East Fife V Raith

14 minutes ago, YoungersPaleAle said:

Are you sure?  Did they get put out on penalties maybe?  Its no exactly getting beat really, is it?  I mean if it was a penalty shoot out, that is just a lottery and totally meaningless.  It's not as if it will be remembered as a great win for whoever won the penalty shoot out, will it?  I suppose the other teams fans will probably harp on about it being a great win though, just the same - dafties, what are they?

Am I right in thinking you’ve no had a ride in ages?

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, YoungersPaleAle said:

Are you sure?  Did they get put out on penalties maybe?  Its no exactly getting beat really, is it?  I mean if it was a penalty shoot out, that is just a lottery and totally meaningless.  It's not as if it will be remembered as a great win for whoever won the penalty shoot out, will it?  I suppose the other teams fans will probably harp on about it being a great win though, just the same - dafties, what are they?

I was there. GIRUY ya bitter mess. article-2576251-001CD32700000258-631_634x427.jpg.edcd351d552ad3b470a70ee359f1157b.jpg

Aye, nobody remembers that cup final where unfancied Raith Rovers beat Celtic on ‘sudden death’ penalties. Apart from you. You clearly remember it.

That and the Motherwell v Dundee United cup final of 1991 are probably two of the most memorable cup finals of the last 30 years.

9 hours ago, RR #1 said:

I was there. GIRUY ya bitter mess. article-2576251-001CD32700000258-631_634x427.jpg.edcd351d552ad3b470a70ee359f1157b.jpg

That doesn't look like the Kingdom Centre and that cup is NOT the Scottish Cup.  In fact, I think I can just make out East Fife FC at least 3 times on that cup??  It must be the League Cup then, as East Fife FC won the League Cup 3 times, didn't they?  In fact, they won it 3 times in less than 10 years didn't they?  That's some record that, eh. :thumsup2

1 hour ago, YoungersPaleAle said:

That doesn't look like the Kingdom Centre and that cup is NOT the Scottish Cup.  In fact, I think I can just make out East Fife FC at least 3 times on that cup??  It must be the League Cup then, as East Fife FC won the League Cup 3 times, didn't they?  In fact, they won it 3 times in less than 10 years didn't they?  That's some record that, eh. :thumsup2

True it's some record to have but most of our fans remember our cup wins. Yours all happened when a Moses basket was just called a basket.

That and the Motherwell v Dundee United cup final of 1991 are probably two of the most memorable cup finals of the last 30 years.

Is that the final that tam cowan occasionally references on off the ball?

I have never seen that final, might dig it out on youtube. First final I remember watching was united scudding the rangers 1-0 with big brewster scoring.

Tbf, I think if you're looking at iconic finals we're more likely to get referenced for upsets. You'd probably point to the 5-1 Hearts-Hibs game and the 3-2 win for Hibs over Rangers.

27/11 will always have a lesser place to me as I was only 5 at the time, so I don't really look on it as a glory period for me or try to lap it up if I'm talking to people about Rovers. It's undoubtedly an excellent achievement and one of the more remembered cup finals in Scottish football from within my lifetime but I'd far rather talk about seeing 16,000 Rangers fans streaming out after the diddy cup final. Nobody cares about the diddy cup, but it was a key moment in the banter years of Rangers, and we rocked up with an utterly dross team and beat them much to the despair of their fans. There's nothing better than sitting chatting at the football with your mates about days out like those and everything that happened. 

Is that the final that tam cowan occasionally references on off the ball?

I have never seen that final, might dig it out on youtube. First final I remember watching was united scudding the rangers 1-0 with big brewster scoring.

Yes. It was the game Motherwell won 4-3. Motherwell were 3-1 up. Dundee United equalise through Darren Jackson with a header at the death. Stevie Kirk (ex East Fife and Rovers) scores the winner.

Another cracker was the 3-3 Aberdeen v Rangers League Cup Final from around ‘87. Rangers won on penalties, but still a good game.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Yes. It was the game Motherwell won 4-3. Motherwell were 3-1 up. Dundee United equalise through Darren Jackson with a header at the death. Stevie Kirk (ex East Fife and Rovers) scores the winner.

Another cracker was the 3-3 Aberdeen v Rangers League Cup Final from around ‘87. Rangers won on penalties, but still a good game.

That was a cracking game, my memory is of Ally Maxwell being practically dead with injury but carrying on and making several good stops.

Dundee Utd needed a replay to beat East Fife that season, had they not done it then it probably would of led to East Fife defeating Motherwell in Final, probably by several goals

Tbf, I think if you're looking at iconic finals we're more likely to get referenced for upsets. You'd probably point to the 5-1 Hearts-Hibs game and the 3-2 win for Hibs over Rangers. 27/11 will always have a lesser place to me as I was only 5 at the time, so I don't really look on it as a glory period for me or try to lap it up if I'm talking to people about Rovers. It's undoubtedly an excellent achievement and one of the more remembered cup finals in Scottish football from within my lifetime but I'd far rather talk about seeing 16,000 Rangers fans streaming out after the diddy cup final. Nobody cares about the diddy cup, but it was a key moment in the banter years of Rangers, and we rocked up with an utterly dross team and beat them much to the despair of their fans. There's nothing better than sitting chatting at the football with your mates about days out like those and everything that happened. 

The 5-1 Hearts game was just a competent Hearts team absolutely dicking a poor Hibs team. It’s only memorable to neutrals because of the scoreline.

The best finals are the ding-dong end-to-end games where both teams are on their A game and there are plenty goals. The Hibs v Rangers 3-2 game is definitely up there.

I gave my tickets away for our diddy cup victory over Sevco and I really regret that. I felt properly ill at the time, so football wasn’t really first thing on my mind. Still, a great achievement for us. I know a lot of fans, me included, slagged Murray for some of his mind-numbing football and utterly mediocre league campaigns, but he did fantastically well for us in the Cups.

Archived