Clyde v Annan Athletic

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rotten again and again and again.

Anyone who says that those kind of performances that we've seen over the goalless period is acceptable is wrong whether it's a new manager or not.

No one watches football to enjoy dull 0-0s. It's meant to be an entertainment after all.

During those matches you can count on the fingers of one hand the number of decent chances created by the team. (that's five fingers, not the six that you get with Annan residents)

Draws won't get us up the league table.

Goodwillie looks a shadow of himself. He just doesn't look interested at all.

Why bring on Lamont instead of Ferguson?

Why play Nicoll and Lang against 10 men?

Why not leave more players up the field at Annan corners? Especially when playing against 10.

We set up not to lose, not to win.

On top of that, Nicoll is sent off for a text book tackle.

No opposition player anywhere near. No studs showing. Clean tackle but sees red.

Two blatant dives from Annan players; no cards.

I thought Annan played well with 10 men. The defensive Clyde formation didn't stop Annan from making the Bully Wee defence look a shambles at times. They deserved at least a point.

4 hours ago, marco44 said:

My prediction was correct (Annan never lost)
Annan now in the play off position.
Clyde look like they are going to be in the relegation fight at the end of Season.

Relegation fight ? aye we are pish but we still played yous off the park again ?  you annan fans never make any sense 

We're absolutely going to be in a relegation fight. 2 wins all season in the league. More midweek games to play than anyone else in the league. We've barely had an effort on goal in 4 or 5 games. Absolute rubbish. I can only imagine where we'd be if we weren't putting a bit of effort in. We've only lost 6 games (the same as Stirling!!) but we're miles off the teams above, and could easily lose to Edinburgh/Cowden when we next play them.

I highlighted Nicoll at half-time not because he was necessarily the worst player (although he may well have been, but there were obviously others), but because that type of game showed up what is less obvious to people other weeks. He doesn't get the ball out of his feet or turn quickly enough.  He only passes the ball with the inside of his foot which limits the range of his passing. His ball-winning is interspersed with diabolical challenges (I felt he was unlucky for his red card yes, but his first booking was a typically brain-dead foul). And given the usual shouts, from the usual suspects, about "heart" and "hiding", I'd put it out there that he was gutless today. Totally scared to move forward with the ball, completely petrified to attempt a pass of any difficulty. You only had to look 10 yards to the side to see Lang who didn't have a great game (MotM presumably for one burst down the wing?) but was able to take the ball on the half-turn and always looked to pass or move forward with it. This ultimately isn't a go at Nicoll though; it was actually embarrassing that Lennon left him on there after the interval and a worrying piece of poor management. He can't be in the team if we're looking to play any sort of football, or break down a packed defence.

Not that some of the others were any better. I've no idea how McNiff is playing at left-back again when we've got two natural alternatives. He'd not have helped us against 11, and against 10 he was a complete waste of space. Again, the manager's fault, not McNiff's. We could have maybe used him at the back-post for a knockdown or two? Other than that? No idea how he played out the 90 minutes doing the same thing. Ramsay anonymous as usual but like Lamont/Love completely starved of service by the quartet we had "play-making". 

Duffie had a nightmare but I might give him a wee bit of slack as he's not played for a full month with his illness and the postponements. Munro plays like Arbroath/Forfar fans said he would; heads the ball, organises, makes mistakes on the deck. Love had three or four shots on goal and with a bit of fitness may well score us a goal or two but he was very much on the periphery of the game after the break. Lang will be a decent player, he looked a bit off the pace at times with his lack of games but physically he's good and technically he's better than what we have. Makes a huge difference having someone with a bit of pace and strength. That said, he and Love are probably not the match-winning quality which we desperately need.

Goodwillie gets his own paragraph as he genuinely looked like he had a hangover. You'd probably not sub him as he can still produce something but he's lucky so many of his team-mates were poor.  Very worrying.

Positives were Currie who made a terrific save from Swinglehurst, swept up well and showed a bit of urgency to try and get a counter attack on the go. Home as well just continues doing his job and not making daft mistakes. Not all of the Annan additions have been a failure. I thought Lamont showed a lot of endeavour and desire to get on the ball that a few of his team-mates lacked; not everything came off for him but he didn't hide from the ball. The few times we did manage to pass the ball between their defence/midfield, he was involved. The three of them will get my MotM points. Ferguson and Smart could both have been brought on sooner.

No idea what Lennon was doing after the Nicoll red card; we basically saw out the game with four at the back, four up front, and Lamont completely on his own in the centre of midfield. Annan had a few chances to exploit it but fortunately were out on their feet by that time. To play against 10 men for 84 minutes, and only have a few set piece chances to fall back on, is embarrassing. It's not good enough. On the back of 4 score-less games it's even more depressing.

In truth, Annan deserved to win. They should have scored right on half-time when Omar hit the post, and given that they had ten men, countered well throughout.  Had a goal ruled out for offside, and Currie as said above made a terrific save to keep out Swinglehurst. Henderson was a waste of space though; he even managed to block a shot from a dangerous free-kick. 

The referee was complete garbage. Got the Annan red card right but the dive he let Fergusson away with was scandalous. I thought Swinglehurst could have gone for the foul on Lamont (it was a bit more than "taking one for the team"), and he definitely should have received a second yellow for his foul on Ferguson (given what Munro had been booked for). Osolador's yellow was even worse; the Annan player has kicked through the ball and then his follow-through has hit Smart's knee. Nicoll's second yellow card seemed really harsh. I'm not even sure that it wasn't a foul the other way. He even gave the Annan goalie a talking to for taking his time at a goal-kick when Smart had knocked the ball right past him and he had to go fetch it.

I'm still 99% confident that Lennon will get us going the right direction eventually, but it's going to be a hard slog. Maybe an away game or two might play to our strengths a bit more (Montrose, Berwick and Annan have all been not really bothered about scoring a goal). I'm not sure I can take another false dawn though, and it's really not been an impressive start.

Very poor today; totally unable to break down an Annan team who knew exactly how to defend with 10 men. Our two full backs were awful trying to produce something wide and it was crying out for Lowden to replace McNiff at half time, if not before it if Lennon had been brave. I know Lowden was poor last time out, but today was taylor made for his style of play and producing crosses. Duffie is just a bombscare.

Goodwillie is obviously either completely down with the off field stuff or by being continually starved of any kind of support or quality service that his game is gone just now, we desperately need another forward. Liked Lang, at least he tries to move us forward but totally pointless playing him beside Nicoll who does not have a creative bone in his body. Very conserning performance today and if Munro stays (and after last two games I'm not so bothered) then can someone remind him what colour of top Clyde play in as he seems to be unable to find a colligue.

Finally... The referee was not the reason we failed to get 3 points today but he was absolutly hopeless from start to finish, failed to manage the game completely today; awful!

That would get football stopped. 

After 5/10 mins of playing the 10 men we looked clueless as to how to break them down. Love started lively but fell away, I assume due to fitness and not having played. We played the ball across the back constantly and played into annans hands. Goodwillie isn't short of criticism, he was poor. 

Darren Ramsay, I can't put into words how bad he is. Reminds me of trouten and Mccolm, totally heartless and hides away. Gauls me that we paid money for that shite. 

Seems to me that Lennon has little to no confidence in most of the players that chapman brought, and has set up the way he has. Needs to be a bit braver for me though. 

Dire stuff again today.

Like Berwick last week, Annan were happy enough to sit back after the sending off. Mcniff and Duffie has plenty of space at times down the wings but we were far too slow to get the ball to them with both having a rotten game anyway. Nobody in the middle of the pitch willing to drive forward with the ball.

Of the new signings, Love started brightly but faded quickly. Lang looked decent enough but we really didn't need two defensive midfielders against ten men.

I thought Ferguson looked decent when he came on. If he can finally stay fit then would be worth a start.

Nicol has been lucky to stay on the pitch in other games. You just can't clatter through players they way he does anymore. Harsh for the second yellow.

I thought the second shot we had cleared off the line looked over but Annan had the better chances to win it which is frightening considering how long they had 10 men for.

Goodwillie, Duffie, McNiff and Ramsey were all garbage. Love disappeared fairly early too. Impossible to win when you have half a time playing so poor.

I see Edinburgh wiped the floor with a very poor Berwick side and that's despite playing Beattie and Scullion at the back. While we've barely had a shot on goal the last four games.

Nevermind this time next year we will be cruising on the the river of good and the good people of cumbernauld and the surrounding area will be a lot healthier

Oh and the football club well does that really matter ?

On to the game horrendous to watch usual crap trotted out that it's hard to play against 10 men [emoji23] left two sitting midfielders on for just about the whole game at one point I counted 6 Clyde players around the half way line and not an Annan player near them two shots in goal whole game is deplorable
GoodWillie didn't play well but he is starved of any decent service and no wonder he looked a shadow of himself
Thought Nicol did ok tremendous last ditch tackle in the first half lang did ok for his first match , love and Lamont anonymous Ramsay total waste if space , actually thought Duffy played well first half second he faded have given currie some stick in the past but recently he had players well
All in all little or no progress from this time last season, you could probably argue it's worse ( certainly to watch )
The chairman can put any spin he likes on progress at the club but have a look at the league table

That was the most heartless Clyde team I have ever seen. Not one player looked interested and tbh I would've subbed Goodwilly at half time. He's been absolutely shocking the last couple games.

11 passengers on the park not one positive to take from that

I’d say after going down to ten men Peter Murphy’s tactics were absolutely spot on! We looked solid the whole game and on chances created should have won it. Some new attacking signings for us this month and the we have a real chance at the playoffs.

Clyde simply didn’t have the ability to use the ball going forward it was all side to side.

Solid performance yesterday, down to ten men really early, good management decision to replace Dan (Orsi) with Hoops, this  left two lines of four for most parts of the match with Annan quite comfortably letting Clyde play lots of square balls in their own half and the middle of the park. It felt like a game we could easily have won, the stats read well for a ten man team:

On a different matter I'm hearing that there could well be an investigation into alleged racial comments made by one of the Clyde players towards Rabin Omar.

ClydeStats.PNG

The stats don't lie folks. Another hard season on the cards. If you don't score goals you don't win games simple. This season looks like being worse than last season. I'm sure we are well of the pace in relation to points gained at this stage last season. It's looks like match or do better than Cowdenbeath to survive again. I think it's time our board concentrate their efforts on the football club. I'm sick like a lot of other fans regarding the club only being interested in it's community work. If the current board wish this to continue, then by all means continue in this vain. What I would say though is step aside and let others concentrate on the football club. I hope you are listening Mr Innes. You are as guilty of this as the previous Chairman. This approach doesn't and will never get you 3 points on a Saturday. A phrase you used time and time again last June.

[quote post="11857515" timestamp="1514984091" name="Galabankie":
On a different matter I'm hearing that there could well be an investigation into alleged racial comments made by one of the Clyde players towards Rabin Omar.

Definitely something going on between Omar and Some of the Clyde players after the game.

I heard last night Ally Love and some family members after the game got into a brawl with Omar and his family over an alleged racial comment in the car park after the game but I don’t know how much is true

Wonder if that was a continuation of the wee scuffle after the match.

Archived