Stranraer vs Ayr

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great performance today with Forrest in particular being a standout.

Adams and Rose in midfield gave the defenders behind them protection and we looked ok at the back for the majority of the game.

Stranraer look in a bad way and with no strikers they’ll struggle to score. Turner and Beith look like good players but others like Hamill look like they can’t be arsed.

A good result and one that hopefully sends us on another good run. Two big games coming up.

Interesting comments by McCall talking on the Stranraer interview. Saying that the injured boys won’t make it for Saturday so he’ll try and get an experienced midfielder in on loan.

6 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Stranny are in a bad way, most teams will beat them now. Raith have a game in hand against them, only one winner.

Yet to see a game of football with more than one winner....

Pretty much coasted it all game apart from a spell towards the end once the three subs came on. 

Looked a different team with Rose not being at CB, because we didn't spend all game passing the ball between Higgins, Rose and Ferguson for a change, quick balls out wide and all five goals tucked neatly in the corners where Belford just waves at them on the way past.

Good to see the Stranraer under 12's choir group made it to the game, 15 unbroken voices singing Ayr Ayr f**k yer Ayr in almost perfect harmony was very festive 

Can’t argue with the score in the end but as stated we won’t win games playing without a striker , thought 0-2 flattered Ayr at halftime but despite our possession and pressure on Ayr shaky defence we just never looked like scoring , though Bell had the better of Adams especially first half but second half we folded and Ayr ran riot , score kept at 5 thanks to our keeper. I feel so sorry if we are going to ask young players that have little or no first team experience to try and save our season . The young lads played well but it’s is huge step up and a much more physical game than what they will be used to . Ayr look like champions and will finish top or at least second, hard to say how our season will go now , if more players go as the manager hinted then I fear the worst but if we can keep what we have and somehow bring in a striker then I think we’ll survive but promotion highly unlikely now .

Looking forward to Queen’s Park next week where I think the young lads will find it a little easier than today with more space and hopefully a little more time than Ayr allowed . A win next week would be a huge confidence boost for us but it won’t be easy and a defeat will see us drop further down the table . 

Thought we didn’t ok in patches. Individual errors again costing us dear. Thought we held our own in first half. Had a good 10-15 minute spell in first half were Ayr couldn’t get out there half and looked very nervous at the back. Can see why you have been conceding a few goals. Then once Moffat scored the 2nd it was curtains. Ayr ran all over us for first 15-20 mins in second half and we just couldn’t cope. Stand outs were Beith turner and bell for me. Thought bell hand Adams in his back pocket until he got moved into centre half. Thompson gave 100% up top but when you play a sitting centre mid up top the writing was on the wall really. Really impressed with the 3 under 20s that got a came. McGowan at left getting his full 90 mins at senior level was excellent after a nervy start. Big game for us now against Queen’s Park. Ayr looked a real threat going forward. Alan Forrest was unplayable at times. Thought after Moffat went off Ayr lacked a wee spark up top. But fair play to Ayr they deserved there win. 

Thought we didn’t ok in patches. Individual errors again costing us dear. Thought we held our own in first half. Had a good 10-15 minute spell in first half were Ayr couldn’t get out there half and looked very nervous at the back. Can see why you have been conceding a few goals. Then once Moffat scored the 2nd it was curtains. Ayr ran all over us for first 15-20 mins in second half and we just couldn’t cope. Stand outs were Beith turner and bell for me. Thought bell hand Adams in his back pocket until he got moved into centre half. Thompson gave 100% up top but when you play a sitting centre mid up top the writing was on the wall really. Really impressed with the 3 under 20s that got a came. McGowan at left getting his full 90 mins at senior level was excellent after a nervy start. Big game for us now against Queen’s Park. Ayr looked a real threat going forward. Alan Forrest was unplayable at times. Thought after Moffat went off Ayr lacked a wee spark up top. But fair play to Ayr they deserved there win. 

Without Moffat everything sort of grinds to a halt. Shankland and Moore haven’t played for long enough together to form a good partnership so you should really be playing one of them with Moff in behind.

Bell did the right thing in hitting Adams early doors. Showed that he wasn’t going to be walked over. Adams tried to get a niggle in a few times but contributed well going forward at times.

If I were Stranraer I’d get Jamie Hamill to f**k. Looks completely disinterested which in such a big game is worrying.

32 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

What a performance from Cameron "Cammy" Belford there, especially at Ayr United's second goal. He seems to wave the ball into the net in the casual manner of a traffic cop. 

My favourite moment.

15 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Without Moffat everything sort of grinds to a halt. 

I'm sorry , this cannot pass uncommented.

He was stinking the place out for the last month until his goal today. Not many complete passes, not much influence on the game. Not doing very well.

I'm sorry , this cannot pass uncommented.
He was stinking the place out for the last month until his goal today. Not many complete passes, not much influence on the game. Not doing very well.

And yet he’s still our best player. Most attacks go through him and whenever he is subbed off we don’t look like the same team.

He’s not the same player he was and I’ll be very surprised if he reaches 20 goals in the league. Sometimes he goes missing in games because we don’t always play to his strengths.

How many times this season have we resorted to punting the ball up front? Granted we’ve not had a lot of options because our midfield has been obliterated in recent weeks but long balls don’t work with him. Whenever we play the ball on the deck 9/10 Moffat is our best player.

Shankland and Moore will get all the goals but imo Moffat is the most important player in our team.

1 hour ago, somerset_lad00 said:

If I were Stranraer I’d get Jamie Hamill to f**k. Looks completely disinterested which in such a big game is worrying.

Worth a good few mistakes a game. Fully accept players at this level are going to make silly errors. Problem is for a player of his experience you'd expect him to be out there trying to lift other and help the team mates through a game, his head is the first to go down.

Think he's ready for a couple of seasons in the juniors before he hangs his boots up.

Disappointing  as on paper he looked a good addition.

1 hour ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Without Moffat everything sort of grinds to a halt. Shankland and Moore haven’t played for long enough together to form a good partnership so you should really be playing one of them with Moff in behind.

Bell did the right thing in hitting Adams early doors. Showed that he wasn’t going to be walked over. Adams tried to get a niggle in a few times but contributed well going forward at times.

Totally agree about Moffat. After he went off thought Ayr were still deadly going forward, Moore and shankland still deadly. But without Moffat just something was missing. 

Yes bell hitting jamie earlier doors was what many of us fans expected after the red card not red card at Somerset last time. Thought he set the tone for us at times today. Jamie tried to get him back but that’s was vintage bell today and Adams just couldn’t eat near him. 

Hamill should be sticking out like a sore thumb for us. But sadly for us at times it’s for the wrong reasons. Was expecting big things from him due to his previous clubs (minus queens) but he’s been rotten. McDaid and Forrest had a field day against him. 

What Stranraer miss is a b*****d in the middle of the park, a Jamie Adams he does the dirty work that no one else wants to do we have no one that wants to do that. Personally I couldnt believe the difference in Ayr when Moffat went off that just shows his class. I think even if Cammy had went for the 2nd goal he would have still of been waving at it. But thats the difference in quality as our show pony was in the same position moments later and instead of pulling the trigger he pulls it behind Thommo attack finished...

As much as I rate Moffat, our most important player in my opinion is Lawrence Shankland. Can't understate the importance of having a striker as clinical as Shankland who is also terrific at holding the ball up and running with it. We're very lucky to have him. 

1 hour ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

As much as I rate Moffat, our most important player in my opinion is Lawrence Shankland. Can't understate the importance of having a striker as clinical as Shankland who is also terrific at holding the ball up and running with it. We're very lucky to have him. 

Totally agreed.

If Stranraer are getting rid of players can we have Kyle Turner?

First half we weren't as bad as the score would suggest. Just a bit disorganised at the back and lacking a striker. Ayr are good going forward so not the best team to play when you having to blood new players and morale is low for obvious reasons.  Felt the majority of the players still tried hard and the youngsters did well enough and will have benefited from the experience. Thought Farroll's interview  after the game was fair enough - it is what it is and we just need to ship out however many players need to go to safeguard the clubs future, regroup and move on.

Queens Park on Saturday is a key match. Hopefully have a wee bit more time to adjust and the standard of opposition won't be a high. Get the feeling we could be another player down by that point mind.

Archived