ML5 v ML6

17 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

Seems a bit early for an inspection its to piss down like this all day. 

Haven't been to the rovers since we were all in the 1 stand whats the “away” stand like ? 

Wet and cold (on a day like this)

And to the match itself. Rovers the better team in the first half without looking like scoring. Got ahead early in the second but when Airdrie equalised - Furtado was fortunate that the keeper's block cannoned back to him - they took the upper hand. Rovers deserved the late equaliser in a game high in endeavour but devoid of skill amidst atrocious weather. Point keeps us clear of the bottom two and in touching distance of the teams above.

2 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

And to the match itself. Rovers the better team in the first half without looking like scoring. Got ahead early in the second but when Airdrie equalised - Furtado was fortunate that the keeper's block cannoned back to him - they took the upper hand. Rovers deserved the late equaliser in a game high in endeavour but devoid of skill amidst atrocious weather. Point keeps us clear of the bottom two and in touching distance of the teams above.

At this time of night I agree with your analysis. Maybe others will erupt tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Bold Rover said:

Bold,

Have to disagree. Nothing in it at all in the first half - second half Airdrie were better and against the run of play Rovers scored but Airdrie  rallied and should have won but for a couple of naive decisions late on that resulted in the Rover's goal.  But  good seeing a half decent crowd after New Year.

The first half was tough watching, and calling it "scrappy" would be overselling it.  Neither team was able to retain possession, pass the ball or build any periods of pressure.  The conditions were hardly ideal, but neither side played well enough to overcome them.  Neither side created much of note, and it was telling that the best chance of the half came from Ferguson's botched clearance.

The second half was much better.  In so far as there was a run of play, it seemed to me that Rovers scored against it, and even when they did and were leading, I never felt we were going to lose the game.  Furtado was fortunate, as Bold Rover says, to get a second hit for his goal.  Thereafter Airdrie were certainly the better side, though apart from the second goal and Stewart's shot which he pulled to the right of the near post, we didn't create much in the way of chances.  The Rovers' goal felt like it was coming.  It seemed like a feeling of panic had set in to the Airdrie players, and for the second time in our current run of five unbeaten, we tossed away three points right at the death (Cove in the cup was another late collapse, of course).  That was disappointing - Ferguson had a good save which led to a corner, and Watt's thumped clearance to nobody invited the pressure right back onto us.  Had we broken for a counter attack at that point, we'd have won - either by sealing it with another goal, or by just getting the ball up the other end for another half minute.

Disappointing to lose a late equaliser, but a draw was probably about the right result.  We were, I think, the better team, but never created enough to put the game to bed.  Edwards and Stewart were our best men, I thought.  

Still, five unbeaten isn't a bad wee run, especially given how poor we've been at other times this season.  I don't know what scope there will be for improving the squad when off-field matters are concluded, but an experienced centre back and an out-and-out striker should be on the top of our list. 

Both teams struggled in what was shit conditions. Both teams I thought tried hard and battled hard giving it a go. No real quality though which wasn’t a shock given the conditions it wasn’t a day for “silky fitbaw”. Terrible way to concede an equaliser so late on but a draw was about right tbh as both teams created next to f**k all other than the goals. Neither team really dominated in large spells it was a game off hoofball and hope for the best again fair play in those conditions. 

Both teams I think would have taken a point beforehand and both teams will go away relatively happy. 

Never understood the analogy of looking the better side without creating anything. Think thats tinted spectacles talk for its been shite but I love my team. First half was the worst half you’ll see all season. 

Archived