of my mates.

On 02/01/2018 at 13:37, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

'Rustic' wine rack I made out of old pallets. Thank you.

5a4b8b14d8044_winerack.thumb.jpg.d5d1a08fd2c1f0df70384a6ddbc260f5.jpg

You shouldn’t store wine upright. The corks dry out (those with corks) and the wine goes off. 

Other than that, I like the look of the rack.

If I leave France one day, it's the wine I'll miss the most. 

This is my go-to wine. Gérard Bertrand Gris Blanc Rosé (Pays d'Oc) - about seven euros.

c59436ff1663f401ab565cefdfa7fce8.jpg

Or if I'm feeling flush enough to splash out 14 euros, it's on this. Chablis, the king of wines. 

14611-250x600-bouteille-domaine-william-

6 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Is there any real benefit of corks? They have to be kept moist, they can be a pain to get out, they seem utterly impracticable compared to screw tops.

If you get real corks, you can put them in the brown recycling bin. If you get a plastic 'cork' I think it goes into the general waste. The metal screw caps go into the blue bin with the cans (I think). 

Amend colours of bins according to which Local Authority you are in!

12 hours ago, 18May1991 said:

You shouldn’t store wine upright. The corks dry out (those with corks) and the wine goes off. 

Other than that, I like the look of the rack.

Thanks, it's never in the rack long enough to dry out though.

Putting all the Partridge excerpts to one side, I'm quite big on the heavy red wines. One of my great joys was when I was in Buenos Aires by myself for a few days and the restaurants just dished out the Malbec as if it was table water. Meant I was drinking at least two bottles of free Argentinian Malbec every day.

I was also in Cape Town last month so went to a handful of the vineyards for a bunch of tastings (Groot Constantia etc). Found myself to be a "hmm, that's nice, hmm that's nice, that's also nice, hmm I like that one" kind of guy. Can't smell or taste anything the notes suggest though, it's all wine to me.

As for whites, I only really go for Chardonnay, perhaps Sauvignon Blanc at a push. I don't say this often about any food or drink, but I hate Pinot Grigio. Absolutely foul stuff.

I got a bottle of Tignanello for Christmas which got drank on Hogmany. Was really good, however I got a one off Brunello di montalcino 2010 I got from lidl which was fantastic at about a quarter of the price. It's never been available again though. The one in asda wasn't as good, tesco have one that I may try at some point.  Got an amazing verdicchio at an italian in Edinburgh once , but I never got the name of it. Greywacke Pinot Gris is prob the best white wine I've found in shops, but they usually have all the other ones than the pinot gris.  I like Bordeaux reds, but you usually have to pay a fair whack to get a decent one.

Archived