Queens v Dumbarton

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

Unless injured, Stephen Dobbie should never be subbed. Simple as that really.

That sounds utterly ridiculous.

I totally agree with it though.  Even yesterday when he wasn't great, he set up our best chance when playing the neat pass that put Kane through.  He's so different from anyone else we have that removing him voluntarily is absurd.  Removing him when chasing a win at home against a weaker team, is simply perverse.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We're on another poor run of form and results now, and without changes, it's hard to be too optimistic.  It's galling that we've got Dobbie, but probably won't even get a crack at the play-offs (the promotion ones, that is)  while he's on board.

is it the case that you're spending a large proportion of your budget on Dobbie, which is affecting the manager's options in bringing other players in?

Edited by aftershocker

I understand Stirling hasn't been great for you guys but for a team who is crying out for wide players I'm astounded he isn't being used. He's the type of player that needs and run of games and confidence, using him as a bit part player isn't how to get the best out of him.

So, can we have him back?

It's incredible he's featured so rarely. Even taking out of the equation I rate Stirling, he could be any decent LM and I find it bizarre he isn't getting a run. Naysmith seems to have some issue with wide left. Numerous times this season Rankin has been our widest player and he was playing in CM. Our LB has been expected to patrol that whole side. We were screaming for width yesterday and he had Rankin out wide who was awful. He eventually brings on Stirling and replaces him with our other wide player, leaving a CM out left! I have no idea why he is so reluctant to have two wide players on the park at the same time. I know we're not very good and he is maybe trying to pack the midfield but the reality is that no team in this division is spectacular. It's comfortably the worst division (quality wise) I can recall.

is it the case that you're spending a large proportion of your budget on Dobbie, which is affecting the manager's options in bringing other players in?

If rumours are to be believed his wages won't effect our wage bill. Even if that's not the case, he's worth every penny. You just need to see the stats above to see we'd be in a whole lot of trouble without him. I don't know what he's on but I would guess at an absolute maximum we could get 2/3 players for one of him. Even with 3 players in his place it would be a big task for them to compete with what he's achieved for us.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

We were screaming for width yesterday and he had Rankin out wide who was awful. He eventually brings on Stirling and replaces him with our other wide player, leaving a CM out left! I have no idea why he is so reluctant to have two wide players on the park at the same time.

Not sure what formation you think we were playing yesterday but John Rankin was at no point playing wide and I don't think he has any game this season, though he did it a couple of times last season. Tapping played a couple of early season games wide this season. Dykes and Murray were wide yesterday and Stirling replaced Murray directly.

Not sure what formation you think we were playing yesterday but John Rankin was at no point playing wide and I don't think he has any game this season, though he did it a couple of times last season. Tapping played a couple of early season games wide this season. Dykes and Murray were wide yesterday and Stirling replaced Murray directly.

SD, he was hugging the left side of the pitch late on yesterday. If he wasn't supposed to be playing LM then he was horribly out of place. It wasn't just for a brief attack either, he was there for around 10 minutes. He moved there soon before Dobbie was subbed as I expected the substitute to be Stirling for Rankin. And when Stirling was warming up he was still there and again I expected Rankin to be hooked. He remained there for a while after Stirling came on as well.

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

SD, he was hugging the left side of the pitch late on yesterday. If he wasn't supposed to be playing LM then he was horribly out of place. It wasn't just for a brief attack either, he was there for around 10 minutes. He moved there soon before Dobbie was subbed as I expected the substitute to be Stirling for Rankin. And when Stirling was warming up he was still there and again I expected Rankin to be hooked. He remained there for a while after Stirling came on as well.

Can't say I ever recall seeing Rankin out wide except when play took him there naturally rather than deliberately being stationed there.  I don't recall Dykes not being left sided, even after the subs. He was certainly out left in the last few minutes.

Are you suggesting that we had three forwards all occupying a central position then or are you suggesting Dykes swapped positions with Rankin which makes no sense at all?

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Can't say I ever recall seeing Rankin out wide except when play took him there naturally rather than deliberately being stationed there.  I don't recall Dykes not being left sided, even after the subs. He was certainly out left in the last few minutes.
Are you suggesting that we had three forwards all occupying a central position then or are you suggesting Dykes swapped positions with Rankin which makes no sense at all?

I'm not suggesting anything. All I'm saying is Rankin was definitely wide left for around 10 minutes yesterday just before Dobbie's sub and for a period after Stirling came on. As I said above, the reason I'm certain of this s because I was expecting Stirling to come on for him and was actually gobsmacked when he stayed on out wide. I commented on it at the time.

He was right on the touchline, so again, if he wasn't asked to play wide he was ridiculously out of position for a sustained period of time.

I'm not sure when he moved there or when he moved back centrally but looking at the sub times I estimate it was around the 70 minute mark he shifted there.

42 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm not suggesting anything. All I'm saying is Rankin was definitely wide left for around 10 minutes yesterday just before Dobbie's sub and for a period after Stirling came on. As I said above, the reason I'm certain of this s because I was expecting Stirling to come on for him and was actually gobsmacked when he stayed on out wide. I commented on it at the time.

He was right on the touchline, so again, if he wasn't asked to play wide he was ridiculously out of position for a sustained period of time.

I'm not sure when he moved there or when he moved back centrally but looking at the sub times I estimate it was around the 70 minute mark he shifted there.

Well you are saying he was stationed where Dykes had been so where was Dykes when that happened? And was Thomson holding central midfield all on his own?

As I say I can't say I noticed it at all.

I don't think we were playing 4-4- 2 yesterday - for the first half we played a 4-3-1-2 with Murray, Thomson and Rankine in midfield and Dykes playing in behind the front 2. There was nobody really wide left in first half hence the reason that Scott Mercer was able to push up from the LB berth. Second half I am genuinely not too sure what the formation was - don't think the players did either

Well you are saying he was stationed where Dykes had been so where was Dykes when that happened? And was Thomson holding central midfield all on his own?
As I say I can't say I noticed it at all.

I'm not suggesting he switched with Dykes or giving my view on the formation though. I'm outright saying Rankin was on the left. At that stage I had given up on trying to figure out what we were doing but I did notice him hugging the left side. At one point he had the ball near the corner and Mercer came up to support.

Ever since the win at Dunfermline I think we have looked very "flat"  going into games.  In the warm-up before that game and during it you sensed that the players were up for it but lately there seems to be a bit of lethargy throughout the whole team,  heads are down,  no banter or smiling faces during the warm-up and a sense of "let's get this over with."  Obviously we are missing some key players which will make things tougher but the morale seems to be suffering too.  Part of the Manager's job is to motivate his players and Naysmith looks to be struggling to do this. 

As for Dobbie's supposed "strop" when he was substituted,  quite understandable I would say when you see the likes of Dykes regularly  performing like Bambi on ice and staying on.  It would also be kinder to let young Connor Murray go out on loan as he doesn't look anywhere near ready for this level.  He has shown occasional flashes of good play but on the whole has been fairly ineffectual. 

That penalty shout we had in the first-half looks stronger on the highlights than I thought it was at the time. Certainly could be put into the 'seen them given' category. Aldo's save at the end is as magnificent as I remember it though.

44 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

That penalty shout we had in the first-half looks stronger on the highlights than I thought it was at the time. Certainly could be put into the 'seen them given' category.

Presuming you are talking about the one that hits the back of Connor Murray's arm as he's lying on the ground facing the opposite way that's never a penalty.  If you've 'seen that given' then it was given in error!

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Presuming you are talking about the one that hits the back of Connor Murray's arm as he's lying on the ground facing the opposite way that's never a penalty.  If you've 'seen that given' then it was given in error!

He does have his back to it, but he moves his arm into the ball, only he'll know if that was intentional/natural instinct or just unfortunate. Put it this way though it was far more of a penalty than the one West Brom got against Arsenal the other day!

5 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

He does have his back to it, but he moves his arm into the ball, only he'll know if that was intentional/natural instinct or just unfortunate. Put it this way though it was far more of a penalty than the one West Brom got against Arsenal the other day!

I don't think it's anywhere near as much a penalty as the West Brom one was to be honest. The Arsenal defender was facing the ball and moved his arm into the ball. It was a bit harsh but that's very much a "seen them given" decision.

West Brom Penalty

Murray was looking the other way and put his arm down as he fell. I don't believe for a second he has any idea where the ball is.