Attendances - Best in Europe

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/4/2018 at 21:37, EdTheDuck said:

Having a competitive league won't, except on a limited basis. What does that even mean anyway? Do folks imagine all 12 clubs tied together with just a couple points separating 1st & 12th? Even if it means one of The Rest battling it out with Celtic or Rangers for the title why would that mean better crowds at the team in fifth or 9th?

A top league where you had at least 4 different Champions in a 10 year period would be competitive enough for me.

8 hours ago, The_Judge said:

A top league where you had at least 4 different Champions in a 10 year period would be competitive enough for me.

Agreed. A few different teams with a genuine chance of winning the league would be  great. And if it could be a variety of different teams over the years all the better.

To me, a "competitive" league would be one like the English used to have - a league in which a talented manager could arrive at a middling club, assemble a decent squad without having obscene amounts of money to spend, and have a realistic chance of winning the top prize. Before someone mentions Leicester, read the criteria again  :P

Here, when one of the champions-elect went bust, they started again in the bottom tier with the second-highest spend in the country. The idea of competition is non-existent at the top end. Anyone with an interest in the long-term health of the game would be trying to think of ways to change that but, as we know, there's no appetite for anything other than reliance on Old Firm FC.

10 hours ago, The_Judge said:

I was specifically addressing the question of what would improve attendances and in that context I reiterate that a competitive championship would only have a limited improvement on attendances i.e. on those clubs involved, not on the also-rans figures.

That isn’t the same as saying I wouldn’t want to see someone else winning the title. It would be great if we could see a situation like the first 20 years after WW2 when 7 different teams won the title in 20 years. Unfortunately, over a 38 game 9-month slog where wealth is concentrated in just a couple of clubs it isn’t going to happen.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Another myth busted... first chart shows average admission in Scotland was £19.20 last season and was lower than e.g. England, Spain, Germany (always cited), Switzerland, Turkey + Italy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42715295

I doubt that any sane person claimed that the average admission to a Bundesliga match was cheaper than in it is in Scotland. The ticket prices in Germany vary wildly between the premium and diddy options though, so it is still entirely possible to watch a far higher standard of football than you'd get at Rugby Park or Hamilton's ridiculous dump. 

I know Celtic are always charged more but I dont think I have paid less than 20 pounds for a top flight game involving Celtic in the past decade. Possibly since the turn of the millennium.

Was the turn of the millennium when you started paying adult prices?

1 minute ago, killiepiemuncher said:

It’s £20 at Rugby Park, so you’ll need to get out more.

I was there this season :lol: my memories fucking shite. 

I dont think I ever went to an away game till after then tbh. But yes I would have been young enough for most childs tickets

And child tickets would appear to be included in the UEFA benchmark of average gate revenue per fan

As well as corporate tickets, OAPs, Students, Comps etc...

Which would explain the figure dipping below £20

I doubt that any sane person claimed that the average admission to a Bundesliga match was cheaper than in it is in Scotland. The ticket prices in Germany vary wildly between the premium and diddy options though, so it is still entirely possible to watch a far higher standard of football than you'd get at Rugby Park or Hamilton's ridiculous dump. 

Most clubs in Scotland seem to have a fairly flat pricing policy. Maybe the same price throughout or maybe an extra couple of quid for the main Stand compared to behind the goals

Hearts vary from £19 to £30 for category B which is a huge variation by Scottish standards

But in other bits of Europe the prices are even more spread out.

I just checked and tickets for Vitesse Arnhem vs SC Herrenveen are available between €17 and €55

Archived