Glorious Greenock Morton v A Shite Scheme in Glasgow

1 minute ago, M0rtonfc said:

Would you say them building a stadium took them forward? Maybe I'm wrong with this one but what have they actually gained from their new stadiums?

They are all clubs with varied awkward legacies, long before the stadium issue arose. In those cases I think it's so mired in everything else going on that you don't get a true picture.

Even then I'd question Livi's inclusion. Almondvale was built for the newly formed club, so you'd have to consider the case for Meadowbank Thistle. So in that sense, I'd say the change to a new stadium albeit under the guise of a "new club" has progressed the team.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

They are all clubs with varied awkward legacies, long before the stadium issue arose. In those cases I think it's so mired in everything else going on that you don't get a true picture.

Even then I'd question Livi's inclusion. Almondvale was built for the newly formed club, so you'd have to consider the case for Meadowbank Thistle. So in that sense, I'd say the change to a new stadium albeit under the guise of a "new club" has progressed the team.

Yeah good point with Livi, that's fair do's!

35 minutes ago, Kingston Bud said:

St Mirren were unique in the fact we managed to sell our stadium and built a new affordable ground

The others as mentioned above couldn’t afford it.

I don’t blame Morton for not spending money they don’t have

In Raith's case the stadium refurbishment came at a time when we were in the then premier league, with good crowds and the stands themselves (bear in mind ours was not a new ground per say, but two new stands) paid for by the £950,000 we some how conned Bolton Wanderers out of for Steven McAnespie.

No, our awkward financial legacy were built solidly on the large sums of money burnt through trying to bounce immediately back to the top league under Jimmy Nicholl mk.2. That in turn used up all the cash we'd gotten from the Premier League days, and our continued backsliding in the league under ever poorer managers led to the sale of Starks' to the bank to keep us afloat. 

2 hours ago, Kingston Bud said:

What a load of nonsense as expected from you.

At least it wasn’t accompanied with the usual boring childish GIF you so love

Fact is Gary Harkins committed a shitebag tackle and was extremely fortunate to escape a red card.

I watched that tackle again and it looks more as if Harkins just went to control the ball with the sole of his boot.  I'm not sure if he even connected with the St Mirren player.  Maybe a foul at worst, but didn't look as if there was any malice in it as there might have been had he gone in at high speed.  He didn't jump in or have his studs up in the way Gary Oliver did later in the game, a tackle that looked pretty close to a red to me.

Can much work even be done to Cappielow with the train line bring there, Sinclair street basically touching the ground and Arnold Clark(s)? Based on some google images if the stadium was to be redeveloped there wouldn't be much room? I'm assuming the club wouldn't try to buy the land in proximity of the stadium and remove the likes of Arnold Clark and push the stadium away from the rail?

2 hours ago, Kingston Bud said:

Fact is Gary Harkins committed a shitebag tackle and was extremely fortunate to escape a red card.

That's your opinion, not necessarily factual. My opinion is that Alibi gets it right 2 posts above, and I think I will have had a better view of it than either you or the cameras did.

1 hour ago, M0rtonfc said:

Livi, Raith, Clyde, Airdrie, for a start! Rotten away stadiums that are hardly even filled on a Saturday, I'm sure those clubs are not in a brilliant financial situation either, unless I'm wrong.

I don't think you,ve picked good examples there for various reasons, some already mentioned.

And personally I really like Livi's ground, I think it's the best smallish newbuild ground I've been to in Scotland.

4 hours ago, LargsTON said:

Agreed. I remember on our forum a few years back some Morton fans stated they'd rather not get promoted to the SPL if it meant we had to seat the cowshed! Madness.

Well no it isn't, because if you seated the Cowshed for the purpose of playing top flight football then you'd absolutely kill the matchday experience as soon as the team is back in the second tier. Crowds would collapse as Morton fans  quite simply would not tolerate sitting in some shitey, plastic shoebox to watch a 17th game in three years at home to Livingston or some other nothing club. Fortunately that idiotic rule was ditched soon afterwards, but Morton should not have fallen into the trap experienced by so many other clubs in fucking up their ground for the sake of a few seasons' struggle at the top table (which we would have got at best given the squad and board that we had at the time). 

While both the ground and the club should be developed so that it could reach the top flight and thrive in it, it must be equipped so that the core support still want to go to games during the lean times.  That is what keeps a professional football club going: not drivel about 'revenue generation seven days a week'. If the fanbase isn't going because you made a tit of developing your ground then you're as well shutting the football club down (see Rovers, Raith; Clyde; 'The Airdrieonians').

I see no compelling reason why progress cannot be made at the club while also maintaining the integrity of the most historic ground in Scottish football. In fact, its unique cultural importance to the Scottish game should be recognised with a protected legal status now, so that Hawke or some other snake-oil chief executive in the future can't try to flog it to fund some shite alternative at IBM. 

That is what keeps a professional football club going: not drivel about 'revenue generation seven days a week'.

To an extent but if we have ambition beyond the top end of the championship then we must vastly increase our income streams which we can't do at Cappielow where we are totally hamstrung. I want to see us eventually be in a position to challenge for Europe, not fannying about and treading water as we are currently. I love Cappielow but I want Morton to progress and long term we must explore other options.

3 hours ago, boulderdomb said:

Can much work even be done to Cappielow with the train line bring there, Sinclair street basically touching the ground and Arnold Clark(s)? Based on some google images if the stadium was to be redeveloped there wouldn't be much room? I'm assuming the club wouldn't try to buy the land in proximity of the stadium and remove the likes of Arnold Clark and push the stadium away from the rail?

6 hours ago, Kingston Bud said:

What a load of nonsense as expected from you.

At least it wasn’t accompanied with the usual boring childish GIF you so love

Thanks for proving my point!

Thanks for proving my point!

I love your one line replies that never address the point raised or even offer debate.

That’s why your posts are so dull.

At least Rudolph Heckler offered an opinion. Whilst I don’t agree one bit with him at least he offers footballing debate.

52 minutes ago, Kingston Bud said:

I love your one line replies that never address the point raised or even offer debate.

That’s why your posts are so dull.

At least Rudolph Heckler offered an opinion. Whilst I don’t agree one bit with him at least he offers footballing debate.

You have that backwards. You never addressed the points I raised and resorted to infantile name-calling. If you come back with a reasoned argument, I'll be happy to continue replying. If not you continue with your incoherent rants and I'll sit back and continue laughing at you.

The decision is yours.

8 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

Setting aside the red herring of Queens Park/Hampden, but can you name a club that has gone "backwards" by improving their stadium?

I get the arguments, and I appreciate it can be galling for St Mirren fans to go on about it as we were effectively "gifted" ours for nothing, but off the top of my head I can't think of any.

Dunfermline,  Motherwell, Falkirk, Inverness, Livingston, the Airdrie,  all ran into difficulties after spending money they didn't have on ground improvements, indeed part of St Mirren's initial difficulties were linked with paying for the two new stands

St Mirren, St Johnstone, Dunbarton and Kilmarnock all benefited from getting their grounds redeveloped as have some of the others listed above. 

Morton, Ayr, Dundee all held back by their shitty grounds.  To be fair Cappielow is much  nicer that Sommerset  or Dens 

11 hours ago, M0rtonfc said:

No thanks but each to their own!

The only place I could think of would be Ravenscraig Stadium but it would need a hell of a lot of work in terms of road work etc... That was a few years ago before they built a school on the parks tho. Other than that your basically looking at IBM and Parklea which are both no good to any fan.

It's never going to happen EVER! The most that will ever happen to Cappielow is a roof over the WDE and bucket seats installed on the benches, maybe a roof over yer pie stall :) , that's all it needs to be fair!

If you were building a new stadium it would be in Port Glasgow. You're more a Port Glasgow club than a Greencock team any way.  I wouldn't burn Cappielow to the ground but the meat packer site did recently burn down and that might be suitable.  OR build it at pottery street just across the road.

You have that backwards. You never addressed the points I raised and resorted to infantile name-calling. If you come back with a reasoned argument, I'll be happy to continue replying. If not you continue with your incoherent rants and I'll sit back and continue laughing at you.
The decision is yours.

We all know you’re still hurting after last years complete meltdown after saints stayed up.

Feel quite sorry for you actually

If you were building a new stadium it would be in Port Glasgow. You're more a Port Glasgow club than a Greencock team any way.  I wouldn't burn Cappielow to the ground but the meat packer site did recently burn down and that might be suitable.  OR build it at pottery street just across the road.

Everything is moving from Greenock to Port Glasgow these days!

We all know you’re still hurting after last years complete meltdown after saints stayed up.

Feel quite sorry for you actually
To be fair to Gammy he's a totally different poster to last season even though we had some banter and he actually talks sense now sometimes. This seasons roaster award will be going to Finchy now that the old queen Virgin has crawled back under his rock.

Archived