Glorious Greenock Morton v A Shite Scheme in Glasgow

47 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

If we went up I wouldn't be surprised to see us making upgrades to the stadium but as things stand, there is absolutely no need for such things.

With all due respect, see my post above, there is a need for upgrading that away end.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

As a home fan with the nice terracing behind the goals and the cowshed yeah I can see why you guys love that stadium but as an away fan it's rotten. 

Pretty much spot on there mate! For an away fan it is indeed rotten as I've pointed out, how often do we get a big enough away crowd there that have to stand in the WDE? Not very often, as I say, right now we don't need to make big changes! If we went up I would love a roof to be put up but as it stands, it's never going to happen.

44 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

There is serious issues at hand if fans need to avoid standing in ankle deep puddles in any stand at any football ground. The stairs are crumbling, it was somehow managing to flood the other day...work that one out.

Water falls copiously from the sky in a form known as 'rain',  which accumulates during the season known as 'winter'. Didn't think that a walk-through would ever be needed for that, but here we are.

But at what cost? What if the new stadium brought more success on the pitch? What if the improved facilities helped to attract better players? What if young Greenock boys such as future Lewis Morgans started aspiring to play for you because you're a well-sorted, ambitious club that offers decent facilities and a clean stadium for their mams to sit in in comfort when they make their first team debuts? What if the new ground stopped being an unnecessary drain on resources, just on maintenance and upkeep? What if it offered new energy to the club by bringing all the fans back who have deserted over the years? What if it improved non-match-day revenue for the club?
If Ton fans were offered all that, and still voted to keep Cappielow, then they get precisely the amount of success they deserve, tbh.

I'd happily see Cappielow burnt to the ground tomorrow if it meant we were getting a brand new stadium that would at least give us the opportunity to catch up with imo clubs that should be our peers. I don't see how it'll ever happen though as other than the financial issue there's nowhere I can think of in the area suitable for a new stadium.

Only realistic place would be the IBM site but that would probably cost a fortune and take the ground to the opposite end of the town. If someone was willing so spend millions it could well be turned into a stadium and a training ground along with offices etc. 

I'm all for it. Closer to Largs.

Jeezo. The way some people are banging on about it you'd think we had asked them to live in the away end and bring up a family of ten kids - not stand there and behave themselves for two hours whilst enjoying a football match.

11 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

Jeezo. The way some people are banging on about it you'd think we had asked them to live in the away end and bring up a family of ten kids - not stand there and behave themselves for two hours whilst enjoying a football match.

I've never, ever had an issue with the WDE and it's general facilities. It's fine for what it is. At least they brought the toilets out of the 19th century in the last couple of years. 

What is desperately needs, though is a fresh layer of concrete underfoot. The current state of the concrete from entrance up to the top of the stand is dreadful and has potential to cause injury. Almost but not quite as bad as walking out of Brockville. 

5 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Jeezo. The way sollale are banging on about it you'd think we had asked them to live in the away end and bring up a family of ten kids - not stand there and behave themselves for two hours whilst enjoying a football match.

Could do with a proper pie stall rather than a salmonella burger van t hough I post my pie and Bovril from every away ground except Cappielow

13 hours ago, Kingston Bud said:

It was bounty happen

He maybe thought he was being a smartie but he's a bit of a flake in reality and the incident mars the game slightly. Anyway, back on topic - there wasn't much 'twix the teams, it wasn't the picnic some of your melts predicted and the result probably gave Utd a boost. And despite the controversy I liked both goal celebrations. Both guys miniature heroes to their support.

Any snickers gratefully received.

14 hours ago, LargsTON said:

I'd happily see Cappielow burnt to the ground tomorrow if it meant we were getting a brand new stadium that would at least give us the opportunity to catch up with imo clubs that should be our peers. I don't see how it'll ever happen though as other than the financial issue there's nowhere I can think of in the area suitable for a new stadium.

No thanks but each to their own!

The only place I could think of would be Ravenscraig Stadium but it would need a hell of a lot of work in terms of road work etc... That was a few years ago before they built a school on the parks tho. Other than that your basically looking at IBM and Parklea which are both no good to any fan.

It's never going to happen EVER! The most that will ever happen to Cappielow is a roof over the WDE and bucket seats installed on the benches, maybe a roof over yer pie stall :) , that's all it needs to be fair!

Archived