Queens v Dumbarton

Welcome to 2018. That performance would have embarrassed a League 2 Side. So we don’t start with Stirling and fortunately we do have Kerr still at the centre of defence. Occasionally Queens played some football but for the most part it was bloody dire hoofball to the front. We play midgets up there and have one tall guy who spends a lot of his time on the deck and wins 1 in 7 headers. Very little threat carried. Dumbarton were their usually awkward selves but the real disappointment from a blue perspective was the second half . Dumbarton did better playing much of it in Queens’ half and a superb save by Martin from a must score header kept us in the game. This game has almost cured me of football for good.

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm guessing that was more exciting on the BBC live text than it was to witness.

Pretty much, aye, though we possibly just shaded it. Aldo made two fantastic saves from the SeaGal and Nade, and Scott Gallacher made a good first half save from a John Rankin, and then an even better one when one-on-one with Chris Kane. That aside there wasn't a great deal of goalmouth action at either end - which can only be a good thing for us, given we know we aren't too hot going forward.

Considering that was a very new look defence we looked really solid. David Smith looked more like the David Smith from last season - despite being offered absolutely no support from Ally Roy, who Scott Mercer had a field day against. In the middle Dill and Dowie kept it simple, won their 50/50s and dealt admirably with Dobbie. Dick slotted in really nicely (oo er, etc) at LB, and didn't look like a guy who had only just became a Sons player. He's not as attacking as Boomer, but his forward distribution was good - and he set up a golden chance which we managed to turn into nothing. Defensively think Ross McCrorie at RB, and you're pretty much there. A couple of times he was caught out by balls over the top, but had the pace to recover. He won plenty of challenges, was first to a few loose balls and pretty solid in the tackle. He (along with the rest of the defence) can be pleased with their efforts.

Mango and Carsy in the middle of the park were probably shaded 55/45 in the first, and then won the second by a similar kind of scoreline. Froxy showed glimpses of what he can do, but still looks a bit rusty. Roy had a 'mare and Tom Walsh had a quiet game, but still looked like our main creator.

Up top I thought Calum Gallagher was fine. As seems to be the case quite often we lost something when he came off - though perhaps that says more about Greg Morrison than him!

Stevie's subs were a bit odd. He brought on Morrison for Roy and moved the SeaGal wide. Which made sense. Then, 20 minutes or so later, brought on Nade for the SeaGal and moved Morrison wide. Now, with the best will in the world, Greg Morrison is struggling in his natural position, he's therefore absolutely never a winger - and by God it showed. Mark Stewart can't return to fitness soon enough.

In summary. Defence: Good. Midfield: Meh. Strikers: Still need a new one.

I thought we did ok today and if anything were the more likely. Keeper did nothing wrong.

i liked dick who played well. Cgal lacked support but he doesn’t help himself .

two great saves by martin when we nearly nicked it 

my mom was dowie who was great

froxy getin caught on ball a bit too much 

Game wasn’t as bad as some have made out and I enjoyed my day 

Delighted with a point.Great result given  our injury worries.Would gladly take a draw on saturday vs the Pars.Hope we can get someone in by then...just a striker needed if we start to get others back and fit.Hutton will be back after the Pars game and Handling is nearing  full fitness and mark stewart is getting there.

Think we may be moving some players on though.CJ and KP are 2 that need first team football and are not going to get it at the rock any time soon.Problem is getting them a gig maybe.

Up against a poor part time club, and once again Dykes is picked and is hopeless,
I walking down the road after the game and all supporters were saying he will not do at this level, Naysmith has big problems, that game today will not fill seats, it was awful, the onl good thing was when the referee put us out of our misery.

Thought wee done really well unlike some people on this that constantly slag our boys off and kid on they support the sons two players who played today shouldn’t have as they were ill and being sick before getting on bus but raised themselves to help the cause so I think wee done well and could have won so think on before you slag boys off in team and u no who I’m talking about 

Edited by Rangeman

6 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
6 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:
Well that was fairly predictable.

I'm guessing that was more exciting on the BBC live text than it was to witness.

Not the worst no-score draw I've seen.  Plenty of effort from both sides, but a dearth of quality. Hardly worth standing all the way from Haymarket to Lockerbie on a seriously overcrowded Transpennine service to Manchester Airport:(.

Good summing up from S08. Much maligned both keepers (somewhat unfairly imo) with a couple of crucial saves each. For us, Liam Dick looks a sound replacement for the injured Boomer. David Smith filled in well for Sam Wardrop; Dowser and Hill solid as ever in central defence; Carswell and Barr competed well in midfield; Froxy had some nice touches in the first half, but faded a bit in the second; the SeaGal just about got pass marks, Walshie was fairly quiet and Ally Roy had a shocker.

Still, happy enough with a point at Palmerston. To end the day on a high note, caught the bus back to Lockerbie with a minute to spare and even got a seat on the train home:).

Sounds like it went the way I thought it would today just the usual dull fayre .

Never thought I would ever say this but I am quite pleased  I never made the effort to go today.

People talk about attendances not being great, well these are influenced most by what happens on the pitch not by how many school visits are made.

We have talented goalscorers in our squad but they are not encouraged to flourish.

This Manager will not do - he does not have the right approach to playing the game.

Sounds like it went the way I thought it would today just the usual dull fayre .
Never thought I would ever say this but I am quite pleased  I never made the effort to go today.
People talk about attendances not being great, well these are influenced most by what happens on the pitch not by how many school visits are made.
We have talented goalscorers in our squad but they are not encouraged to flourish.
This Manager will not do - he does not have the right approach to playing the game.

If we all had an attitude like yours then no one would turn up, but you’ll expect us to sign players this month.

Think turning up when the team is winning is called glory hunting, it’s the fans that are there win lose or draw that matter.

It’s easy to blame the manager, but what can he do on a shoe string budget that only gets worse because folk like yourself would rather come on here and spout shite instead of getting down and supporting the lads.

I see lots want stewart back asap think some people have  all got short memories wee were getting gubbed regular with him and nade upfront and wee lost here the last time wee played  here so watch what you wish for draw will do me plenty endeavour today  and as I said with sick players 

Edited by Rangeman

Up against a poor part time club, and once again Dykes is picked and is hopeless,
I walking down the road after the game and all supporters were saying he will not do at this level, Naysmith has big problems, that game today will not fill seats, it was awful, the onl good thing was when the referee put us out of our misery.

I thought Dykes was comfortably one of our better performers today. Certainly in the first half. He wasn't backing out of challenges and when he got the ball he looked to go forward. I'm still to be convinced by him but will give credit where it's due; I don't think he warrants criticism after his performance today.

It’s easy to blame the manager, but what can he do on a shoe string budget that only gets worse because folk like yourself would rather come on here and spout shite instead of getting down and supporting the lads.

Give it a rest with the budget chat will you? What has a small budget got to do with the eyebleedingly bad style of football he has us playing? As someone said above, some of our stuff today would look poor in the division below. I have no idea why we continue to hoof the ball forward. At one point in the first half someone rolled the ball back to Brownlie, without even looking up he kicked it straight up the park. And before anyone comes out with the "you can't expect Barcelona quality in this division", I don't expect that. I don't however think it's too much to ask for a few passes to be strung together. The amount of times we just hit it up the park was unreal. Stirling came off the bench and I don't think he went long once. He misplaced a pass or two but give me that over it going long and being lost anyway.

We will have one of the smallest budgets but even so, I'm sure our budget should stretch to players capable of passing a ball on the deck. It's hard not to criticise Naysmith when this has been a recurring theme since he's come in.

I thought we were really poor today and Mercer fully deserved his MoM award. He looks a far better prospect when he takes a touch and thinks for a second rather than booting it away. I can't recall many times he lost the ball or was beaten and in the first half he was one of our most dangerous players.

1 point from a possible 6 against the teams in 8th and 9th. Hardly promotion play-off stuff.